GO!

Breeder or Rescue?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Thas

That Thas

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '12 9:01am PST 
Hi all.

Back in March, I sadly had to have my little sweetheart, Thas, put to sleep. She was on the other end of an attack for once. After all the hard work we put forward, our sweet little girls' life was cut short anyway, through no fault of her own. I find comfort in the fact that she could be a normal dog for her last few months, and even made friends with dogs she'd "hated" in the past.

Both Hubby and me agreed we wanted another dog ASAP. We quickly decided on a Rottweiler, for many reasons. It became apparent that there's a problem. Hubby wants to get a dog through rescue, and I want a puppy from a breeder.

He keeps talking about how, if we rescue a dog, we'll be giving a dog the chance at a good life. I reason that all dogs ned a home, whether they're from breeders or rescues. Hubby says we're the perfect people to get a rescue dog, because we managed to do more than just deal with an extremely aggressive, partically blind rescue - we actually gave her a good life. I throw back that we could do so much more with a dog we have from puppyhood.

It's just going round in circles. I hate the idea of rescuing another dog, because we might end up with another Thas. We loved, and continue to love, her with all our heart, but she wasn't the dog I'd wanted, and the stress of her behaviour issues was terrible. Our lives were horrible for years. When I explain that, hubby just says that in the end, Thas WAS the dog we'd always wanted (he's always careful to add "and that's because of us").

The house feels so empty without a dog, and I'm yearning to hear four paws running across the wood flooring again, but until we can decide where the dog is going to come from, how's that sound gonna happen?!

I can't even think of a way to compromise.

I know it's a pretty out-there question, but come on. Rescue or Breeder?!
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '12 9:17am PST 
I can't really offer any advice on what decision to make, but do remember that puppies are very often in rescue themselves. Another couple on another forum i'm on have recently rehomed a Rottweiler pup at 10 weeks old. You're in the UK right? Check out Dogpages.org.uk and feel free to ponder your dilemma there too wink

I'm sorry to hear about Thas hug I know how much work you put into her in the recent months.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '12 12:01pm PST 
Sorry to hear Thas has passed, but glad to hear she had some good times first hug

Like Missy said, it doesn't have to be rescue or puppy, purebred puppies do show up in shelters/rescues. On the other hand, it's also worth considering that puppies, even from good breeders, are more unpredictable than adult dogs in terms of temperament. Maybe a good solution would be an adult rescue that's been living in a foster home, that way the dog's temperament will be fairly well known.

ETA: Just remembering that I think you said Thas had a foster home prior to adoption, and she still wasn't what you were expecting. I think her situation was a little unusual (the sudden, extreme changes in behavior) but maybe you could offer to foster a dog you think might be a good fit, and if it works out, adopt that dog.

Not that I'm at all against buying a puppy from reputable breeder, but a rescue puppy or a well known adult could be a possible compromise with your husband.

Edited by author Fri Jun 15, '12 12:14pm PST

[notify]

Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '12 12:42pm PST 
I had a lot to say, but you'd never know it from what got through. I'm not going to retype the whole thing. frown

A puppy from a carefully selected and screened responsible breeder WILL give you a higher probability of getting the dog you want. People who say otherwise are kidding themselves. Nothing beats knowing the genetics of your dog and meeting the mom and other relatives, as well as seeing where and how the puppy is raised before coming home to you.

And a dog should be a joy, not a hairshirt. Project dogs can be wonderfully rewarding, but there's nothing wrong with not wanting every dog to be a project.

On the other paw, not every rescue dog is a project dog. If you screen your rescue orgs carefully, and find the right one to work with, there are a lot of nice dogs in rescue who are ready to be pets, not projects. You'd need to be firm with your husband, and clear with the rescue org, but you can get a nice dog that way.

