GO!

America vs. Germany: the Boxer

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  
Cain

Q.E.D., baby,- Q.E.D.!

Barked: Sat May 29, '10 4:00pm PST 
You are truly EVIL, Mulder - without a doubt, EVIL. laugh out loud
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat May 29, '10 4:02pm PST 
I needed to share my angst with someone! laugh out loud
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sat May 29, '10 5:04pm PST 
H^LL FOR MULDER

If any consolation, already finished, so you'd need top sell all your worldly possessions to afford him wink
[notify]

Cain

Q.E.D., baby,- Q.E.D.!

Barked: Sat May 29, '10 10:00pm PST 
Good gawd, that dog has all the blood in the world! laugh out loud Tiller, you rate a 10 out of 10 on the "torture" factor.....laugh out loud
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun May 30, '10 11:12am PST 
Maybe its best I don't have any extra funds... best not to even kid myself shock

Lordy, though... to be eccentrically wealthy and have infinite free time... I would have them all cloud 9
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sun May 30, '10 12:42pm PST 
I've always thought that's one COOL thing about dogs. Even were I 100 times richer, I'd wouldn't really be "moving up" in terms of dog...there's nowhere to go. That said because there are only so many I'd have on a personal level, to where I thought I could devote the time and enjoy the bond optimally. And in terms of quality, pedigree, etc., there's no dog out of reach financially if I plan enough for it. Of course a little different if I wanted as finished dog, but I never would. So I think it is cool. I can't have a Rolls as a weekend touring car, so ok, I'll have a Crown Vic instead. But if I were a gamillion times richer than I am, I'd have still gotten Tiller, or Pogo, or whatever. They are the best money can buy....if you get all freaky about pedigree and type and history and yada yada.....and fortunately far more affordable than horses in the same dynamic.

I revered von Kirschental (a herding-minded SV kennel, which was super uncompromising about character).....Here's a Leerberg von Kirshcental Article For You, Mulder.....and he had a bitch from one of his top HGH lines who was bred to Eros vom Busecker Schloss, which resulted in a producing dynasty, culminating in VA Xitta von Kirschental by the stud muffin Lasso di Val Sole. Of her, her breeder said...

""Xitta" was a pure working dog with the sheep, when I presented her for the first time at the HZS, where she achieved V4 in the GHKL. At the evaluation, quote the Bundeszuchtwart, Hermman Martin: " I would have placed this dog VA, had she also had a SchH title, not just the HGH." Thereupon, I had Edzard Müller train "Xitta" through SchH3 IPO3 FH. The following year, "Xitta" achieved VA3. As much time was spent for competitions and shows, I was not able to breed "Xitta" as much as I would have liked to."

So that got me pumped. That's what I wanted. A dog from a bitch from this line, stemming through Xitta herself. Happened to find one sired by a border patrol guard out of Belgium who had garnered perfect protection phase scores here. That was Pogo. How do you get better than that? Can't. And I was in my early 20's. Might as well have been Secretariat for how ultimate that pedigree was and how much I had brought myself to yearn for it. *Cool*

Edited by author Sun May 30, '10 12:49pm PST

[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun May 30, '10 3:08pm PST 
Ahh, but I wouldn't want the money for the dog itself... I'd want it for covering all those "hidden" fees that are sure to ensue with owning it laugh out loud

*this coming from the person who just replaced the backseat of a friend's car, who Mulder apparently thought would make a palatable chew toy*

I got Mulder for dirt cheap. Provided Mulder's breeder wasn't the best in the world, nor were his parents titled in anything... but he was the dog I wanted. His blood, his lines... and alright, his adroable little face wasn't too bad to look at either laugh out loud

I'd do it all again, gladly. And I know there are tons of dogs out there who's purchase price doesn't at all reflect the quality of dog you're getting. Like the Schraderhaus pup... I assume they aren't asking as much for her because her father died in an accident before he was able to title (health testing was done, however). And because she's a LC. But me, I'd buy her in an instant. I guess there are times where "quality" is strictly a personal opinion, and for me, I see it in that pup. Just like I saw it in Mulder.

If only!!
[notify]

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 3:47am PST 
I enjoyed reading this post and would like to add.

If you read the early history of the breed and I mean the very early.

The Boxer as a breed that basically only exists because of it's proved it's ability as a War Dog in WW1

It was actually used in War before WW1.

The Boxer as a a Dog or Breed existing before official breed status
Germans referred to that "Type" of Dog as a "Boxer"

The First Boxers sent to America were given to the American Red Cross from the Kaisers Kennels.

The Boxer really is a Cross Bred between the British Bull Dog and the German equivalent the Bullenbeiser. German Bulldogs and the British Bull Dog.

I had one in NZ for 10 years it was a great Guard Dog it came from English Boxer Lines
but I have to say I was keen to get a GSD was talked into a Boxer and was very impressed.

The Motto of the Munich Boxer Club is
"The Boxer Fears Neither Death Nor the Devil"

As a breed they can handle a bit more than just Domestic Police Dog Work

The friendliness is referred in the earliest reports of them in combat situations.
[notify]
Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 9:52am PST 
Just thought I'd share. I found some video of the dogs Cain posted. I saw these a few days ago then came across the thread just now and recognized the one that looks HUGE. laugh out loud

Here he is-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyBvlAi-kdM&feature=channel&li st=UL

And other dogs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky25bCe9rAU&feature=channel& list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xioBwpTLJ_A&feature=chan nel&list=UL

Edited by author Sun Sep 9, '12 9:55am PST

[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 2:07pm PST 
Wow look at those hunky Boxers!!! shockshock They make Kashmir look like a soft bunny rabbit. big laugh They also look like a bull mastiff alot. Really cool photos and videos!!
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3