GO!

Feeling guilty about wanting a puppy from a good breeder?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Capri

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 11:35am PST 
I would love to hear how the process goes for you and if you get a poodle please share pics. smile Have a great day!
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 12:31pm PST 
Its nothing to feel guilty about at all. We got Kashmir from a wonderful breeder. Even though she still has a few health problems that come along with the Boxer I wouldnt trade her for the world and every year they get a xmas card smile I do really want my next dog to be a rescue of some kind, but you should never feel quilty about your decision. way to go
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 12:46pm PST 
If I have time for a puppy in the distant future, I will be spending around that amount as well. I call it my midlife crisis purchase- Some people splurge on an expensive car, I'm going to splurge on a dog laugh out loud Although I intend on obtaining any purebreds I want through a rescue, I would like to do the "breeder thing" at least once whether it's getting a puppy or retired adult or what have you. Some people may not understand it, but I do not see anything wrong with supporting reputable breeders.
[notify]

Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '12 12:43pm PST 
Capri- applause You said it perfectly. I've been pretty blessed, my girl is rescued and so far has been wonderful, with no real issues.

That being said there's nothing like knowing where the dog came from, and where they will be/have been. As many other people said, it's your money. You're being responsible with it. Just ignore them. It's why family is so maddening sometimes- they MEAN well, but have no idea how rude they're really being.
[notify]
Zack

formerly The- Very Hungry- Puppy-pillar

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '12 7:28pm PST 
Some people spend a lot of money to go to Disney World on vacation, when they could stay at home or choose a different destination and save a lot of money. big grin

Some people spend a lot of money to buy a new television, computer, tablet, or other electronic device, when they could make do with what they have and save a lot of money. big grin

Some people hire professionals to mow their lawn or do their landscaping, when they could save a lot of money doing it themselves or hiring a high school student. big grin

Some people buy books, when they could save a lot of money by borrowing them from the library. big grin

Some people spend a lot of money to eat out, when they could save some by staying home and cooking for themselves. big grin

And on and on . . . bottom line, it's not always about what is the cheapest. It's about your personal preferences and making the best choice you can for your family and your situation. If it's within your budget, it's what you want, and you know it's the best choice for you, then do it. way to go

The only time I have a problem with people spending large amounts of money on things like this, is when they complain about how they can't afford their groceries, they can't afford to buy clothes for their kids, they can't afford gas to drive to work (and they borrow money from other family members to purchase these needed items) and then they walk around bragging about how they just spent $1000+ on a new pool, or a vacation, or an electronic item, or a puppy they got at the mall. confused

But I assume you're not like that, this sounds like something you have been planning and saving for; in that case, get the dog that's right for you, and don't worry about what they say.
[notify]
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 9:55am PST 
I struggled with this for a short while but if there is anything I've learned, reputable breeders are often a huge part of the solution, not the problem.

Many great breeders have a heavy hand on the rescue of their heart breeds. In fact, if the breeder didn't care about the rescue of their own breeds (in whatever way they choose) I would be hard pressed to buy from them. I think care shows an immeasurable amount for a breeder. I also think enabling the good guys to continue to fight the good fight and better the breed (especially if they can trust you're a brilliant home) is a helpful thing, not a harmful thing.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2