GO!

Shiloh Shepherds

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 4:04pm PST 
I am wondering what everybody knows about Shiloh Shepherds. I have been researching the breed and am wondering if anybody has some firsthand experience.

Thanks!
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 4:53pm PST 
If you're interested in Shilohs, my best advise to you is to pick your breeder VERY carefully.

As a breed they suffer from temperament issues mostly related to lack of nerve and stability. They also share hip and elbow issues with their GSD cousins, though very poor breeding practices across the board have perhaps made it even more prevalent in some lines.

They are a much softer breed than the GSD. For you, for service work, that might not be a bad thing. "Soft" does not have to mean "fearful" or weak nerved, however, that IS a problem the breed faces and should be taken into extreme consideration when selecting a breeder.

There are good ones out there, though. Be very, very, VERY choosy if you decide to go with this breed, and you can end up with a fine dog. I believe there is a Dogster here who breeds them for service work, maybe they will come to comment.

On a side note, have you considered a White German Shepherd? There are several good breeders who I can think of that produce nice whites who would be great for service work... still plenty drivey and capable of work, but softer and perhaps a bit more agreeable with what you want.
[notify]
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 5:49pm PST 
I have thought of white shepherds. I know of a few breeders in Washington state. My biggest issue is budget. I am saving up but most purchase prices are pretty high. I REALLY wish money wasn't an issue.

I hadn't heard of many behavioral issues with Shiloh's besides shyness. I would honestly prefer a white shepherd. I don't know. I am just trying to find a good breeder with suitable dogs who is willing to work with me. That is apparently hard to find *sigh*
[notify]

Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 6:45pm PST 
Squ'mey is my second white. My first was a rescued adult. Both of them are a bit more timid than the *regulars I've had and would not be suitable for SD work. Now, saying that, Squam's breeding is not stellar, and I have no idea what Luther's was like. Squam is coming along, but still has a tendency to be DA with some dogs. But, like Muldur said, if you find a good breeder, you may find them to be a good fit.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 5:49pm PST 
I have heard of a lot of shyness issues and some aggression/fear aggression issues in the Shiloh breed so I would be very very careful in choosing a breeder and in checking into the temperaments of the parents/lines.

Edited by author Mon Oct 8, '12 5:50pm PST

[notify]
Arlo

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 2:59pm PST 
Shiloh Sheperds are a very laid back breed. My aunt has two shilohs. They need alot of socialization as a puppy otherwise they can become dog aggressive as they mature. My aunts oldest wasnt socialized with other dogs and when he reached maturity around two he began snapping at any dog he sees and goes to attack it. From what I have seen they are very willing to please so that will be a great benefit for your work. They are also very people orientated. They just always want to be near you. Sozialization is the key with these dogs. Hope that helps!
[notify]
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Tue Oct 9, '12 3:51pm PST 
Whatever dog I get will have LOTS of socialization with people and dogs since I live at a dog training facility LOL

I have met a few shilohs and they all have been friendly and even tempered.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 7:35am PST 
I looked into them a while back because I was frustrated with the things I was seeing in GSDs and thought maybe a different breed was the answer. I found that they were overall soft and lacking in nerve. They do not do well as working dogs, but many make good family dogs. Because of the things I love about GSDs they proved to be a poor choice for me, but seem much loved by the families that have chosen them.
I do agree that you need to be very careful choosing a breeder.
[notify]
Niki

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 7:58am PST 
I've met wonderful Shilohs before ... I like the breed, when well-bred (which is very, very hard to find. A good Shiloh breeder will put you on a long waitlist). smile

A breed that is similar, but much more established is the Rough Collie. Of course, you have to be extremely careful with which breeder you choose, a badly bred rough collie can easily be neurotic, timid and have a ton of health problems. They are a sensitive breed, but I think you like the qualities in a Shiloh you will appreciate collies.
[notify]
Jace

Swiffer

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 8:10am PST 
I have worked with Shilohs before on a photo shoot, and found them quite agreeable and tractable! I guess like any breed, and like you know, socialization is so important. I think I might be able to dig up the breeders name?
Good luck on your search! cheer
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4