GO!

Small, Quiet, Low Maintenance Coat, Non Hyper breeds?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
River

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 7:28pm PST 
Just curious if there are any breeds that fit those requirements? I'd be looking for a show dog. I love toy breeds, and toy spaniels. If that helps any. smile

Edited by author Thu Jan 26, '12 7:30pm PST

[notify]
Buster

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 7:41pm PST 
Italian greyhound maybe and I don't think cavaliers have terribly high maintenance coats here they shouldn't even be trimmed for the show ring
[notify]
Cricket

Wanna race?

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 8:06pm PST 
Just wanted to say that Italian Greyhounds tend to be quite active (and very much velcro dogs) - they are very different from their larger cousins.

I do second the Cavalier suggestion though! They sound like they could be exactly what you're looking for, though there are some health issues to watch out for. An English Toy Spaniel might also be another breed to check out.

Or maybe a Pug? Not exactly a toy spaniel, but it's also a small, pretty low-key breed with a low-maintenance coat.
[notify]

River

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 8:36pm PST 
Thanks for the suggestions! I love Cavaliers, but the health issues may be too much for me.. English Toy Spaniels interest me, as well as Japanese Chin. They are all somewhat related to Papillons, so I may be on to something. thinking
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 9:07pm PST 
Ah yes forgot about the energy level I know a whippet breeder who's ig happily keeps up with them and her irish setter. Cavaliers do have insane health problems as well heart murmers, eye problems, syringomielia but getting from a breeder who tests should reduce these. English toy spaniels are nice dogs too and as far as I know healthier the group winner at a big dog show here recently was one who competes in agility and several of that breeder's other dogs also compete

Edited by author Thu Jan 26, '12 9:09pm PST

[notify]
Sumo

Lady's Man

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 9:38pm PST 
I third the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. They are willing to please, good natured, and willing to try almost anything their person wants. They are sensible but happy-go-luckey and Unlike many Toy breeds, they housetrain easily.

For a longhaired breed, Cavs are easy to care for. Shedding is moderate...they only require weekly brushing/combing.

Other dogs are accepted amiably and Cavs are content to accept any place in the pecking order...but the demand equal lap time.

Plus, Cavs don't have the breathing issues of the English Toy Spaniel or other brachcephallic dogs.
[notify]
Tipper

Tipper is a- bully chested- little girl.

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 1:59am PST 
Have you considered an American Bullnese? They are small, need almost no grooming, and maybe a walk once a week. I think this is your ideal breed. Here is a good webpage about them:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/americanbullnese.htm

I also agree with those who suggested an Italian Greyhound, but will tell you that a Cavalier is NOT the breed for you. They are prone to suffering from seperation anxiety, are often very timid, will chase anything that moves, need lots of grooming, shed like crazy, and are a very poor breed in terms of health. How this breed can be recommended is beyond me. shrug
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 3:05am PST 
What on earth is wrong with those dogs? frown They look like they would struggle to walk sorry adorable hopping run
[notify]
Lauryn

Dalaborkie?

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 3:28am PST 
Are you talking about American Bullnese? Well....they can walk just as well as Dachshunds, English Bulldogs, Basset Hounds, French Bulldogs, etc....laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
Trixie Bean!

none so blind as- those that will- not see

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 4:17am PST 
Oh my goodness, what a bizarre cross breed!

Seeing as how the OP mentioned showing, im pretty sure a mutt isn't what they're after.

As for the CKCS, they do need more grooming than you'd think. We so often get them in for grooming at work and they are a matted mess. The owners ALWAYS say "We were told they didn't relaly need much grooming"... So just beware of that! Other than that, they do seem like a good fit. You would have to be super careful about where the dog came from though, of course. The potential health issues are a big worry.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3