GO!

How many dogs?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 9:56pm PST 
Don't know that this thread belongs here, but it seemed like the best place for it. So how many dogs do you currently own? What is your max? Why that number? I'll start! I currently own 6, with a puppy that comes home next month to add to the crew. I passed my max amount 2 dogs ago lol. 3 of mine were rescues that I didn't have the heart to say no too,or else it would just be my three plus the new puppy. I'm curious to know who else is crazy like me, or who has just one dog. Thanks for sharing!
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 10:20pm PST 
Two currently.

The max really depends on what the dogs are and their ages. I'm really not fond of the idea of raising more than one puppy at a time, just because it takes so much time and work to raise one correctly! Not planning to get another dog until Onyx is at least three. When I do add another, it'll probably be a small-medium breed that won't require an exceptional amount of work. Then maybe I'll be ready for another large, working breed, assuming I have more money and space by then.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 11:38pm PST 
I have one dog, planning on another next year after I graduate.. Nare will be 3 years old then and pretty rock solid (I hope).

Sounds crazy but I dream of having a 5 dog pack.. Nare, a Great Dane, two Karelians and a foster. But we'll see how everything fleshes out haha. Having one dog is lonely, though. I'm surprised I haven't given in to puppy fever yet, especially since I've been surrounded by them lately. I grew up with two dogs, so having one kind leaves an empty space. But during Nare's puppy years it sure felt like I had to keep my eyes on 2 dogs lol. C:

I don't think more than 5 would be a great course of action, since many of the breeds I lust for are on the larger end of the spectrum. We'll see if I have a change of heart after the puppy next year. laugh out loud
[notify]

Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 11:48pm PST 
Only 1. Chance is not well suited to having a roommate. Unless it is her best friend Jonny the Whippet. But I don't think his people will give him up and this would be the 1st place they looked if he went missing wink
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 5:21am PST 
I currently have 2 dogs. I think thats the max as long as i live at home. I really want to have at least 4 or 5 when i become established. I really want to have some dogs I can show. I want at least 3 Boxers and some cardigan welsh corgis and maybe another breed not sure what it is yet. But thats what i really want, the bf doesnt know that now but he will in the future big laugh I think he would be happy with none bol, but thats what you get when your dating a dog person.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 7:33am PST 
I have two at the moment and i'm hoping to add number three within the next year wink

I have had my doubts at times though. I keep worrying about upsetting the balance, that "three is a crowd" etc etc. But i'm sure i'll be fine once i'm actually in that position.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 7:34am PST 
Currently at 3 but two of those are fosters. I was planning on getting myself a second one for sports but I've been wondering if I'd have time for that with the fosters. I'd hate to have to choose between fostering and competing.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 7:37am PST 
2 currently and 2 is my max. The only exception would be if all the dogs I did have were super awesome, well behaved and all around easy to deal with. But my 2 currently are quite easy to deal with and I still feel like I'm at my max.laugh out loud

Buying things in pairs is also a bummer, so buying things in 3's or 4's or however many would drive me a bit batty too.
[notify]
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 8:11am PST 
Great responses! Yeah having a huge pack is hard sometimes,but my dogs are all really well behaved and they love each other. I also have my own house and a HUGE backyard for them too though. When I lived at home I only had my two rats. I also do rally,frisbee, and agility with mine so they get plenty of stimulation. I couldn't imagine having this many if I didn't work at a vet and get a hefty discount on care. And Kasmir my hunny was NOT a dog person before he met me, but now he's just as into them as me smile. You should see him with his Beagle, he talks baby talk to her, snuggles with her in bed, he's totally transformed lol
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 8:42am PST 
I only planned on one. Then a few months after I got mine, my daughter moved back in with her Husky, so we have two in the house, and I do most of the walking and feeding.

It's going to be hard when my daughter moves back out next year. My husband won't want another dog, but I know my dog will be lonely as she's gotten very attached to my daughter's dog.

I can't see having more than two though. If I liked small dogs, maybe, but I just prefer big AND fluffy dogs, so the shedding....
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5