GO!

Dogs Don't Just Train themselves (RANT)

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 1:53pm PST 
Okay I need to get this off my mindmeditate
So I have been helping train a friends Yorkiepoo puppy and they have kids the oldest is 15 then 11 and 7 years old and they have never had a dog before.
Well I taught them how to use the clicker and taught him how to sit, down, stay, come and respond to his name and to play dead. Well the oldest one tells me she wants a dog that is already trained and knows how to do dog tricks, which I said puppies and dogs do not just automatically know what to do our job is to teach them thatway to go I said if you wanted a dog that was trained and maybe knew some tricks you should of gotten a dog at shelter. I guess what makes me mad is that everyone wants a quick fix wants their dog or puppy to be trained without putting in any work. My job as the trainer is to teach you what to do and how to do it, but it is up to you and the family to stick with it if you don't then I don't see how I failed you have to keep doing the training even when I am not there. Does anyone agree with me? I also get this alot with Mozart, they think that Mozart just taught himself all his tricks and commands and obeys because he wants to. Example we have a neighbor that got a puppy the same time that I got Mozart, their dog is English Bulldog and I told her what Mozart knew, and she said oh maybe we should of gotten a Bichonpoodle puppy like yours. She said our puppy knows nothing and is not smart, she seemed to asume that Mozart just knew what to do that he trained himself. Umm hellowave I have put in a lot of hard work training Mozart since he was 8 weeks old.

Edited by author Fri Jun 15, '12 7:48am PST

Approved by forums moderator
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 2:31pm PST 
Yuup totally do Mozart. It took me every one of the 5 years Ive had Kashmir to make her who she is today. I have taught her so much she can: sit, down, come, stay, play dead, bow, speak, tell me she wants something, put her collar on, bring me my keys, bring me her leash, look at me on command, give both feet and some others i cant think of right now. But people dont want to put in the work with their dogs when they get one and it really is sad. It makes the dog and owner suffer.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 2:52pm PST 
Of course they do... didn't you know that? Border collie puppies in particular are born knowing everything... Okay sarcasm aside this is one of the very reasons I dislike dealing with people. Most people Do get a dog an think that it will automatically know everything it needs to know. Especially if they get it based on seeing a really well mannered dog of the breed they just got... that's why I am funny about telling people my service dog's breed.
[notify]

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 3:06pm PST 
Happy applause
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 3:23pm PST 
Annoys me to no end. My sister bought a Basset Hound because her new husband has an old Basset Hound mix who is absolutely lovely. No research, got the dog at 6 weeks old from a craigslist ad I believe. When the puppy grew, she acted like, well, a puppy. And my sister is surprised that Presley is nothing like Ally, the older dog. This happens a lot with her, I'm sad to say.
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 5:11pm PST 
Ugh, I see this all the time on Craigslist; people either asking for an all-ready trained, well-behaved dog, or -this one makes me really mad- people re-homing a dog they recently got off of Craigslist because 'it's not trained like they said it was', 'it went potty in the house', or it has some other issue and they can't be bothered to take the time to train the poor dog-or puppies-like any puppy is going to come completely potty-trained. naughty

It also bothers me when I see people wanting to 'trade' their puppies.confused
[notify]
Huck

GO!!!

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 5:40pm PST 
I fostered a Border Collie that was given up by a guy who got her because she was after all a Border Collie so she should have come trained and she wasnt so she had to be a dumb Border Collie, she did not know anything, so apparently because she was Border Collie she was supposed to just know stuff. Some people are truly idiots.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 7:02pm PST 
Some people are just plain stupid.shrug
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '12 7:47am PST 
This is very true. When choosing the right dog, you must consider that training will be part of it, unless you chose and adult dog that has already been trained.

Thank you for your post. It is very appropriate in this forum.way to go
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '12 9:40am PST 
Yeap, and golden puppies come already calm, loving and just nicely lay by the fire with the family!

That is why my Maci is at every rescue event for the club...this is what a golden can be like smile

My friend is a trainer and she gets calls from people wanting to know why there are 8 classes, the dog only needs 1.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4