GO!

Designer Crosses

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 11 of 13: Viewing entries 101 to 110)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Tue Jul 3, '12 1:24pm PST 
There's a good point Lady Bird! And I think Moose's mom would agree . . . she went through a very heart breaking situation with her previous Saint, adopted as a rescue, I believe, showing dangerous aggression . . . . .after that experience she worked very hard and carefully with Tiller's help to find a good St. breeder who is breeding for good temperament for her new pup.

Frankly, regardless of the tendency of "designer" breeds to be exercises in not best breeding practices---one has to admit the ugly truth, that some pure breds as they currently exist would be hard to call "responsibly" bred no matter how good in theory their breeders are . . .

Just in light of their basic distortion of physiology from what IS a healthy dog body. I don't want to name names because it's becomes a slippery slope of opinion and where to draw the line . . . but there are some breeds I just feel guilty as a human being about. red face As in, I want to apologize that my fellow humans did this to you . . ..
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Jul 3, '12 5:18pm PST 
Lilith, they don't have lines because they don't need them!

Mix X breed with X breed and you get these mixes. That's it. There is no goal to establish anything. And if it's an established breed...well then those cutesy names won't work anymore.

All in all, the point is they are getting these mixes from purebred dogs. You can't compare these mixings to the creation of purebred lines because it is nothing alike. Purebreeds did not just appear from mixing 2 different purebreeds over and over again. If mom is always a Saint and Dad is always a poodle, they will always need to be such in order to create this mix....at least that's how things are now with how people are doing it.

They are giving every one of their puppies away. How exactly are they going to create a breed if what they have created is gone?

Really, be realistic. These mixes aren't meant to be a breed on their own. That's not why people are breeding them. And if that's not why people are breeding them, can you really call their breeding practices good? They're making dogs with an unknown outlook. I would not want to pay for a puppy from a breeder and not know what the heck he's going to turn into. Best go to the shelter and get a mutt puppy for that.

Edited by author Tue Jul 3, '12 5:23pm PST

[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Jul 3, '12 6:10pm PST 
Agree with everything Sanks is saying.

Breeders looking to create a breed don't just continually breed the same two pure breds over and over... there are multi-generational crosses, back crosses, maybe even the inclusion of a 3rd, 4th, 5th (and so on) breed to iron out any wrinkles that using ONLY two breeds might create.

The Doberman wasn't created in 1 generation by crossing a German Pincher with a Beauceron. The Dogo wasn't created by mixing a Bulldog with a Dane and calling it a day.

Throwing two dogs together and creating F1 after F1, selling off all your stock, and not retaining ANYTHING to breed to outside of the two pure breds you started with... is NOT creating a new breed. I'm sorry, but it just isn't.
[notify]

y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Tue Jul 3, '12 6:24pm PST 
Sanka, that's where the information is incorrect, because I KNOW and have seen the sites of 'doodle breeders who are past using simply 2 purebred parents. They may have F2's and do some back crossing, cross in more purebreds, etc but many of them now aren't working with just a poodle and a random other breed. Many of the breeders do have 3, 4 or more 'doodles they breed other 'doodles from.

That's why it's important to talk about development of a breed and the base on which that must sit. Because while people can (i hope..) understand that breeding 2 different purebreds together, does not a breed make, people have a harder time understanding why 'doodles are still NOT a breed even if both parents are 'doodles of some sort.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Tue Jul 3, '12 10:31pm PST 
Quite late to this discussion, but just wanted to toss in my two-cents.

I think people need to take into consideration the current state of dogs in the world. If this was 100 years ago, I would be all for mixing breeds and being innovative, but today it has become a very inappropriate practice. I understand breeding current breeds-- breeds that were initially bred for a specific purpose-- to preserve history and to fulfill purpose, but with the current state of things, creating new dogs that only function as companions isn't necessary. There are so many dogs that can already be companions, and millions of them in shelters. Taking the time/effort/money to create new and unnecessary breeds instead of using that time/effort/money towards fixing our already horrendous overpopulation product is a massive insult to dogs in general.

Just my opinion. Lemme just grab my anti-bashing shield.

Edited by author Tue Jul 3, '12 10:32pm PST

[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 3:29pm PST 
I agree with you, Charlie!
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 10:24pm PST 
And this week's installment is the "Lhasapoo". Good grief Dogster... naughty
[notify]
Tokyo

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 11:08pm PST 
I have a designer breed.
The breed I have chosen is a Pug x king charles cavalier.
My reasons for this is because I live in a tiny apartment and needed a small dog that I can take with me when the rent inspectors come (lol)
One that was docile, placid and affection it (IMO pugs and cavaliers are the friendliest dogs out)
Cavaliers shed alot, and pugs have breathing issues.
When combined, my dog doesnt shed a heap and his snout isnt as "Furnished" meaning that his breathing issues have somewhat abated compared to a purebred pug.

In fact, the King Charles Cavalier has had pug bred into and out of the breed for centurys before now. This breed is not a new thing
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 11:43pm PST 
No offense, but practically any small dog could fill your requirements. Find a good breeder that guarantees good disposition in both parents and you're golden.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Fri Jul 6, '12 12:11am PST 
I wouldn't expect a 4 week-old dog to be a big shedder shh
[notify]
  (Page 11 of 13: Viewing entries 101 to 110)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13