GO!

Dogs 101 and Designer Breeds?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 8:36am PST 
Dogs 101 is promoting Designer dogs today!

Yay. silenced

They've gone over the Labradoodle(no surprise there), the Puggle, the Chiweenie, Goldendoodle(again, no surprise there), Chorkie, and the Cavashon?

"If you want a Puggle.. You should go for a PURE puggle(WHAT?!), pure Beagle and pure Pug!"

I think the ONLY good thing they stated on here was the health problems that can STILL(yes still) pop up in mix breeds.

And a BorderJack? WHO in the world was crazy enough to start THIS mix-breed? I LOVE Border Collies... but mixing a workaholic breed with a terrier? Oh god... It scares me just thinking about it?

And a Goldendoodle - "If you want that great personality of the Golden, without the grooming requirements!" Oh... and now they have MINI Goldendoodles. Ugh...

This is not a hit at anyone that owns these breeds... My issue is promoting the SALES(yes, sales), of mix breeds that typically are bred for money, by backyard breeders and puppy millers...

I'm just... wow.

And after every breed, "-Mix name- unfortunately DOES have genetic health problems." Because you wouldn't get that from TWO BREEDS and irresponsible breeders. Totally, not.

It reminds me of the Designer Breeds articles on Dogster here...
[notify]
Dexter *CGC- silver*

If it moves - Herd it!

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 9:24am PST 
It annoys me no end!!!

I got the shock of my life last week when I went back home to London... I went shopping with my mum and as you do, we went into Harrods... I always go straight to the pet floor because it's fun. They have a fully functioning doggy bakery that will bake treats on demand and to order for your pooch and they even have changing rooms for dogs shock

Anyway, since I don't have toy breeds, I ignore all the silly, stupidly expensive clothes and go straight to the bakery to get Rocky and Dexter their favourite treats... I'm mad! It cost me £60 for ten treats but they don't get them very often so it really is a treat for them puppy

Okay, back to the main point... My mum noticed people gathering around something and came back to get me. She looked utterly disgusted and so was I when I noticed what all the people were looking at.

CHUGS AND PUGGLES!!!

I mean, firstly, it's illegal in The UK to sell puppies and kittens in a store! I don't understand how Harrods got round that...
Secondly, they were £2000 a puppy!!!
The final straw was the assistant telling everyone they had five generations of pedigree!

I had to bite my tongue, but as a doggy ambassador I couldn't help but question her. Funnily enough, she was clueless! I think I made her angry though, but I couldn't help but smirk as she was talking... She had no clue!

*takes deep breath*

I really, really hate people advertising cross breeds as designer dogs... It really grates on my nerves... And I wonder what it's going to be like in ten years time :o( Scary thought.

Edited by author Wed Oct 17, '12 9:26am PST

[notify]
Buster

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 10:10am PST 
Sadly it's not illegal to sell puppies and kittens in pet stores here but most likely Harrods are from bybs and puppy mills because no reputable breeder is going to sell them a puppy. It's against the kennel club's code of ethics as well if I remember right no registered puppies can be sold to pet stores..

Border jacks are bred as agility dogs partly I assume for the ability of a collie in a smaller size and partly because the collie fanatics can't bear the thought of a competition they can't have collies in. They're being crossed with all kinds of toy dogs for the same reason. I can see so many things going wrong with that cross.

I watched a couple of those episodes and they were pretty much guaranteeing temperment and looks in the adults which isn't possible in crosses especially F1 naughty. I have no issues with crossbreeds btw just the breeders.

Edited by author Wed Oct 17, '12 10:11am PST

[notify]

Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 10:20am PST 
I really don't like Dogs 101 anyway. A lot of the information they post is inaccurate even for the purebreds (the real ones). There's some breeds with serious health issues that they say are "generally healthy!"

Edited by author Wed Oct 17, '12 10:22am PST

[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 10:25am PST 
The Britain's Got Talent winner, Pudsey, ( Dexter & Buster will know what i'm on about ) was also a purpose bred mixed breed. Collie, Chinese Crested and Bichon Frise if i remember rightly and he'd also been used at stud a couple of times. Would be interesting to know whether he was was fully health tested before hand! Like the Collie/JRT crosses, he was bred with agility in mind, but if you can accept that as a legitimate reason to breed then i guess you can at least accept the Labradoodle and it's original reasons for creation.
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 10:26am PST 
The cavalier one said they were pretty healthy naughty I think it only mentioned heart murmers and they're one of the worst breeds for health problems.

They tend to gloss over temperment issues as well the komondor one was pretty scary in that respect all the emphasis was on the coat is high maintenance not these are flock guardians and will be protective.

Pudsey's mum was bichon/collie and the dad was chinese crested I think. Lovely little dog but I really hope they checked his joints before he was used at stud.

Edited by author Wed Oct 17, '12 10:28am PST

[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 11:18am PST 
Tyler, does anyone know why that particular mix was "purpose-bred?" In other words, what was the purpose?

And is outcrossing the Cavalier done for health purposes, to reduce the incidence of syringomyelia?

I haven't anything against purposeful crossbreeding or outcrossing. For examples the outcrossing of the the Pointer to the Dal, which eliminated disease. I also don't mind outcrossing in breeds with a very limited genetic pool, especially one prone to diseases, such as Flatties and cancer.

But willie-nillie mixes! No way!
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 11:29am PST 
From an article on agilitynet written by his owner:

I started competing in agility when I was five years old with my mum's Papillon, Shamee. When I was seven, my nan said she would buy me a puppy of my own. My mum found an advert in the local paper for Bichon Frise X Border Collie puppies. She thought that this could be a good combination and a suitable puppy for me. We went to see the seven puppies and came away with a little cream bitch which I called Buffy.

Buffy won me out of Starters in her first season competing and is now a Grade 5. In 2005, when Buffy was 3 ½ years old, we decided to breed with her and used Donna Johnson's lovely Chinese Crested Powder Puff, Acer. Buffy is only 12 inches and Acer is even smaller, so we were expecting them all to be Small.
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 11:42am PST 
I wouldn't really call that "purpose bred". I think it's just convenient.

BC/JRT mixes are very common in flyball, as are Border Collie/Staffordshire Bull Terriers (or SBT/JRTs). However these dogs are purpose bred for the sport and have WAY too much drive to happily function in a pet home. Encouraging the breeding of these mixes is irresponsible, especially with people looking for a simple companion.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 12:17pm PST 
Well, purpose bred in the sense they wanted to breed for the sporting qualities that first dog possessed. They developed their own small line. I don't consider their reasoning for breeding worthwhile to be honest. Might have benefited them at the time, but with countless breeds out there already that can and do do agility well, why breed your own? Especially from a dog they found in a newspaper advert....

Edited by author Wed Oct 17, '12 12:19pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11