GO!

Tell me what kind of dog this is

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Ra

Veteran Watchdog

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 10:36pm PST 
It looks like there are some giant German Spitz breeding out there shock

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/g/germanspitzgiant.htm
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 10:41pm PST 
oh, and also the Eurasier and Icelandic Sheepdog look very Pom-ish, but bigger (and come in black, though solid is rarer in the Icey). They are rare, but I did meet two genuine Eurasiers a few weeks back, so they're around. smile
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 10:55pm PST 
Bruno I haven't seen a Eurasier around here in years. But I thought of that to.
Sorry Pom people. I love them I really do. I just wish they were bigger.
[notify]

Tika

Little Fox

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '12 7:19pm PST 
An Icelandic Sheepdog puppy came into work today, and when I first saw her I actually thought she was just a big, badly bred Pom! laugh out loud She was awfully cute, though.

The dog you saw was probably a spitz or a spitz mix, but I can't think of any that haven't already been mentioned.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 6:31am PST 
I'm thinking spitz mix, too. Could even be mixed with black Pom. Although schipperkes (I can never spell that one) also come in a nice black coat. It takes quite a bit of careful planning and good breeding practices to keep breeds like Poms as small as they are...as someone pointed out. So that mix is entirely possible, and both types aren't uncommon in most areas.

Sounds like a pretty dog. If it's Pom/spitz it's probably fairly smart, too.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 7:17am PST 
It was a stunning dog. Thats why I was curious. We get a fair number of rare breeds here but I have never seen anything like it. Its probably just a cross with my luck and I will never see another one.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 11:11am PST 
Before I found corgis, I was into keeshonden, and I can tell you that while we do see solid white and even orange creams crop up, I've never ever heard of a black keeshond. I'm willing to say that I *could* be wrong on that, but I was in the breed for several years and used to show and such.

There are some really dark keeshonden out there, but usually they're very poorly bred. Typically the darker the keesie, the worse off the breeding.

In Holland (where the breed originated), keeshonden come in multiple colors, even piebald, but I think that in the US they would be classified as gross spitz or mittel spitz.

It *could* be a Eurasier- they're a newish breed in Europe and are a mix between chow chows, keeshonden, and samoyeds. There *are* black Eurasiers that crop up with some frequency and they are very spitzy.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Jun 26, '12 1:25pm PST 
I found a black spitz on the Internet. It looks like a big Pom. I couldn't get my phone to copy & paste. but it was on magazine.horse.dog.cat.com. I think that's the website. What do you think?
[notify]
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Tue Jul 10, '12 1:12pm PST 
Could it have been a woolly husky or something?

There are also Finnish and Swedish Lapphunds (don't just know if there are any in USA). The Swedish Lapphunds should always be black and the Finnish Lapphund can have almost any color, including black. But still, they're propably too small. The Finnish Lapphund should be less than 20 inches tall (about 17 - 19 inches by Finnish standard).

Lapphunds are spitzes that were originally bred to herd reindeer.

Edited by author Tue Jul 10, '12 1:15pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2