GO!

Are there any breeds you think you just couldn't handle?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 6 of 8: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
BRT

Please, be nice - ... or else!

Barked: Fri Mar 23, '12 1:47pm PST 
It's nice to see the Black Russian Terrier
make it onto so many lists here!

Spread the word!

party
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Mar 23, '12 4:48pm PST 
I wanted a BRT, I really did. After doing a lot of research and talking to some great breeders, and one great ownerwink I have decided to do the smart thing and learn a lot more. Maybe someday.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Fri Mar 23, '12 5:40pm PST 
Sabi, I was the same way. I'm glad I smartened up about them before I got in over my head. Once I learned Giant Schnauzer went into their formation, I knew they probably are not for me.
[notify]

Gia

Gi Gi Gia

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 3:21pm PST 
I just wanted to add to the list!

I couldn't do Pittbulls, and this is why! I have so heard and know of so many people who are all 'OMG how can you have that monster around your baby' 'I heard this one pittbull killed a whole family' blah blah blah! I couldn't take it, I'd snap and make my dog sit on their lap licking them for hours before they submit big laugh I can't stand people who make generalizations and I have family that's included in this behavior. Not for any specific dog reason but specifically the human reasons.

Another type would be the dogs that require a grooming service (I have no problem with shedding and brushing myself) those breeds like poodles that their hair grows out of control and for the sake of the dog needs to be groomed frequently. It's just not my thing... my mother-in-law had a Norwegian Elk-hound, and boy did he shed like crazy! No problem there. Just don't do the groomer thing.

Thirdy I don't like yappy dogs either. I've had min pins and small breeds, but I generally can't stand super yappy.

There's my three =]
[notify]
Sakari

Divas can get- dirty too !

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 4:59pm PST 
Wanted to clarify on my list that not all are dogs that I couldn't handle, but mostly that I would prefer not to handle such as hounds and LGDs my mother now has 4 Pyrs and I handle them all just fine, but it isn't something that I'd want to deal with every day.
And as much as I love hounds, I don't think I could handle the smell ALL the timered face
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 6:06pm PST 
BRTs actually have my interest piqued, lol. But the coat! Major hurdle. silenced
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 6:27pm PST 
With Lilith on that one, anything with a work-intensive coat, I simply could not handle!

Woe is me, she who could not tame the savage beast that is the Spoodle laugh out loud

Maybe if I could keep them shaved 24/7. I'd get the Bouv added back on my list too, though I know of several people who would kill me for committing such a "sin" on either breed. At least the Bouv I could keep in a Schnauzer cut... fool everyone around me with my big, bad, brindle GS laugh out loud
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sat Mar 24, '12 7:04pm PST 
My friend had a Bouv growing up and I always thought it was the softest, loveliest most biddable breed of dog... ha! And then she told me about all the intruders he tried to eat over the years.

In my fifteen year old mind I was like 'what? Cute fluffy dogs just don't do that!'

Lol I probably would have thought the same about the BRT and Giant.... that all big fluffy dogs are the easiest handled, most wonderful creatures... easiest dogs in the world... BOL!
[notify]
Banjo

Little rascal

Barked: Sun Mar 25, '12 3:25pm PST 
I have a fair few breeds I wouldnt own. Probably longer than my would own list. After working around dogs for 7 years and meeting so many breeds of dogs you do really get to know what breeds you just wouldnt want to own.

My list
- Terriers, especially Jack Russells. Too full on for my liking
- Herding dogs like Border Collies and Aussies. Just too much energy for me. Banjo is very full on and I wont be going herding dog route after him.
- English Staffies are a no go for me
- Weimaraner and Dalmatian. Just way too boistrious and full on.
- Beagle. They're just too scent driven. Looked after one for a few weeks and he escaped all the time and still to this day I see him walked around the neighbourhood.
- German Shepherd. The only breed I'm actually afraid of. Been bitten by a few of them.
- Little yappy dogs. I'm not a little dog person. Only little dogs I'd consider owning would be Chihuahua and Cavalier.
- Chow Chow and Shar Pei. I've just met way too much with aggression issues. Very wary of both the breeds.
- Huskies. Such escape artists and I've almost all I've met have been extremely nippy. Plus the super high energy level and all that hair.

I'm a big dog person at heart. I love my big dogs and I dont think I'll ever get a little dog until I'm old and frail haha.

Edited by author Sun Mar 25, '12 3:26pm PST

[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sun Mar 25, '12 4:02pm PST 
"probably would have thought the same about the BRT and Giant.... that all big fluffy dogs are the easiest handled, most wonderful creatures... easiest dogs in the world... BOL!"

laugh out loud....ain't that the truth! That's one reason why you have to socialize the pants off a Giant when he's young, because people on the street see the fluff. People ask me if it's ok to pet my Cocker Spaniels a LOT more than they do my Giants. They just walk up and give them a big bear hug. shock If they only KNEW, but it's all good because they are socialized to put up with it. wink So many ill-bred bitey Cockers out there makes them safer in that context. Out in public, my Giants are a lot more at risk...less dog savvy people are really drawn to them and assume they are totally approachable, "every guy" kind of dogs.

Edited by author Sun Mar 25, '12 4:02pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 6 of 8: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8