GO!

Gender Preference??

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 6: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 7:48pm PST 
My first dog (GSD) was a female, and when she passed she broke my heart six ways to Sunday.

When I got my next Shepherd, Mulder, I wanted the opposite of what she was, because I knew nothing would ever compete with her.

Now its a practical choice. Males are just easier IMO, no heats, no b*tch hormones, no headache shh

Sally isn't a GSD, so she doesn't count laugh out loud
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 8:02pm PST 
In Aussies I have to say that I like the girls more. The boys are too goofy for me (not that my girls don't have their moments). After having 6 or 7 male fosters and owning Porter...I personally prefer my dogs to be girls lol laugh out loud
[notify]
Rowan

Rowan T.- Brittany

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 8:54pm PST 
I've always had males so there's a tiny bias there, but on the other hand because I've never owned a female, I'd like to experience that, too big grin
[notify]

Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 4:19am PST 
I don't have a preference. I find their behaviors, generally are due to personality and temperament, rather than gender, unless they are unaltered.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 5:16am PST 
Neutered males.

Don't ask me why my own is intact =/. I guess there are some mixed feelings in there concerning the ethics of the matter, some health concerns, etc, but I strongly prefer altered males in terms of overall temperament, behavior, etc.

Of course 99% of my "dog" experiences are with shepherds or dogs in that same working category, so that sort of temperament and drive may have a lot to do with things.

Edited by author Fri Nov 16, '12 5:17am PST

[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 5:18am PST 
Males, specifically in Golden Retrievers. Until my latest dog, a mix, I would have said only intact males, but he is neutered. I am "owned" by one ACD bitch, never again. laugh out loud
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 6:28am PST 
In Goldens the rule of thumb is that the boys are "I love you, I love you, I love you," while the girls go "Love me, Love me, Love me."
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 6:29am PST 
I like the boys. They just seem more lovey dovey and more likely to make you the center of their world. Although, I decided my second dog will be a female but that's more due to size than anything else.
[notify]
Peter Parker

Peace, Love &- Dachshunds

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 7:07am PST 
I prefer boys.smile Nothing wrong with girls of coursebig grin
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 7:45am PST 
I've had both but I prefer males. I like to have at least 2 dogs at a time and everytime I had 2 females together, I was always breaking up fights. I have NEVER had a problem with 2 or more males together.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 6: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6