Edited by author Fri Jun 15, '12 12:47pm PST

[notify]
Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '12 10:52pm PST 
Getting a resue dog is wonderful. There are so many dogs out there that need homes. Saying that, I can't go through another rescue myself. My husband and I have tried to adopt a few of them and they didn't work out. One of them left us with matching scars. In the end it's your decisions to make on what you can handle. If you do go through a breeder save yourself the heartache and pay the extra money that reputable breeder charges. My first two rotties were wonderful dogs. The best. Problem started when my male was 3 months old we found out he had hip dysplasia. He still lived till he was ten,but it was hard for him to get around and then found a large tumor in his mouth that was most likely cancerous so we decided it was for the best to put him to sleep. It would have been too much for him to have a big part of his jaw removed. He was already suffering too much. My female was two when she became sick. Never found out what was wrong even with all the tests we ran. It got to the point where she was so bad off we had to let her go. Both of them came from a backyard breeder. After that I couldn't go through that again so I saved up and found a good breeder to get my next Rottie. Spending $1,500.00-$3,000 up front to get a puppy from a good breeder that has a health garuntee is actually cheaper then what you pay later in vet bills from a puppy with health problems later on. That's just my take on it. I hope you guys find the puppy/dog you want.
[notify]
Shiloh ITD

GIMME BACON!

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '12 1:16pm PST 
My foster Beagle came to me with all sorts of behavioral problems (counter surfing, jumping on people, barking when people pass, barking when people won't pet him, pulling on the leash) and in 2 months, by using Progressive Reinforcement Training, he became a well behaved dog! (And he was adopted last weekend!) He learned 46 tricks, and he earned the Novice Trick Dog title. All dogs are different, but I think most shelter dogs just need to be taught how to behave.

You can always foster for your local Rottie rescue. Then, you can get experience with the breed, and you can really spend time with the dog in a calm environment.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '12 5:39pm PST 
First, I want to say that I'm really sorry about Thas.

Second, I agree about getting an adult rescue as a compromise. It's true that not all rescue dogs are going to be project dogs; Jane was easy, aside from some timidness. If you get an adult from a good rescue, hopefully there will be few surprises. I understand your wish to get a dog from a breeder; that's the exact reason why I decided to find a breeder for my next dog. But, it sounds to me like an adult rescue would be a good compromise for you and your Hubby. Good luck with everything.
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '12 6:30pm PST 
Thas, I would encourage you to try fostering a puppy. You can limit your petfinder search to only show baby rotties, and you may even be able to find a rescue that will have one transported if you're agreeing to foster it. I can certainly understand your reluctance to risk being in a similar situation, but I think trying out the dog in your home, in your life, is the best predictor of success. Though I'm sure very early experiences have some effect on the dog, if she's been safe and fed since birth, they're probably very minimal, and you still have the majority of her formative months and years under your control. Gently guiding your puppy's development is a completely different ball of wax than working with a traumatized adult. Puppies don't start off horrible. When you see the start of resource guarding (which is probably just a tiny, uncertain growl) you can right away start playing games that show the puppy that you messing with her food is a good thing. You can socialize her properly, making sure to provide positive experiences with other dogs. You can make sure that everyone who touches the puppy is kind and gentle. If you find that the foster puppy isn't the dog for you, hopefully you'll have appeased hubby, and she will be highly adoptable due to young age and good training.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '12 8:25pm PST 
If you go through a rescue that uses foster homes, you're more likely to find out the actual temperament of the dog than if the dog is from a shelter and stuck in cages. Finding a dog from a breed specific rescue or rescue that uses foster homes will help find you what you're looking for. Also, yes, purebred and mixed rottie pups do end up in rescues. But the choice in the end, is yours.
[notify]
Thas

That Thas

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '12 12:11pm PST 
We're no closer to deciding between a rescue dog or a breeder puppy. I told hubby that "if we have to get a rescue, then it's going to be a puppy". I have the feeling I'll go back on that later, but I don't know why.

It should be a joint decision, but neither of us are really listening to eachother. shrug Gary says "I want a rescue" and I sigh. I say "I want a puppy" and he rolls his eyes.

I just want another dog! naughty

We briefly discussed fostering shortly after Thas died, but we both agreed that we want a dog that feels like ours. Maybe I'll put that back on the table and see what he has to say.

Thas was being fosterd when we got her, but the foster didn't seem to have much to say about her, and couldn't offer us as much personal advice as we'd have expected.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3