GO!

Breed match generator with a twist

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Gir

All that lives- is holy.

Barked: Mon Nov 23, '09 2:17pm PST 
I'm not sure what to think about this, except that it's quite possibly the worst match generator I've ever seen. The questions were mostly irrelevant and were more about what image you wanted to portray with your future dog than what future dog would make you most happy.

http://www.hunch.com/dog-breeds/
[notify]
Tinker

Go big or go- home

Barked: Mon Nov 23, '09 2:41pm PST 
haha, the questions did seem silly but it did match me with a papillon which is one of my all time favorite breeds! cheer
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Mon Nov 23, '09 2:49pm PST 
Interesting... thinking

My top dog was the lovable Mutt cloud 9 Seen as i put i'm not fussed about pedigree or a mixed breed. Second was the Golden Retriever, 3rd the Lab and the wild card a Boxer x Kangal thinking

Erm..just did it again but this time i chose the only pedigree feature and still got the Goldie as top, Lab as second, Boxer as third and the Boxer x Kangal as the wild card shrug
[notify]

Gir

All that lives- is holy.

Barked: Mon Nov 23, '09 2:49pm PST 
It gave me golden retriever x australian shepherd! shock

That does NOT sound like a dog I'd want to own.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon Nov 23, '09 3:20pm PST 
I got Boxer when I said I hated shedding ( I mind it some but I dont hate it.) and when I said I didnt care about shedding it said Australian shepherd!shock Not a dog I see myself with! Boxer and Lab (that was on second list) I could see myself withthinking

Edited by author Mon Nov 23, '09 3:20pm PST

[notify]
Theodore aka- Teddy - **CGC**

Big Head. Big- Heart.

Barked: Mon Nov 23, '09 3:44pm PST 
weird.

My top match was a "boxer x kangal" . I don't even know what a kangal is big laugh

After that, it said a golden retriever, which honestly, is not a dog I'd ever really want.
[notify]
Last Ehco- RPT CGN RNCL

in dog training- jerk\'s a noun- not a ver

Barked: Mon Nov 23, '09 3:54pm PST 
Hmm...my top breed was Doberman...second was mutt...third golden retriever/lab mix...and the wildcard was boxer x Kangal.

I could possibly see myself with something along the lines of a dobe (more likely a rottie) I'd definitely get a mutt, but I really can't see myself getting a golden x or boxer mix...
[notify]
Gir

All that lives- is holy.

Barked: Mon Nov 23, '09 3:58pm PST 
A kangal is a somewhat primative, hard-hitting livestock guardian from Asia. They're relatively high energy, high protection drive, challenging to obedience train, and very, very large. Pound for pound, they're some of the strongest dogs you could ever, ever hope to meet. 120 pounds of the strongest pound for pound dog, to be exact. They're also moderately heavy shedders. They're not a dog for the average dog fancier, and they're a hard dog to handle.

Boxers are happy, over-the-top active brachycephalic dogs bred to guard and bait bulls, but lately just a fun family dog that is boisterous, playful, and all-around delightful.

NOW. How is that dog anything like your number two match, a Golden Retriever? Does a mix between those breeds sound like a good idea to anyone?!

I'm not against crossbreeding or creating new breeds if done responsibly, but I can't imagine a responsible breeder creating a BoxerXKangal cross.

If any dogsters know of anyone who does so responsibly, please let me know. shock

Although I did appreciate that general mixed breed was on there. I can't remember how they phrased it, but I liked that.
[notify]
Mya CGC TDI

I'm your new- best friend! Pet- me!

Barked: Mon Nov 23, '09 4:03pm PST 
#1 - Aussie Retriever (designer mix) - NOT what I had in mind...
#2 - Border Collie - Definetly one I've thought of and love!!!
#3 - Collie - Right behind the BC!
Wild Card - Jamthund??? A Spitz breed...and not for me once again!
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Nov 23, '09 4:04pm PST 
Really, I have taken worse tests. I took the one on the Purina page some time ago and it recommended that I get a Bernese Mountain Dog - even though I had checked medium size as a preference.

(I think the Bernese Are BEAUTIFUL, so if you have one, congrats and no offense!)

This test recommended a mutt - ok, I have two - and when I chose purebred option it gave me Border Collie. Dog number 2, Samoa is maybe Aussie, maybe Border Collie mix - so on target there.

Savannah - Labrador, field type
Samoa - Border Collie Mix
Dublin - God only knows!

And love them every one!

(Modified to add: A Retriever / Aussie is a designer dog? Really?)

Edited by author Mon Nov 23, '09 4:07pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5