GO!

Designer Crosses

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 12 of 13: Viewing entries 111 to 120)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  
Tokyo

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 12:47am PST 
At the end of the day I rescued him from being put to sleep and he is exactly what I wanted so I dont see what Ive done is a bad thing in anyway
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 4:58am PST 
"needed a small dog that I can take with me when the rent inspectors come (lol)"

Your apartment don't allow dogs or am I reading this wrong?

I'm not a fan of designer dogs most are done by people wanting to make quick buck and adding cute names makes it cuter..

Sure eventually dogs will become a breed, but still just adding a podoodle to any breed is sad..

My neighbor has a mastador mastiff lab mix I just say it's a mastiff lab mix not that name makes me think of a matador.. laugh out loud

This dog is so darn uncontrollable and runs like a rocket she has practically barreled into Bella knocking her down!

Owners don't help by not socializing this dog or walking it ever. The dog acts so shy and will jump back like it's afraid if I try to pet her. I've met her enough she should warmed up..

She also barks annoyingly like their dachshund which barks all the time outside..

I go walk the dogs in the trails which are far away from their house and she will bark bark bark!

I just don't see reason for a mastiff lab mix.. It looks like giant black lab!

Bigger then Bella my 53lb boxer.. eek
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 5:08am PST 
I can only hope that you got Tokyo from health tested parents? Both the Pug & Cavalier are riddled with health issues. Just because they're crossed doesn't mean they cancel each other out. I'd definitely have the little guy insured that's for sure!

If people are adamant on having a "designer" dog they really, really need to know where to look, even more so than someone wishing to buy a purebred. And some "designer" dogs you'll NEVER find a responsible breeder for. I'd much rather guide someone to the right places to search ( if applicable ) rather than criticize their choice, offend the other person and then they in turn picking a pup up from a BYB because they didn't know any better and no one is willing to help them out.

Edited by author Fri Jul 6, '12 5:11am PST

[notify]

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 7:03am PST 
At the end of the day I rescued him from being put to sleep

Soooooo... you RESCUED him, as in, from a legitimate shelter or rescue?

Or you bought him from a breeder who makes it a common practice to euth puppies?

You, uh, DO see what's wrong with the later of those, don't you?
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 7:29am PST 
Pugs shed way more than Cavaliers. Way way more.
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 10:04am PST 
I'd say if you want a cross, look for one with a shelter or rescue organization. If the BYB are just out to make a buck and don't test for health issues, etc., your shelter dog is no less a crap shoot and you're saving a dog and you know what it looks like all grown up and you'll pay a lot less for it.

But I'll never get any pet that's not a shelter or rescue, so that's just me. I don't care about papers, pedigree, shows, etc.

And maybe (like me) you get a dog you have no idea what breed(s) it is, but you know you just love it. That's what it's all about for me.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 10:24am PST 
Tokyo, if you actually rescued this dog from a shelter, then we're on a completely different page. This thread is for or against the promotion of designer breeds, that is to say should you support people purposefully breeding the pug and the cavalier or not.

And if rescuing has changed me whatsoever, it's made me incredibly angry and bitter at irresponsible people letting their dogs roam the street intact or purposefully breeding mixes. I have two dogs with anxious dispositions (one very severe) as a result of someone else's irresponsibility. They don't have to deal with it day after day, they're completely ignorant to the situation.
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 10:26am PST 
I agree with Sanka, Mulder and others. These "breeders" are NOT creating new breeds. I don't care if some of the Doodle breeders are crossing these dogs through generations, it still is NOT a reliable, established breed. What's wrong with a Cocker Spaniel? What's wrong with a Poodle? Adopt, or buy from a reputable breeder, simple as that.

I've never seen a Doodle that was more attractive than its purebred counterparts. Quite the opposite. What I love about this, is that one of my friends had a red Standard Poodle for thirteen years, and they very rarely shaved all the hair off of her face. What did she look like? A very, very attractive Doodle with a gorgeous coat. If you don't like the "look" of a Poodle, don't give them a cut you don't like! It's common sense.

Cavaliers do not shed that much when properly groomed, and I can't think of a dog with any more health issues awaiting him than a Cavalier/Pug cross. You know the dog was NOT bred responsibly. Both breeds are riddled with health issues as it is. Also, you got the dog at four weeks? You either got it from a horrendous breeder or a shelter that doesn't know what it's doing.

An FYI - Want a low-shedding, apartment dwelling dog? Shih Tzu. Your dog is going to shed, A LOT.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 11:00am PST 
Shih tzu are cute dogs my cousin has one she is pretty old, but still friendly with family and stuff.

http://rufflyspeaking.net/blog/i-consider-him-a-rescue/

I agree what's wrong with a poodle they have toy ones too so it's not issue of poodle comes only in one size so people want a mini one..

I get a lot how mixes and mutts are healthier dog then purebreds sometime it's true some it's not you breed two different breeds and both are riddled with health issues how that going to help..

Coarse not saying purebreds are any better they can have plenty health issues too especially if breeder is doing it for the money..
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 1:00pm PST 
Good article Saya thanks for posting it- always a nice reminder that buying a dog from a pet store or a bad breeder is not "helping" or "rescuing"... perhaps for that one individual yes, but the parents of that puppy and any other dog that finds itself in the hands of said irresponsible party with continue to suffer so long as money is coming in from those puppy sales.
[notify]
  (Page 12 of 13: Viewing entries 111 to 120)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13