GO!

Designer Crosses

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 8 of 13: Viewing entries 71 to 80)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  
Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 10:39am PST 
I actually own a Saint Bernard/ Poodle mix. I love my dog to death and don't regret buying a designer dog. I am allergic to several types of dogs and so is my son. I did look at Standard poodles but my husband hates them and I like my dogs meaty. Our rottie had passed away and I wanted a large dog that could be inside that we weren't allergic to. Rotties are my favorite but do to allergies I couldn't get another one. My husband wanted a saint bernard but we would have been allergic so when we saw Saint Berdoodles we went for it. You have to remember that every Pure breed we have now comes from years of crossing dogs. They had to start somewhere. The argument against Designer breeders are that they aren't responsible breeders can be said about a lot of the pure bred dog breeders out there. Either way you have to look at the breeders and determine that yourselves. I found a breeder that I felt comfortable with and got Sarge from her. Do I recommend this kind of dog for everybody, No. I have so many people stop us and ask what kind of dog he is and then say the want one but I do tell them how much work it is for grooming him. I've seen a lot of horrible pure bred dog breeders and a lot of horrible designer dog cross breeders. It's just a matter of weeding out the bad ones on both sides.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 11:05am PST 
Yeah but if you wanted a St. Bernard and you got a mixed one, you didn't get what you wanted then.. you got a mix that's half of something your husband claims to 'hate'. thinking And it's not just a St. Bernard with a funny coat, the temperament and behavior will also change accordingly. If you want to have a mixed dog cause you want to have a mixed dog, then OK, but if you want to have a mixed dog to stand in place of something else you really wanted, that just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 11:13am PST 
Do you have a contract on Sarge?

Does his breeder guarantee him against any crippling genetic defects?

Did they do any sort of genetic health and temperament testing on their dogs besides annual vet checkups and saying "oh they really love my kids!!!"

Its fine to love your dog, no one is saying you shouldn't.
But don't promote bad breeding practices, that doesn't benefit anyone, least of all the dogs themselves.

ETA: many of the breeds we have today WERE created by crossing other dogs... over many generations, selecting specific traits and working towards an ultimate goal. Breeding generation after generation of two different purebreds to ONLY create F1 crosses is NOT how breeds are made.

People need to stop saying that, as it is false.

Edited by author Mon Jul 2, '12 11:17am PST

[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 11:23am PST 
Mulder...applauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplause
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 12:31pm PST 
Sarah, I actually got a response back from HQ (even when I said I didn't need one). They told me that they would add my comments to their June Feedback Report shared with the Editorial Team.

We'll see if anything actually comes of it...
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 1:25pm PST 
Sarge -- what if your dog ended up being a shedder...what would you have done? That's part of the thing with Poodle/X crosses...you are taking a gamble, there's NO guarantee whatsoever that you end up with a non-shedding dog just because someone threw a poodle in the mix, you know?

And you are totally right that there are a TON of irresponsibly bred purebreds out there. I don't really have a big issue with purpose-bred mixes as long as they are meeting the huge list of ethical breeding practices I personally would hold them to, but unfortunately there just aren't too many of them out there...and I guess I would also say that two wrongs don't make a right... i.e. just because there are irresponsibly bred purebreds doesn't give irresponsibly bred mixes a free pass, if you get what I'm saying there.

And lastly yes, purebreds came from crosses...but that took generations, and they were purpose-bred over long periods of time, not "Hmm, know what would be cute? A Shi-Pug-Doodle! That's so fun to say, let's make some." Trying to compare the breeding that creates a Goldendoodle to the breeding that created, let's say the German Shepherd, is not really one and the same....

I think if one REALLY wants a "designer" mix and they find someone who guarantees against defects, does health testing, limited litters, and everything else that goes along with breeding responsibly, then go for it...but unfortunately most people breeding these dogs aren't doing those things at all, and a very large number of their clients have no clue what any of those things are either and so aren't asking about them, and don't care. That's what I want to see slowly change, in both purpose-bred mixes and purebreds. The extra guessing game with designer mixes is that you are going to have a genetic crapshoot so I don't think anyone breeding Poodle crosses has any right to make promises about the offspring all being magically hypoallergenic and shed-free...makes for dogs that get dumped at the shelter once the buyer learns they got a shedding one...sad.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 3:32pm PST 
Most good Doodle breeders don't guarantee a dog that doesn't moult either. They are honest about what you *might* end up with, when it comes to temperament, health and coat. Those that say different are clueless.

Edited by author Mon Jul 2, '12 3:33pm PST

[notify]
Shoe-Toe

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 5:37pm PST 
thinkingthinking I am sarge but I do not see any Saint Bernard in you, I see poodle
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 6:51pm PST 
Beefy dog that doesn't shed much...what about an Old English Sheepdog?

Now, if someone were to have a goal of creating a non-shedding breed that wasn't as "frilly" looking as poodles and the like, I can understand. But the difference between that concept and these designer dogs is that the person is wanting to actually create a new breed with a purpose...family dog, non-shedding, specific looks.

Whereas designer dogs are just mix anything with a poodle, call it non-shedding and sell those pups. No attempts at making a breed nor any purpose to their cross. Just in it for the money.
[notify]
Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 8:16pm PST 
I knew from the get go that "Saint Berdoodles" are shedders. I didn't have any illusions that they were a non shedding breed. I've worked in a groom shop before so i've been around several breeds. His coat is like a poodle. He sheds into his coat and I spend hours each week combing him out but his body structure is definitely bigger then a poodle. I got him because he was perfect for my family. We aren't allergic to him. Yes my husband hates poodles but he isn't close to a poodles size or look. He liked saint bernards because of their size and temperment.
i vetoed that because of allergies. Sarge's temperment is that of a saint bernard. He's also my service dog. I just think you shouldn't look down on breeders that do create designer crosses because their are a lot of good ones out there. Sure there are a lot of bad ones too. I can't tell you how many breeders I've visited looking at pure bred dogs and I leave disgusted at the conditions they live in. Don't get me wrong I love pure bred dogs, but I'm not a believer that its wrong to try and cross breed dogs to get a desired trait. I'm aware that you can get dogs that take after one parent and not the other. It is a gamble but I look at the parents and the pups as the matured and also got the breeders input, before I picked my pup. Do I claim my dog is "pure bred?" NO. When people ask I say he is a Saint Bernard/ Poodle mix. I rarely even say Saint Berdoodle. Instead a better discussion should be on what kind of laws can be put in place to improve breeding contracts, health testing, lemon laws, licensing, living conditions...and so on for all breeders whether their breeding pure breeds or cross breeds. Also laws on limiting litters per dog and limiting the amount of dogs a person can breed at any given time.
[notify]
  (Page 8 of 13: Viewing entries 71 to 80)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13