GO!

Small Athletic breeds?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '12 7:16am PST 
Thanks Baily. I have been looking at Poms as well. way to go
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '12 7:55am PST 
You have a boxer but don't think you could handle a small breed terrier? I'm a terrier person and I don't think I could deal with a boxer! BOL! Boxer energy isn't all that different, less barking than a small terrier, but I've known some boxers who have just as much sass as a terrier and they can be just as intense...trust me, if you want to you I bet you could handle one. I love JRTs, Borders and Ratties for agility. Ships, poms, and poodles are great in the sport, too. Best of luck with your decision!
[notify]
Violet

hey good looking- ....what ya got- cookin

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '12 9:10am PST 
have you thought about a Boston terrier......they are so cute kinda look like a boxer.i have heard that they are clownish and dont bark as much as other terriers....might be a good fit.
[notify]

Sumo

Lady's Man

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '12 9:12am PST 
Papillon's, Poodles, Border Terriers, Min Pins, are all awesome for Agility. Paps can be a vocal breed...poodles too smart for their own good... Borders can have a stubborn streek...Min Pins can be a vocal breed as well.

Min pins and Paps have more "delicate" legs...poodles can go either way on leg gerth...Borders are tough as nails without the dominance, aggression, barking, coat care, or high energy of many others in the terrier group.

My personal favs are the Poodle (of course) and the Border Terrier for their athletic abilities as well as temperament.
[notify]
Hershey

Bark it Loud &- Proud!

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '12 9:15am PST 
Forgot to add a FYI... Toy Poodles are 10 inches at the withers (shoulders) or smaller. Miniature Poodles are between 10 and 15 inches at the withers and Standard Poodles are 15 inches and above at the wither way to go
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '12 10:11am PST 
Miniature poodles are great little dogs. I would go with a mini rather than a toy personally but that's because it's easier in my opinion to find a well bred mini than a toy which tend to be a bit fragile. Border terriers are active but not over the top in intensity, like a jack russel can be. Papilions have been mentioned and are awesome little dogs.

One I haven't seen mentioned that might fit the bill are Shelties, they are fun active little dogs but you do have to watch for a breeder who breeds for sound temperaments.
[notify]
Tuvok

Toovy Doovy Doo- Ready and- Willing!

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '12 5:53pm PST 
A Boston terrier might be what you want. They are easier than other terriers and quite athletic. I used to do agility with Gracie and she was fast and precise.

A friend of mine who is a Dobe person got a Boston for the husband. Bugs is now her agility dog. Her description of training Bugs to do agility was "effortless".

Every now and then a Boston terrier makes it to the agility nationals. They do well and are easy to train. These dogs are a well kept secret. They are as smart as a poodle (yes, Ive had a poodle), keep their training (they have amazing memories), and generalize much better than other breeds. These dogs like to jump.

My mother and I do rally and obedience with our Bostons. We tend to get high scores and often do better than the "obedience" breeds.
[notify]
Bruce

Wayne, Bruce- Wayne

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '12 11:33pm PST 
I'm going to throw up my vote with Mini Poodle wink
Bruce is still rather young (just 21 weeks) but he is energetic, smart, and biddable! At 21 weeks, he knows more commands than my APBT did at the same age. He can also keep up with her while out running around in the yard. He's tough as well, and has a really steady temperament. smile
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '12 11:41am PST 
Nicky did excellent in his beginners agility class! He loves to learn and is a quick learner as well. The obstacles didn't phase him at all.

Edited by author Sat Jun 9, '12 11:44am PST

[notify]
Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Sun Jun 10, '12 1:26pm PST 
What about A Yorkie or Jack Russell Terrier?
I have a Yorkie seven years old almost 8 and she has alot of energy she could easily walk 4 or 5 miles a day and still want to go go go is super smart even though she does not know tricks like Mozart, she definitely has a brain and she is super fast when she runs I could see her doing Agility if her joints were not bad. A Jack Russel Terrier could be good I have never owned one but know a lot of people who have, they would be fantastic at agility they are some of the smartest dogs I have known.

Also I would consider a Toy or Miniature Poodle Mozart my Puppy Bichon Frise/Toy Poodle mix is 9 months old and is super super smart he with his commands plus tricks he knows 21 different things and is learining a new trick cover your eyes so soon he will know 22 things and he always loves to learn new things. He is athletic not as much as my Yorkie but he still is when he plays fetch he jumps crazy high in the air for the ball and catches it like pro it has to be the Poodle side of him(he does have the long poodle legs) Even though I have never had a purebred Poodle and do know people who have them Toy poodles they are very sweet smart loyal dogs I definitely will get one in the future because of how Mozart is ( I do dog agility with Mozart at home and he loves it and is pretty good at it for a puppyway to go
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3