GO!

Tibetan Mastiff's anyone??

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
BRT

Please, be nice - ... or else!

Barked: Tue Mar 29, '11 10:49am PST 
Having forgotten to address the rest of your questions:

Would I own one? …
Not in this lifetime.

Impressive appearance, size, protectiveness, athleticism.

Dislikes: All that hair (shedding), far too protective (for our society), aggressiveness (which is not to be confused with protectiveness), very independent, a general lack of trainability and, (and this is my assumption here based upon everything I’ve seen and read, and I stand ready to be corrected), this is not a particularly bright breed.

China or the USA? ...
An academic question, as I would never own one. But the reality is that, unless I mortgaged my home or won some sort of lottery, I don't think I could afford (even) a decent T.M. from a good breeder in China.

blue dog
[notify]
Granite- Gables Lets- Show'em

Lets Show'em- what WE are MADE- OF

Barked: Tue Mar 29, '11 4:33pm PST 
Hey guys thanks for your input. I’ve been looking at this breed for a while now. I have experience with Akitas and own two shibas, so I understand the aloof, stubborn, aggressive, must earn their respect breeds. I do like a challenge and this breed has many traits I’m familiar with and don’t mind.

Currently if I were to get a TM my fencing wouldn’t hold up to their famous chewing habits. My shiba seems to think he has to chew on the fence and has actually chewed his way out when I let him out to pee once. I’m in the process of finding the best made kennels I can and drawing up plans for our new building where our dogs sleep. So I defiantly would have to have my kennels TM proof if I decided to get one after working with them. I have no intentions of breeding this breed if I do get one, I’m dedicated to my Shelties and Shibas which are the only ones I plan to breed. I just have other breeds I’d like to work with/show and possible own. As a handler just starting my career I have been looking at old breeds, which have presence, that catch the eye in the ring.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Mar 29, '11 4:42pm PST 
Harlow almost forgot!!!

Big Splash is a very beautiful TM(for only 11 months!!eek), I wish I knew the breeder and the owner. (I day dream of showing Big Splash in the USA for the owner and breeder) LOL that would be MY wishful thinking.cloud 9

If you know some breeders from China that would possibly be willing to send one of their dogs or even a puppy to the USA to be handled I’d love to know. I’m very fond of the Chinese TM.
[notify]

Josephine

Yeah, I can do- that, but I- won't!

Barked: Wed Mar 30, '11 2:15pm PST 
you could call or send this guy a message and ask him about the breed and get more information:
http://www.tibetanmastiff.com/main_files/main.htm
I have seen him at a show once and his Mastiffs are amazing. He is very experienced and shows successfully. Also you might be interested in the pups..
Good luck with your goals and have fun!
Warm wishes, sonja
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Thu Mar 31, '11 3:59pm PST 
Granite Gables, I'm not trying to sound condescending as I know that the breeds you have experience with are tough, aloof, assertive breeds... But truly, they aren't even in the same category as the TM. I researched this breed thoroughly a few years back when that one TM was all over the news for being sold for such a high rate (the first one that was on the news... I know a few have since followed). The TM makes akitas and shibas look like childsplay. And I'm not saying that to bash the breed either. As someone said, I'm sure there are individuals who are not like this, but in general, this is how the breed is supposed to be.
[notify]
Haunter

Ch. BIS- Wandering Spirit- Vom Wildweg CGC

Barked: Thu Mar 31, '11 4:43pm PST 
I groom a pair of them, lovely dogs.

They are not pets... they need a working environment or an owner who can fulfill their needs.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Mar 31, '11 6:48pm PST 
Bam Bam
I understand what you mean. But really all I’m looking into right now is “working” with this breed. I have no intention of getting this breed for myself right away unless I know I can handle them, so showing/working a dog for the breeder is (in my opinion) a good way to get to know a breed. This is how I got into Shibas and Akitas.

I know the breed is supposed to be this way and I have great respect for this. I have no intentions of breeding TM’s and don’t plan on owning one for myself until I have more experience with them. Some breeds I love to work with, but would never own, so who knows the TM may only be my work partner. I just like to talk to their handlers and breeders to form relationship so I can learn more about the breed. I also like to combine the opinion of others for breeds I’m looking into handling. This is another breed I have on a list of dogs to meet and possibly potential clients.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Fri Apr 1, '11 8:00am PST 
I almost wonder if TM's are somehow being bred for more severe temperaments over there? thinking

I have never, from the countless TM breeders websites i've trawled through heard them described quite as dramatic as they're being described here.

In fact this is a quote from a well established breeder of TM's.....

We brought her home when she was about nine weeks old, and it has to be said that she's one of the sweetest and easiest puppies I've ever had. Her only troubles are that she is a bark-a-holic, and that she is a nightmare to feed. But I would not part with her for the World!

I also knew a lady on dogster who had two TM littermates ( i know, crazy right?! )and that was one thing that she said....they're very picky eaters and feeding can be really hard going. I've also heard that they bark alot!

I even know a TM that is the first TM in the UK to become a PAT dog ( therapy dog ). You don't achieve that without an exemplary temperament.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Apr 2, '11 4:26pm PST 
Tyler
I do think your right!! I wanted to post this as I know people have many opinions and stories about them. The info I’m getting from overseas Dogsters and from local breeders is helping me decided just what kind of kennels and securities ill need to invest in for the breeds I intend to handle. I would rather be extra safe then just OKAY safe!!!

Thanks guys for all the help! Harlow ill be sure to email you about the breeders so I can get a better idea of safe enclosures from them and differing temperaments in the USA to China. Sonja thanks to you too.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 11:48pm PST 
I have a Tibetan Mastiff and this is my second one. If you want to know about them I can tell you from my personal experience.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2