GO!

Medium sized dogs with low prey drive?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Sun Jul 10, '11 4:45pm PST 
Hi I am trying to help a friend find a dog breed that might be a good match. They love cats and have several so they are looking for a dog that would be likely to get along well with cats.
They want a medium sized dog around 40-55 pounds and one that can hike with them so should not be heat/cold intolerant or very low energy.
[notify]
Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Mon Jul 11, '11 9:19pm PST 
Anyone?
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Mon Jul 11, '11 9:40pm PST 
Are they looking for a puppy or an adult rescue?

Many dogs typically thought to have "prey drive" are great when raised around cats.

How much grooming do they want?
Do they have a yard?
Are they wanting a really biddable dog, or just one to teach basics and manners to and leave it at that?
[notify]

Twister

wouldn't harm a- fly...XD

Barked: Mon Jul 11, '11 10:04pm PST 
Helloo! Hope your friends find a dog that is a good match for them! So I just went through a dog breed book and found a few that may match what they want, though I would still recommend researching further into them and other possible breeds. Some of them are hunting and retrieving breeds at heart, so while they may be good with the other pets inside, outdoors may be another matter(esp wildlife). I would also recommend going to animal shelters and seeing if they can find a dog there that is a good match, some may even allow them to foster the dog first. Most bully pups (Pibbles smile ) get along with cats. If any dog is raised from a pup with them, so much the better.

Anyhoo, some breeds that I found:
Portuguese Water Dog
Dalmation
Standard Poodle
Collie
Brittany Spaniel
English Springer Spaniel
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

I've mostly had mixed breeds, and all of them good with cats (I think Twister is a Border Collie mix, and his bff was a cat. He does react to squirrels though). Maybe some others with more breed-specific experience/knowledge will chime in.snoopykitty
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Mon Jul 11, '11 10:43pm PST 
I think they are leaning toward and adult rescue but may consider a puppy if that would be better to be sure the dog is good with cats. I don't think they are planning to do any sort of advanced training, just a "family pet" sort of dog (they have no kids, though). As for grooming they didn't say but I am guessing they would want a dog that does not need serious grooming or haircuts.
They do have a yard but no fence at this point (no one around there has fences), I am not sure if they're planning to fence part of it or take the dog out on leash.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '11 6:51am PST 
This is a hard one. On the one hand, prey drive doesn't really kick in until maturity, so raising a puppy with cats might or might not work. On the other hand, I've known rescues who were initially good with cats, but then after a month or so in the home would attack the family cat out of the blue. It will really take some careful thought.

I can tell you breeds I absolutely wouldn't have with cats: Siberian Husky, Shiba Inu, Pit Bull types. Huskies and Shibas have the absolute highest prey drives you can find, and although there are cat safe exceptions, I'd never choose one if you have your heart set on a multi-species home. Pit Bull types I also mention because they have very high prey AND play drives as well, and can do a great deal of damage to an unwary cat. A lot of cats come into our vet attacked by pitties, even pittie puppies who were just overzealous. Case in point, most breed specific rescues really know their breed, and all three of these automatically put "homes without small animals" as a requirement, regardless of the individual.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '11 12:11pm PST 
Tanuk my idea was for them to look for a rescue who is being fostered with cats, do you think that would give a good idea of whether the dog is cat friendly?

Edited by author Tue Jul 12, '11 12:11pm PST

[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '11 11:22pm PST 
One of our requirements for a dog was that it had to be cat friendly.
We chose Rexy in part because she had been raised with cats.

But, even though she had been exposed to cats in her previous home, it still took several months of daily, consistent training (lots of tethering and time outs) before I felt safe leaving her alone with the cats....not because I thought prey drive would kick in, but because I was worried that she would trample them in her obnoxious and rude attempts at play.

Ideally, I think they should look for a dog raised and fostered with cats. That way you have a better idea of whether the dog generalizes between the different cats.
[notify]