GO!

Should "Hybrid Breeds" be Promoted

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 6:30am PST 
I am not a poodle fan. But I do recognize the breed for what they are. And frankly I can't see what purpose is served by crossing them with anything. They are intelligent, trainable, versatile and come in a variety of sizes and colors. I have seen Poodles compete and excel in almost every dog sport. Frankly I don't see what you could add.
We have enough dogs looking for homes without adding random crosses. Any breeder who produces these types of fads is not doing anything but grabbing money. Puggles, Snorkies, etc. all are mutts and to promote them as anything else is wrong.
[notify]
Mocha Chino

I need to go- outside! I need- to go in!

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 9:14am PST 
My Mocha is a mixed breed, goldendoodle mix and even though I love him with all my heart, I do not agree with Dogster for promoting "hybrid dogs" I find hybrid dogs are the same as any shelter dog, except there is a $1,000 difference and another dog might be killed because you are buying a dog instead of adopting. Dogster should switch their Hybrid Breed articles with Don't Shop, Adopt, articles and promote dogs that are adoptable around Dogster.
[notify]
Moses

Here I- come..ready or- not!

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 3:23pm PST 
Well, I am the owner of a 9 year old Goldendoodle. I had never heard of them when I saw them on a website. I live in Michigan and had to travel to Toronto Canada to pick him up. He was the first one my vet had ever had in his practice. About three years later they were EVERYWHERE! My dog was health tested and so were both parents.

Since then, I had two more standard poodles, one which is a therapy dog. When I do my hospital visits, I can't tell you how many people have doodles of some sort at home. They have a lot of health problems because breeders just throw whatever together. I tell everyone to avoid getting a designer dog because good breeders are out to better their breed, not mix it with a completely diffferent one.

I love my dog, but I NEVER promote designer dogs. I just had NO IDEA that it would turn into this when
[notify]

Monnie

Spreading Smiles- As A Tribute For- Lexi

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 7:49pm PST 
If you already have a so called Designer Dog I understand but personally I think it should be stopped. I understand it must be a money maker as I know several people whom are true breeders of just one breed and it keeps them broke. They do it to keep the breed pure.

So many people want to "create" a certain bred and promote it as cute, special, doesn't shed blah blah blah...I have seen some ridiculous new breeds and one for example is the cross between a pug and jack russell. Now why would anyone cross a energetic dog with one that already has breathing difficultiesnaughty

If you want a mixed breed dog go to your local shelter and give an abandon one the loving forever home it deserves because that's what a designer/hybrid is A Mixed Breed.

Well, I'll get off my soap box now but please remember ADOPT..DON'T SHOP for mixed breeds
[notify]
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 9:33pm PST 
I think it depends.

For instance Thor is what I guess you would consider a "designer dog". His breeder breeds for a local SD school but has puppies available to the public at times. His parents are health tested and all that.

I have no issue with breeding a cross for a certain job if the mix has qualities that the breeds dont have on their own.

I however don't like all the breeding that is going on for cute and "rare" mixes. I know people that have paid over a thousand for a untested mutt :/ It sucks.
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 11:51am PST 
Want the cache of a designer dog without the price tag? Go rescue a mutt that looks like a mix of breed A and breed B and just tell everyone it IS a designer mix AB and no one will know the difference laugh out loud

(When I was trying to figure out the breeds of my mutt, I ran across the "designer breed" "Belusky", mix of Belgian Malinois and Siberian Husky. That's what she looks like, so I'll just run with that laugh out loud )

OK, not really. I usually end up telling people she's a Husky mix because so few people are familiar with Belgian Mals.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 12:22pm PST 
One of the problems that I have with "designer dogs" is that sure, the dogs might have all of breed appropriate health testing in place (and Lilith as stated, this is a barebones minimum, and I would add, nothing for a breeder to brag about as that just due diligence), but how many of these dogs (the foundation stock) are actually stellar, breeding-worthy examples of their breed? How many of these dogs have working titles and conformation titles to their names? None that I have found so far.

The other problem that I have with breeding "designer dogs" is the lack of impartial, independent evaluation of the resulting (non-purebred) breeding stock. I suppose if these crosses actually had a written breed standard, breed association, and required a pass in some sort of mandatory breed evaluation before breeding was permitted, then maybe I wouldn't find the entire idea so pointless.

I have no problem with careful, well-though out breedings between two stellar, health-tested examples of different purebreds, but there has to be a purpose behind it other than cute puppies and big bucks.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 2:32pm PST 
I'm not sure if anyone has said this already.. but I just have to mention...
Honestly I think the term "Designer Dogs' is really worse than calling them breeds. It implies on the surface that these dogs are more fashionable than other dogs. A 'designer dog' is nothing more than a mix breed dog. Often with no purpose or proper guidelines. I'm all for the responsible crossing of breeds for a Purpose. But don't give it a cutesy name and call it like it is. They're Mixes.. they aren't designer, or hybrids... they're mix breed dogs. NO different than millions of mix's across the country in shelters everywhere.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3