GO!

How soon would you get another dog?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 2:44pm PST 
As some of you may know, I will be bringing home a new puppy within a year. Well, far, far into the future I'm planning on either fostering or becoming a puppy raiser for a service dog organization. Even though this is years away for me, it got me thinking. How long would you wait after getting a dog to bring another into your home, whether it's a foster or there to stay?
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 7:58pm PST 
I brought home my second dog 3 months after my first. They were both adults though.
[notify]
Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 8:11pm PST 
Puppies take so much work, and require so much of your attention to become all that they can be. I personally believe it is best to wait until your other dog is a trained adult before getting a new puppy.
[notify]

Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 8:41pm PST 
There will always be atleast 2-3 years between each puppy/dog for me. This ensures enough time to 'fulfill' and know them all inside and out.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 9:43pm PST 
I like to have my first dog trained to the point of being manageable before bringing in another dog, so probably no less than a year.
[notify]
Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '12 12:02am PST 
My oldest is 6 years, and I was happy with only one. Then I unexpectedly ended up with a 6 month old rescue puppy. I would say that the age difference between them (being long lived Chihuahuas) is perfect! She is the perfect mentor to him, and is young enough to still be able to really play with him.

I couldn't imagine not having another older or at least established dog to help guide the young one. If I was in a situation where I didn't have a dog would look to adopt an older dog instead of a puppy. On the other hand, I am kind of on my own when it comes to my dogs' training. If my boyfriend or other family was really involved then I wouldn't need another dog as much, though I still find them to be a great asset!
[notify]
Chase

Oh boy!- Ohboyohboyohboy!

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '12 4:04am PST 
Ideally I would wait 2-3 years. Chase is just creepin' up on 3 and she's just starting to settle down. However if I were to get a dog like my parent's lab... I'd wait the 7 years for her to settle down before adding a new pup. I don't know if I would want to deal with two rambunctious dogs all the time.
[notify]
Dylan &- Grace& Bryce

trouble X 3

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '12 5:42am PST 
I try and have about 2 years between them. theres 2 between Dylan & grace.
Bryce was not a planned puppy, he was a take it now to get him out of a bad place.
he is 4 years younger then grace, 6 younger then Dylan, and thats just a bit much.
Dylan is 10. and doesnt always see the humor in a 4 year old
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '12 6:10am PST 
I agree wholeheartedly that I should wait until my puppy is a fully trained adult before considering bringing home a foster. There are a lot of things that have to happen in my life before fostering, so believe me, it's still a while off.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '12 7:25am PST 
It's breed dependent with puppies.

Shepherds? Two years minimum. It gives me time to get through the "I'm going to be wild and horrible" months. Most other breeds 18 months or so.

With adults... Depends. I brought Mo in almost 7 months after Zephyr and that was pretty good timing for her. She's already very tightly bonded to me and we've worked through her dog-aggression to the point where I feel comfortable putting her in just about any dog's company without consequences.

Mo will need some serious maturing before I can bring in another dog. He just turned two but he needs at least another year of intensive training before I think he'd retain enough that I was comfortable.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2