GO!

Should we be leery of this? What questions should we ask?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 5:37pm PST 
At two years old if they are any sort of well bred and trained, a young adult Lab should run significantly MORE than a pup, not less. A dog who's health is found to be compromised or a senior who is retiring and can no longer work or who's ability to work is greatly diminished should be the only exceptions.

Google "Started and Finished Labradors"

At two years old they should be at the very least started, best case scenario would be that they are "finished" at that age and will be spayed/neutered before leaving the facility. No reputable breeder will simply hand over a dog to someone unaltered to let the new owner then go on to potentially breed all willy nilly. Good breeders take responsibility for their stock. Unless the dog is being sold with breeding rights and under contract they really should be altered.

If the dogs were well cared for, the kennel space kept clean, they were bred of sound mind and temperament and they continue to have an appropriate outlet for their energy and drive transitioning into a home shouldn't be a problem at all.

If they are any sort of breeder they should have all appropriate paperwork verifying the pedigree of the dog you are interested in. From there you can contact the original breeder and get more information from them if you are interested.

If you are suspicious as to why they're getting rid of the dogs, either ask the breeder directly to further clarify or go with your gut and pass.

If you share the site I'd be happy to offer my input as I'm sure plenty others here would too. If you'd prefer to pawmail to keep the site off of the public forum feel free smile
[notify]
Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 5:51pm PST 
Leslie, I am answering you here because I know BOTH of these kennels well and they do both have excellent reputations. In fact, MANY of the dogs in both kennels ARE related to Quincy!!!
All appropriate testing appears to be done and they are not hiding that information.
I also like the pictures of Sera. I would have liked to see her pedigree, but I understand them not putting it on the webpage.
These dogs are not "kenneled" 24/7 and I am sure you shouldn't have much issue with reminding Sera about housebreaking. I must say, I do respect the breeder telling you she was not 100%, MOST dogs have some mistakes when going into a new home and she was being honest with you.
Good luck with either the puppy OR the older girl. I am jealous!!!
[notify]

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 5:54pm PST 
I am reluctant to post the breeder's website on here. Though I haven't met them in person or visited the kennel. Is it generally okay to post breeder info on Dogster?

I cannot pawmail though because I don't have any pets on here. We don't have a dog at the moment. Not sure how to get around that rule.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 5:58pm PST 
Oh! So thrilled to hear that. We are trying to get out there this weekend to meet her. Glad to get an endorsement.

Thank you for all of your help and information. We hope to have a dog registered on here soon smile
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 6:00pm PST 
It's completely fine to list breeders websites as long as you're not advertising to sell the dogs yourselves lol

Lots of people do to pick members brains about potential breeders way to go
[notify]
Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 6:09pm PST 
Trigger, I will pmail it to you right now.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 7:24pm PST 
I think it's only OFA that requires dogs to be 2 years old? PennHIP and some others can be done earlier.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2