GO!

Shiloh Shepherds

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
BRT

Please, be nice - ... or else!

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 8:31am PST 
I'll preface this by saying that I do like Shiloh's. However:

If you "hadn't heard of many behavioral issues with Shiloh's besides shyness", it's best you do a lot further research. I would echo what everyone else has said...

Mulder mentioned that "they are a much softer breed than the GSD". Generally speaking, this is true. But both breeds span extremes in temperament and drive. Some are laid-back. Some are high-energy. Some are lacking in nerves. Some are aggressive (often caused by "lack of nerve").

As has been said, if you're looking for a working dog (and although there are some fine working Shiloh's), you're probably best to look at a different breed. As a family pet, you're on a better path with a Shiloh ...

The bottom line here is that which has been repeatedly stated:
If you have your heart set on a Shiloh, to be sure you select a breeder very (!!!) carefully, cannot be understated - but that can, and should, be said of any breed or cross-breed.

Best of luck!
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 12:25pm PST 
I read that Shilohs are a breeding project "meant to resemble an older variety of GSD" and then it listed their sizes for males at 28"-30" and 119-160 lbs shock

Why are they bred to be so huge and what is the difference between these and so-called "King Shepherds"? Were "older" varieties of GSDs that large?
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 12:53pm PST 
There was a trend in the 50's-60's for GSDs to be very large. That was a strong era for the breed, def its "icon era" as a family pet, so many who grew up with that in their backdrop have a lot of nostalgia and association. I admit when I see a huge, low pigment easygoing GSD, yes....I get nostalgic. I remember being like six....dog crazed and dogless....in Manhattan and our neighbors, whose kids we always played with, had a mammoth GSD. Absolutely a magnificent dog, great guardian for the kids and so gentle. When we went to the park they'd give me his lead, and he was so gentlemanly with me, despite being pony sized up against me. Spectacular dog and many back in the day knew them, and have that nostalgia. And why not.....everything went to pot shortly thereafter wink

Shiloh STARTED as an innovative project and was highly, HIGHLY respected, if controversial. Back at that stage, they weren't "Shilohs"....they were GSDs. No one was doing more of a job to track every single puppy they produced to have an expansive genetic knowledge. They would grade their dogs, and their harder dogs WERE that....just awesome working prospects....well regarded in PPD circles. They'd often hold onto their stronger working prospects, start and sometimes finish them. They were very into testing and genetic transparency. They held annual get togethers to lure in all owners of their dogs so that everyone could see everyone and get a handle on what they were producing. While the breed was starting its downslide, this was a breeder....and prior to Shiloh....known and respected in the breed community.

Admired her then, but ego made something go really wrong. That tight genetic control flipped, and some very unreliable blood came in. You have dogs like those of Royalair, another well known huge sized GSD breeder.....not likely to be on a narc team anytime soon wink, they are huge in size and very "pet" in their orientation, but they are very stable, social, easygoing, trainable. And then the Shilohs, who can be very unpredictable.
[notify]

y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 1:26pm PST 
I don't think that Shilohs are simply another 'type' of GSD - there have been outcrosses to other breeds, some of her dogs from her kennel were used to sire wolf cross litters, and in 2002 she did import a male Czechoslovakian Vlcak, Ferda z Ponickeho Dvora, from the Czech Republic, possibly to be bred from. Old forum posts by Tina can be found still on foreign CsV boards.

Edited by author Wed Oct 10, '12 1:28pm PST

[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 2:22pm PST 
There is no "other type." It's (GSD) a unique breed, as all are. Whites technically were, but as they never were well tolerated, from the inception of the breed on, def have always mapped a little differently. They have some very good qualities, and as not allowed to show in conformation for years, their breeders focused on the OB venues for titling, making them, done right, generations bred, very high in the trainability department.

I am not sure WHAT Shilohs are supposed to be now silenced, used to be somethin', and now they are somethin' else wink King Shepherds are a marketing term. I am no designer breed freak, but really....Shiloh, Shepalute? A little bit much for me personally to see one worthy of praise and the other considered a joke, n'est-ce pas? wink

I would say if you want a big, easygoing, trainable, socially reliable GSD, go to Royalair. They have been around forever, and while it is a niche thing and you'd have a hard time finding a show or working person to talk nice about them, their reputation is clear and they have people who literally have been getting dogs from them since the 70's.

Alternatively, big, one of the top "old style" breeders by results in the land and also work focused....and does a great job with black&silvers, which used to be one of the top working GSDs and fell out of favor to pigment only...is Valiantdale. Same thing, around forever.

I frankly wouldn't mess with Shiloh unless that is what you want. And then, with extreme caution. Do research, understand the political splits in the breed and find a good mentor.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 3:03pm PST 
Thor where are you in WA?

There is a breeder in Yakima who produces Whites (and coloreds) that would probably be able to place you with a good prospect.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 6:04pm PST 
I'd agree with Tiller there... I almost got a Royalair dog myself and I had my eye on them for quite a while. I am not sure about for a working dog, however if you are looking at Shilohs as your alternative, Royalair's dogs are basically like the GSD version of a Shiloh as far as looks and they have the temperament that the Shilohs are claimed to have, but with good records of health/temperament (from what I have heard/read).
[notify]
Niki

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 6:31pm PST 
Seven litters in a year? Quite frankly I am surprised Dogsters are recommending Royalair!
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 7:23pm PST 
Number of litters a kennel has doesn't really speak directly to its quality- so long as there is knowledge and purpose behind the breedings, and the operation is maintained properly, then number of puppies just isn't that big of a concern.

People like to say that breeders who occasionally produce a litter every couple of years are the only "responsible" ones... where as I say you aren't really getting much accomplished in the ways of fleshing out your bloodline that way, especially considering only a fraction of any given litter will, in turn, also be breeding quality.

To each their own.
[notify]
Niki

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 7:39pm PST 
Sure Mulder ... I will save it for another post. I don't want to take away from the discussion about Shilohs.

I read through the entire site, number of litters wasn't the only thing .... but 7 litters for one family .... over 13 in two years .... no way to justify thats acceptable in this day and age when I take a look at how many "pet-bred" GSDs are in the local breed rescue. Can't fathom why any GSD-lover would find that acceptable. Oversized, overbred, and overpriced.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4