GO!

Thoughts on Mini-Aussies

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 6 of 6: Viewing entries 51 to 57)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 10:23am PST 
I am an Aussie enthusiast...I like my Aussies as Aussies and constantly am fighting the battle that two of my dogs are Aussies and not MAmS.

Within the Aussie standard it specifically states that "quality is not to be sacrificed in favor of size" so I think creating a new breed was a bit much. I have seen 17" Aussies do just fine is the ASCA ring (I won't start on AKC).

I have nothing wrong with MAmS, but I stand by my parent clubs on the whole "not a variety" thing (both ASCA and USASA are against it). Yes, Aussies were the foundation stock for the MAmS, but to consistently get the sizes that some of these MAmS breeders are getting that had to be many generations ago. I think the thing that really bugs me is that my girl is over 18" and still is called a "mini" and my boy is just on the smaller size as he is 18" as well, then the fact that I now have a beast of a girl that measures in at 20" they look tiny! I rarely get the average dog owner guessing the correct breed...I mean Aussies have been around for a long time.

I only know a few MAmS breeders I would ever recommend to people...there are sadly too many breeders that got on the bandwagon and just throw the small dogs together to get smaller dogs with no concern to temperament, instinct, or type. The vast majority of the Minis I have met have been ridiculously out of whack in the temperament department. They may be small, but I swear they have larger exercise requirements than my Aussies (even the MAmS from good breeders are still too busy for me).

I remember when I was researching breeds and started to look up the Mini, my neighbor had two and neither dog was my cup of tea. I was worried that the typical Aussie would not work despite Maggie being my dream dog (my neighbors owned her at first)...but it has worked out (plus the Mini rescue, MARS, flat out said I was not a fit owner for a dog after I filled out an app to adopt...lets just say that ARPH was happy to have me).

If you are interested in the MAmS, be prepared to slog through bad breeder after bad breeder to find that wonderful golden egg. If I pull up a local search (within 100 miles) I can only find a small handful of breeders I would go with...but I could find more than 3 dozen breeders that are not at all good. They seem to be a popular puppy mill dog as well...so really have to be careful in that department as well.
[notify]
Tango

Run Fast - Bark Loud

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '12 8:46pm PST 
It's my understanding that a lot of the objections to the mini-aussie/North American Shepherd are that they have not maintained the breed standard in the smaller sizes. Supposedly the heads of the mini's do not have the same shape as the regulular aussies, and there are other proportions that changed as the dogs were bred smaller. At least some the the characteristics that were lost have a function in the working aussie, and are not just for "beauty.". The regular aussie people feel that there are enough physical differences in the minis that they are not true aussies. This comes from the ASCA folks. I don't know about the AKC stance. I have seen a few minis in agility and they were nice dogs. My main concern with any breeding of smaller versions of established breeds is that it is done as more of a novelty rather than a serious attempt to create a quality dog.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 5:20am PST 
I love my Mini Aussie. He is part of our family, and he is already one of the best pets I have ever had. In July, he starts puppy agility classes. I have dreams of getting him well enough trained that I can put him on U - Tube. Since I am a video - editing enthusiast, this idea appeals to me.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 5:25am PST 
I love my Mini Aussie. He is part of our family, and he is already one of the best pets I have ever had. In July, he starts puppy agility classes. I have dreams of getting him well enough trained that I can put him on U - Tube. Since I am a video - editing enthusiast, this idea appeals to me.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 5:29am PST 
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 5:47am PST 
Noah is technically supposed to be a mini aussie. Both his parents are minis (true minis, not bred with papillions or anything like that, they're around 25 pounds I believe). All the dogs that I saw at the breeders house were beautiful, nicely proportioned animals. But Noah is what a call a jumbo mini, he's basically more just a small "regular" aussie at about 45 pounds. Which honestly, now that I have him, I like this size better. But in my salon, I see these "mini" and "toy" aussies that are like 10 pounds, which I do not like because they do not look like aussies nor could they ever perform the job of one.

Edited by author Thu Jun 21, '12 5:48am PST

[notify]
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '12 9:17am PST 
The original thread was posted April 4, 2011; over an entire year ago! LOL!

I love that this topic has yet to die. smile I love aussies, too.

Thank you everyone for your input!
[notify]
  (Page 6 of 6: Viewing entries 51 to 57)  
1  2  3  4  5  6