GO!

The Toy Rottweiler

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 3:09pm PST 
I don't even know how to respond to you, Guest. I'm not bashing people for loving their dogs, by any means. Bashing a USELESS idea, certainly, but to say that people don't love their dogs regardless of where they come from would be ignorant. And I'm talking useless as in: no GOOD reason for being bred other than catering to a particular market of people, has no purpose, similar to when people think "Oh, my dog is the best, I want her to have puppies!", designer mixes(I refuse to call them breeds at this point), etc.

They look nothing like Rottweilers. In fact, I've owned SEVERAL, and I don't see any resemblance other than color(which you can find in other breeds too!). If you don't have the space or time, maybe you shouldn't own a dog. I'm sorry, space isn't such a huge problem. But if you don't have the TIME for a big dog, WHAT in the world makes you believe you have the time for a smaller one? They STILL need training and exercise!

I'm a hater? Yes. I am a hater of IRRESPONSIBLE, NON-REPUTABLE breeders. Such as backyard breeders(which is what pretty well all the people who 'sign up to be a breeder!' of these dogs are!), and puppy millers(GUARANTEED, you have to pay big bucks to BECOME one of their breeders, not to mention the money they ring in from selling them to boot!).

Yes, all dogs are different, but there are GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS that each breed comes with. My mixed puppy is very drivey and would excel in any sports I put her in, whereas my Beagle is VERY Beagle in that he's stubborn, with his nose constantly to the ground. And yes, there should be more of a goal in mind than just "Oh, you can't deal with a Rottweiler, but you want one? here you go!" THESE little dogs share NONE of the personality traits of the Rottweiler.

I am NOT saying they're not well cared for. How the heck would I know, if I haven't been to any of their homes? But I do know that you can become a breeder too, but just filling out their application form! And I do know that they are pumping out puppies so they always have some available for someone who might want one!

AND... what in the world gives you the idea that I'm NOT helping other dogs? WHERE do you get the audacity from, to assume that I am not doing my part in the world of rescue, and education?

I have rescued PLENTY of dogs, and continue to do so. ALL my pets(snake, hamster, rabbits, dogs) have been RESCUED. I have fostered. I have rehabilitated dangerous, fearful and aggressive dogs and taught them to love people again, taught them to trust people again, found them wonderful homes where they are no longer abused or neglected. So no, I'm not just sitting here. But I don't need to justify myself to you. Clearly, you're not very educated on dogs to begin with, or what responsible/reputable breeding IS, or the difference between reputable breeders, puppy millers and backyard breeders.

Someone reading this might think "Hey, maybe ALL THESE PEOPLE in this thread(or on Dogster in general) know a bit of what they're talking about." Or.. "Maybe I should research breeds, or breeders more properly."

I implore you to educate yourself and do a little more research on reputable breeding, and what the difference is, because I assure you, you will find many.

I apologize if I come off rude, or hostile, but I am VERY passionate about reputable/responsible breeding and rescuing. If I wasn't, I wouldn't have bothered giving a heads up, or bashing these people.

I do agree with Nare though. You tell me to go and help with rescuing(which I've been doing plenty of) instead of sitting here bashing people, yet you're one of the very people SUPPORTING backyard breeding.

I have no doubt in my mind that you do, however, love your dog.

Edited by author Wed Nov 14, '12 3:13pm PST

[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 3:30pm PST 
I was looking at this website and my wife looked over my shoulder and said "Oh, those are cute little chihuahuas."

If you want a Rottweiler, get a Rottweiler. If you want a small dog, get a small dog. You don't need to have both and you can't have both because I'm sorry, those dogs are not Rottweilers.
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 9:00pm PST 
applauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplause

Very well said, Charlie.
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 4:10am PST 
Charlie sums the whole she-bang up perfectly, like usual.

Yup, I'm hating the rottibear thing like poison right now, it's purposeful crapping in the doggy gene pool, and quite frankly, I find it gross.

I HOPE someone thinking about one of these frankendogs as their next pet finds this post and reconsiders, that would make my day.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 4:12am PST 
Why don't they just sell / buy the robotic dogs you see at Xmas time? They don't require any work or expense except for changing the batteries. thinking
[notify]
Rossco

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 10:33am PST 
Do you all love the min pin? The English Bull Terrier, how about the beautiful German Shepherd?
Those are just a few I have come across, I can name many more.These are all man made breeds. Crossed with other dogs to make there now recognized breeds.
Why is it so bad that someone would want to create a small look alike of the Rottweiler? It is the same as the small look a like of the Doberman Pinscher? (There is absolutely nothing in common between the min pin and the DP, besides there looks)
You say you understand space but if I don't have time for a Rottweiler I have no right owning a dog! I will tell you what I have owned and breed German Rottweilers and small breed dogs. I can run around the yard and house and tire out my small breeds but when I take out my large breeds they need room to run, not a tiny back yard or living room! There is no way my Rottie's would tire out in the yard. So time to take them out to the proper exercise area requires more time and effort. The large Rottie eats a heck of a lot more food then the smaller lookalike as well. So now we are looking at less money as well.. Or should we not own a dog if we can't afford to feed a 40lbs bag of food every three weeks?
Not all the dogs look like Rotties I will give you all that.But if you wait and watch there starting to have better litters. (It takes time to create the perfect little look a like) The ones that don't look like a Rotie are still sweet and as good as any other small breed. These dogs are not just a beagle bread with a dachshund and here you go.... They are taking certain traits from other breeds and breeding them into the lines to make the replica.
These dogs are not Chihuahua's. Chihuahua's should not weigh more than 6 lbs, and are very dainty. These guys can get to be 20lbs.(Most range from 10-20) and they are strong dogs with strong jaws.
I guess I will just have to come back to this forum once they are CKC and or AKC registered.....If they have that tittle I guess they are okay to breed then?!?hail
And to those out there who say "I hope someone who was considering one of these dogs reads this and changes there minds" doesn't help with keeping dogs out of shelters, because no matter what you say these dogs need and deserve a home just like all the other dogs out there... But each to their own I guess. relieved
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 10:55am PST 
ALL dogs are "man made breeds", not sure where you're going with that. Those dogs were created a little bit more carefully than most of today's random, willy-nilly new "breeds". To compare the breeding that created the German Shepherd to the breeding of "Mini Rottweilers", "Goldendoodles", "Schi-Chons" and the like...it doesn't even compare at all.

