GO!

About how big will a Beagle/Rat Terrier mix grow to be?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Lilly

pet me

Barked: Sat May 14, '11 12:53pm PST 
One of our local rescues has a litter of them. They are 7wks old right now...all females and sooooooo cute. We might go look at them later today, but I need to know aproximately how big this breed mix gets. I know it can be hard with mixed breeds, especially not know about the parents. For reference, I've read that Beagle grow to be 20-23lbs & 13-15in and that Rat Terriers can be 10-13lbs (Miniature) or 13-18 (Standard) and 10-25lbs. Does anyone have experience with this mix? I don't know if it'll work, but I'm going to try and post a pic of the pups.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150186461811566 &set=a.194512541565.138783.86524951565&type=1&theater
[notify]
Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Sat May 14, '11 4:59pm PST 
I knew a dog who may have been Beagle/Rat terrier and my terrier mix also may have been mixed with both those breeds but both dogs were rescues so no way to know for sure. The female I knew was about 18-20 pounds and my dog was 25 pounds and 14" tall.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sun May 15, '11 1:44pm PST 
Lilly, do they actually know what the parents were? A lot of time breed guesses for shelter puppies (especially if they never saw both parents) are WAAAAAAY wrong. If size is a really important consideration to you (like you have a clause in your house or apartment lease about it) I'd pass on any litter where you can't meet BOTH parents.
[notify]

Torie

If you can roll- in the dirt, do- it!

Barked: Sun May 15, '11 5:35pm PST 
I know that shelters will tend to go for names of breeds that are popular (like Beagle) very what is more likely. For instance a Doxie mix will be called a Corgi mix as they are more popular. I am not accusing them of anything sinister. But that is the case.

It's so hard to tell with puppies too. I think they all look like little sausages. smile

You could ask if how the shelter knows the parents breeds because there may be reasons why they know them.

--des
[notify]