GO!

SSA in GSDs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 7:21pm PST 
Well, keep in mind too Onyx, if you're seeing dogs that were mostly plucked from rescue, you probably aren't seeing dogs who were given the most ideal start to life.

And I think that's a pretty massive oversight a lot of people make with GSDs- if I'd just thrown Mulder in my backyard and never took him out for the first 2 years of his life, then suddenly took him to a dog park, yeah... there'd probably be some dead dogs. Likewise, you have to KNOW what you are doing with them, have a game plan, and make sure you are achieving what you want to achieve. Shepherd is a breed who certainly requires work, BUT is also a breed who can put out just as much as you have put in once worked with properly.

With all the dogs I've seen, including the dogs at club and the dog's of my PP trainer's other clients, only one GSD have I ever seen that I would truly consider dog aggressive. However, this particular dog (from a big-wig kennel who I'm sure you've heard of) had more than a few screws loose... he was also HA, and actually turned out to attack a bystander on the field during a blinds run in training. Not a "correct" dog by any stretch of the imagination. Others I've met who maybe preferred their personal space, or weren't overly friendly with other dogs... but none that I would consider DA/SSA.

In fact, and I'm sure I've said this many times before, 3 of Mulder's best dog buddies were all intact males, 2 of which were GSDs (from working lines), and one an intact Euro-bred Doberman.

Sorry, just don't buy it as a major problem in the breed with CORRECTLY bred and reared dogs, and never will. If the dog is DA/SSA to the point of not being able to be around other dogs without worry, then that dog doesn't need to be bred IMO (At least not outside of very specialized programs).
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Jun 29, '12 11:34pm PST 
I would agree that they need a lot of work but not sure I agree that well bred dogs have no aggression problems. Buds mom was superb breeding, she was just nuts. Out of 3 litters all her pups were great with the exception of one female. Her sister(Buds Aunt) was my dog and one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met of any breed,until she teamed up with Sabs. All of her siblings and half siblings were fine. But two of their pups(male) were decidely DA. This was a straight East German working line. Bud has Czech from his sires side.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 7:13am PST 
I do not consider severe DA correct for the breed. Regardless of how nice the breeding was in other respects, I would still have a problem considering it "well bred".

Again, barring specialized programs. If these dogs were SPECIFICALLY being bred for, lets say, a prison program or border patrol, it might be more forgivable. But any breeding that has even the slightest chance of reaching the general population? No, this is not correct.
[notify]

Sabi

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 9:27am PST 
None of the dogs were sold to the general public. A very few were sold to other breeders but 99% stayed with the company. Although I regret the lose of the line, I have never allowed Bud to be bred because I am not a breeder and do not have the knowledge to get by the known instability(infrequent as it is) in the line. With the exception of a few old females that stayed with their handlers the line was destroyed when the breeder passed.

Sabi is poorly bred, but was properly raised. I do not consider her DA. I have never seen her go after another dog. Her issues are with personal space.

I do agree that DA is not appropriate but as you said earlier I think drive comes into play. With an extremely high drive dog I think this is something you need to be wary of. In either sex.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '12 12:24am PST 
That's true, Mulder, most of the rescue dogs weren't well bred to begin with and probably didn't have proper socialization as puppies. I hadn't thought of GSDs as SSA or DA originally, but I've seen so many people saying SSA is an issue to watch out for in the breed, I started to wonder. It does sound like maybe they start to trend toward it if not bred carefully, which I don't think happens as frequently in some other breeds?

Sabi, I thought you had bred Bud to preserve the line?
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '12 1:38am PST 
One of the things you guys need to keep in mind with SSA is that it can change lotta lotta with stud duty, bitches in heat, etc., vs a pet in your home or at the dog park, or out in the field. A bunch o' GSD bitches together is a notorious bitch fest in the eyes of most breeders. That may be also why you get these different takes.
[notify]
Sabi

Barked: Sun Jul 1, '12 8:02am PST 
Tiller that's a really good point and not one I had thought of. Which is stupid considering I was just commenting the other day that both my girls got really bitchy when they were in heat. Shadows temperment and brains take a noticable dive every time and before I had her spayed Sabi would lose her mind if a male got to close when she was in heat. I used to laugh that I never had to worry about an Oops litter with her.

Onyx sadly no. For 2 reasons. I am not a breeder and recognize that I don't have the knowledge to. And the 'breeders' who would like to use him don't have anything I want to breed him to. There was an attempt shortly after I got him but she didn't take and the bitch that I was supposed to breed him to after my bosses passing he wanted nothing to do with. I had a plan with a local breeder who needed an outside stud as her lines were getting to close but she wanted me to leave him with her and she couldn't handle him. Quality dogs in this area are fairly hard to find.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2