It takes a lot more than just time to "create the perfect little look a like" -- it takes like, an actual plan, extremely careful breeding, an end goal.... breeding just to sell everyone a tiny Rottweiler is not really the way to create a new breed. It will take a LOT of time for these dogs to breed true. Do they have an organization that oversees all of this, like a breed club?

And to those out there who say "I hope someone who was considering one of these dogs reads this and changes there minds" doesn't help with keeping dogs out of shelters, because no matter what you say these dogs need and deserve a home just like all the other dogs out there... But each to their own I guess.

This makes no sense -- if they aren't breeding them in the first place then there's nothing to "need homes". So in other words, because someone doesn't flat-out support a backyard breeding practice then they are evil shelter dog killers? Or like saying people should buy from pet stores because those puppies need homes too. Very strange leap of logic there...

The "Cockapoo" is still not a proper breed after all this time, so I seriously doubt the Miniature Rottweiler is going to breed true anytime soon, based on some of the "breeders" of this cross I am seeing and what they are writing about it on their sites.... if I can be proven otherwise and shown some inkling of really trying to undertake a new breed, doing proper genetic testing, etc., I'll eat my words....

I am not trying to be combative, but the whole, "Well ALL breeds were mixes once so this is totally legit and normal!" argument is getting tiresome.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 11:37am PST 
Oh dear...

I honestly question wether the target market for this mix should own a dog at all if they're seeking a small dog for all of those reasons listed above. I've yet to meet a small dog that needs any less training, time and companionship from their human than a large breed dog. What I do meet are lots of small dogs that people often don't bother to train because they can't hurt furniture or people and who cares if they pull on a walk if they only weigh 20lbs or less. shrug

Food does cost less for a smaller dog, that's true; but in a mix like this I'd be doubtful that the vet costs will be less over the life of the dog...
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 11:45am PST 
Wow are you in the wrong place, Mini Rottie! I presume a breeder, but here you are so let's do this!

And to make it clear before I do, I admire, respect and in some case am in awe of great breeders. All my dogs come from breeders.

You say the "English" Bull Terrier, Min Pin, German Shepherd are man made breeds? Oh so true. Also true they were made for a function, which is one of the reasons those breeds came to be as quality animals, as the dogs could be worked and tested and bred on. What on earth is the "function" of a Mini Rott? It has no function, whereas other toy companion breeds DO. Mini Rotts function is to make their breeder a buck.

"Why is it so bad that someone would want to create a small look alike of the Rottweiler?" Um, because the Rottweiler is a huge boned and large breed dog? How does that one suit ya! laugh out loud Want a black&tan with a gorgeous headpiece....HERE'S ONE That's called an English Toy Spaniel. A relatively ancient breed who has been bred for companionship qualities. A Rottweiler hasn't. He's been bred to work. So the only thing you WANT from his genetics are his looks. So the dog you want to create you need to alter 90%. What on earth is the sense of THAT lunacy!

" I have owned and breed German Rottweilers and small breed dogs." Anyone who says "German Rottweilers" is a rank amateur. That is not the correct name for the breed, there is no French or Tazmanian Rottweiler. And how many breeds have you bred? Have you ever titled a dog? Belonged to a breed club? I don't know what more of a BYB-ish statement there could be!

"because no matter what you say these dogs need and deserve a home just like all the other dogs out there" HELLO? You are CREATING those lives of NEED! To pander to the few morons who want something that looks like a Rott but is very small and lacks standard breed working characteristics. And using HORRID genetics to get there as no Dachshund or Beagle breeder worth a plugged nickle would sell their stock into such an absurd breeding program for their life.

Shame, shame, shame, shame SHAME on you!!!!! The Dachshund and Beagle have very countering body types and the odds for breeding an unsound animal are very high. You can only use weak lines and create a market for very ignorant and silly people.

If one wants a "Mini Rott"...please get an English Toy, one of the most highly trainable, unspoilable, stable and charming breeds on this earth!

THANK YOU for showing up. There is no better example as to why BYBs are to be avoided at all costs.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 11:48am PST 
Oh ok, so anything black and tan is a rottweiler.

Sanka's a little smaller than a rottweiller...not quite "standard" for toy. Wonder what category of rottweiler he'd fall into.thinking
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4