GO!

THoughts on article about puppy producers???

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 25)  
1  2  3  
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '12 6:31am PST 
I agree, legislation regarding the interstate transport of large numbers of puppies would help. Regulation regarding minimum health testing (which will likely be fought by some good breeders, too, and I can understand why that would be such a challenge) and basic care and husbandry is sorely lacking. Other animal producing industries must follow many regulations regarding animal health and care, why should millers by almost exempt? If these 'puppy producers' are really on the up and up, they should welcome some very basic industry regulation.

It would also be a huge help if the AKC would weigh in and stop registering dogs from large scale commercial operations. There are a number of ways that they could discourage the sale of milled dogs as "AKC registered puppies". That does have meaning to the type of people who make impulse buys from pet stores. 'Hey, it's an AKC dog, so it must be quality...right? It's got PAPERS!'

Then again, I think it's very obvious where they stand judging by their actions over the last few years. They're all about the dollar, too, the health of dogs be damned...
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Jun 12, '12 12:36pm PST 
Lucille, I agree about the AKC.

The CKC states that no member shall use the services of a broker, petstore or wholesaler to sell puppies. Members who do will have their membership priveleges revoked. Puppies sold by any of the above are not eligible for registration.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '12 8:53pm PST 
Just need to point out that people who own mills are not "good people". It doesn't matter if they go to church, give to charity, say all the right things in all the fashionalbe ways. If they are millers, they are slime under a rock. naughty
[notify]

Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '12 2:34am PST 
Talk is cheap. I can say all sorts of lies and half-truths about what I do if they aren't there first-hand to see how I'm breeding. Let's see some of these operations first hand. Or at least see photos, videos, SOMETHING to give some measure of evidence other than their own words.

And even if they do meet standards, even if they do have clean kennels with clean water and fresh food and some measure of health testing, hell, even if it's rigorous, state-of-the-art health testing for everything under the sun, there's something inherently evil about breeding and selling dogs as though they are inanimate products. Their "products" are created in such numbers that it is impossible to give them the attention and care, and deliberation in placement that a living creature deserves.

These are not dog breeders, they are product breeders. The entire philosophy is evil, it doesn't matter how much they butter it up and how nice they make it look. It's pure evil. I am sure some of them love the dogs they breed and the puppies they produce, but it doesn't change the fact that they have built up a business around a dog being a product, not a valued living creature.

It's like saying stealing is better than drunk driving. Okay, yeah, sure, but they're both despicable crimes. Just because you "aren't as bad as the Bubba's of the world" doesn't mean you aren't a bad person.

I'll have nothing to do with them and the author of the article should be ashamed for allowing him/herself to be duped by an obvious load of crap.

Edited by author Sun Jun 17, '12 2:50am PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '12 4:59am PST 
applauseapplauseapplauseapplause
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 25)  
1  2  3