GO!

Article in the Dogster Blog About ONLY Adopting Shelter Dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 10 of 11: Viewing entries 91 to 100)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  
Stella

I'm from Broken- Bow, we don't- play that!

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 6:27pm PST 
@Kali

I know what you mean.

I've heard to be wary of anyone asking how much you paid for your dog. One reason for this is because the person might be looking to steal it.

Still even if that wasn't the case I wouldn't feel comfortable telling anyone.

When I looked into getting a dog I checked out petfinder but I couldn't realy find what I was looking for. Most of the dogs I saw were either seniors or had special needs.

It was hard, I know some people who got dogs from breeders and never regretted it.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 6:44pm PST 
It just makes me angry. I wonder what her boss would think if she asked her what kind of makeup she wears, so she can research if it's tested on animals? Then verbally attack her for using it. Same concept? Invasion of privacy and freedom of choice? Although, I don't agree with testing products on animals. It's just, if it was me, I might have gotten fired. I have 2 dogs from breeders, Kali & Koby, and had one rescue, Jax. Kali & Koby's temperaments and traits are exactly what the breeders advertised. Jax was a crap shoot, although, she was a great dog. In the future, I would still get a pup from a breeder and I would also rescue. I want the choice.
[notify]
Stella

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 9:29pm PST 
Have to agree with you on that.

My first dog was a rescue but she was afraid of vacuums, thunder and the like plus she was afraid of men. Sweet dog and I miss her.

Bentley is the first dog I've had that came from a breeder and he's been a much loved family pet for 7 years. At one point I did look on petfinder when trying to find a dog and so did my sister but we couldn't find what we were looking for.

There is one rescue group I support and the person who runs is one of the best people to talk to shelter/rescue dogs since she's been on both sides of the fence. Same goes for a couple of breeders I know.

But still, people have a right to choose.
[notify]

Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 2:28pm PST 
I have no problem with people choosing to ONLY rescue and no problem with people choosing to ONLY get puppies from (reputable) breeders. It's a personal choice and it us up to the individual, there are valid reasons why people do both/either one of those.

what I do have a problem with is people judging others for getting their dogs from one place or another, or looking down on people because their dog is a mix, or a purebred, or from a responsible breeder, or from the street, or whatever.

And speaking of nice GSDs in shelters, I came across this one in my area the other day:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24486200

Pretty and so young...
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 3:13pm PST 
Ya'll need to stop posting such gorgeous GSDs in need of homes! I can't take much more temptation silenced
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 5:05pm PST 
I know what you mean Onyx. I keep feeling the need to find another Jax.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 9:50pm PST 
In my 26 years, my family has only bought one purebred puppy, and it was a Jack Russell Terrier named Freckles. After Freckles passed away, we've only adopted dogs...from the shelter and off the street. Tanner is a purebred miniature poodle (his former owner gave us his registration papers) but he came basically from off the street. Angel & Jack were pretty much rescued from the streets, and Tia came to me via SPCA. I don't know if I'd ever buy from a breeder...it's just not really my style. I prefer going the adoption route (maybe because I was adopted myself?) and honestly I used to look down on people that did get puppies from breeders. I thought "there are so many dogs in shelters, running the streets that need a good home and you paid $300+ for a dog..." It was hard to stop myself from immediately thinking that. But I don't think like that anymore, because like someone mentioned we have the right to choose which route we want to go.
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 11:03pm PST 
The beautiful GSDs in need of homes get me too! I'm still trying to convince the husband we need another one. Maybe when we foster the next dog...
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 12:42pm PST 
If this article was posted on the forums it would have gotten washed. I realize the main page doesn't follow the same rules as the forum, but, really, that should tell you something.

Articles like that shouldn't be welcome in a community like ours. It's a shame it was allowed.
[notify]
Stella

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 11:16pm PST 
You have a point.

I've read about one woman who was insulted by her so called friend because her dog was a mix and not a purebred.

For me, I like purebred and mixed breed dogs.

Many hobby breeders keep in touch with the people who buy puppies from them.

On the animal planet series Too Cute! many of the puppies on the show come from breeders.

At the end of the show they do a follow up and show the puppies a few months later. Many of them were either show dogs or family pets.
[notify]
  (Page 10 of 11: Viewing entries 91 to 100)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11