GO!

Future Breed Match

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 3:47pm PST 
I won't be getting a dog of my own for a few years, but I thought it would be fun to see what others would suggest.

I've always had a great interest in German Shepherds, Malinois, and Leonbergers. Labradors are my favorite breed, but I already own one, and would like to try something new. I'm pretty sure I will own another Lab in the future though.

I've thought about rescuing, and if I find the right one I might, but I would really like to get a pup from a breeder.

I would like-

A breed that does well with other dogs. I want a dog that will be friendly with other dogs, but I don't want a dog that needs to be every dogs best friend and play, as long as he/she is friendly and not aggressive. I Know socialization will play a role in this as well, but some breeds have more DA tendencies.

I'd like a breed that is loyal, protective and committed to his family, good with kids, aloof with strangers and would rather be with/focus on me than go steal pets from someone he doesn't know. I have a lot of family that visits, and I plan on taking the dog everywhere I go.

I'd like a dog that can be off leash all the time unless required to be leashed or for safety reasons. I would like to do a lot of off leash activities, like hiking, playing ball in the park, going to the beach, etc. I know training will play a big part in this as well.

I plan on doing a lot with the dog, so exercise won't be much of an issue, but I'd like a dog that won't lose it's mind if it misses out one day.

I would like a larger dog. I don't really care how big just nothing smaller than 50-60 pounds.

As for grooming, I don't mind brushing daily and bathing when needed, but I don't want a dog I'll have to take to the groomer every two weeks haha. Shedding and drooling isn't much of a concern either.

I would also prefer a dog that will take well to the water and enjoy retrieving a ball from a pool/ocean, etc.

As for dog sports, I've been interested in Schutzhund, Agility, Flyball, Herding, and Dock Diving.

Trainability wise. I want a more intelligent breed that wants to please, and will generally learn things easily, but I don't mind a bit of a challenege/stubborness.

There may be some stuff I left out and I'll gladly answer any questions.

Thanks.

Edited by author Thu Nov 8, '12 4:10pm PST

[notify]
Maggie

Wishing For Snow

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 6:02pm PST 
Australian Shepherd ?
Belgian Groenendael ?
[notify]
Chewy

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 6:38pm PST 
Thanks for the response.

I had never really considered an Aussie, but now they seem like they could be a good fit.

I really like the Belgian Groenendae, I hadn't looked into them much in the past but after having done some research they're on my list. A lot of what I've read about them seems to fit well with what I would like.
[notify]

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 9:03pm PST 
I say, why reinvent the wheel?

If you are interested in GSDs, why not look into GSDs? I would stay away from Mals, and don't really know enough about Leos to give you a fair opinion.

You mentioned going to a Sch club with Chewy a while back, and being pretty happy with them? That's a good resource if you're interested in that type of Shepherd, and gives you plenty of people to observe with their dogs and gauge if something along those lines is really what you're after.

And even then, if a high impact working dog isn't your thing, there are no limit to nice, more moderate GSDs to close that gap.

That's the great thing about GSDs- if you are willing to put the work into them, there really is a Shepherd for everyone!
[notify]
Chewy

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 9:32pm PST 
Thanks for the response Mudler.

Yes I'm very happy with the club. Since I'm not going to do protection work with Chewy he told me he wasn't going to charge me to come whenever I want and do Obedience, and in the future let us try tracking.

The German Shepherd is at the very top of my list I've always wanted one as a little kid, seeing them in movies and the ones I met have always been awesome. I remember I found one on a walk. He gave me a wide birth at first and was kinda checking me out for awhile. Once he decided I was okay he came and stole some pets and followed me home. He stayed by my side all day long and played ball for hours until his owner showed up after seeing the signs I put up. I was sad to see him go.

I was just curious to see other suggestions, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up with a GSD. smile

If you could recommend some breeders I can check out that would be awesome. I won't be getting a dog of my own for a few years or so, but looking into breeders now wouldn't hurt right? laugh out loud

Edited by author Thu Nov 8, '12 9:35pm PST

[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 5:46am PST 
Haha, there's something inherently captivating about them, isn't there? That's why I'll never understand people who consider them "too common" or "too bland".... clearly, those people haven't a clue what they are missing out on way to go

I don't know where you're located, but if you are looking for a nice, moderate, sane-minded working prospect, I would start my search with a kennel like Wildhaus (link). Very, very, very responsible breeder who knows her lines extremely well and would surely be able to place you with an appropriate pup.

If the working lines are a bit more than you care for, Alta-tollhaus (link) is very nice German SL kennel who is also very responsible, works with very nice dogs who are certainly drivey enough for what you want despite being from the show lines, and who you can actually build a relationship with and have a very good breeder support with (which is important!).
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 6:49am PST 
A good GSD sounds like the perfect fit. I agree with Mulder, why reinvent the wheel? Just be uber careful when choosing a breeder.
[notify]
Chewy

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 9:56am PST 
Thanks Mudler, I'm in california btw. I'll be sure to check out those links.

I was also looking into this breeder. http://www.schraderhausk9.com/index.html

I came across their page awhile back and bookmarked it.

What do you think?

I may like to find a breeder a little closer, though I wouldn't mind traveling.
[notify]
Niki

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 11:26am PST 
I know a couple Leos. They are great dog - but HUGE. From show lines they resemble a Tibetan Mastiff. Sweet, not overly active dogs that have a personality like a Bernese Mountain Dog, but slightly less boisterous. These dogs are good on and off a leash, they aren't super obedient, but will listen when called and have good house manners. It's good you said drooling isn't a big issue ... but I don't think they are as bad as Newfs in this department. I wouldn't consider the dogs I know (again from Show-lines) to be super athletic. They love to hike and swim, but aren't going to be stand-out agility or frisbee athletes. Jolly, happy, and sweet-natured dogs that are a good balance of independent and loyal.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 12:32pm PST 
Schraderhaus is where Ridley (my other boy) is from. I cannot say enough nice things about Jean, and think it would certainly be worth your time to contact her for information.

She is a larger operation that either of the two I posted, but is extremely knowledgeable about her dogs and will tell you the truth and help you in selecting a dog to fit you. She mostly deals in old German working and Czech lines, which might be a little bit more than you want, though I have no doubt she could place you with a nice moderate dog to fit your needs if you should decide to go with her.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2