GO!

Alright Tiller: Scottish Deerhound Vs. Irish Wolfhound

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Mia & Dot

the Sisterhood

Barked: Tue Apr 14, '09 9:09pm PST 
I think this question got buried in another thread. laugh out loud

Is this like apples & oranges? I know everyone on here is IW nutty laugh out loud I have the history part down, & I'm not sold on either one yet just curious.
This is my best info so far: http://www.irishwolfhoundabc.com/irish_wolfhound_stories_3.shtml
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sun Apr 19, '09 9:32am PST 
People will always be Irish Wolfhound batty. They are so awesome, you meet them and they have such a regal air, then you hang with them and they have this wisdom and kindness that just dominates. But whereas the Irish Wolfhound seems like some supersized perfect pet, the Scottish Deerhound is something more exotic. I am glad you are interested smile

To be real, none of us really think of the Irish as a "sighthound" beyond the mere function of the term. No, to us "sighthound" means that aloof, proper, almost deer-like Bedouin dog, reflective of a different culture. That is one of the fascinating things in the world of dogs to me....the cultural reflection we see in breeds. While the Scottish Deerhound is more reminiscent of that sighthound type than the IW, we do see the fruits of him being influenced by his more European roots and their sensibilities, namely that for a sighthound he is more emotive and willing and often more expressively kind. This is a dog with a gentle soul and much sweetness. Because he is more expressive, you can see the vulnerability in his sensitivity more strikingly. He wants to belong to you, is a very dear dog, and can be quite gracious.

In the home, if the IW is a couch potato, the Scottish Deerhound is a mashed potato laugh out loud The IW is calm, yes, but an attentive and doting companion, whereas the Scottish Deerhound is less ever-present, showing more of that "house lounger" vibe we expect. Let him know when something interesting is going on and he'll been keen to join you, but for the moment he wants to know where that darn pillow is wink He will gladly share his affections if you come to him, though, and is more expressive than you might think. The Scottish Deerhound actually has a frisky side and a naughty sense of humor, is more socially inclined, and once outside you get to see his vibrancy of character come more into element. And not only that.....I personally find this dog striking to watch....floats across the ground with almost a delicacy, as if on eggshells - marvelous suspension.

You will find the Scottish Deerhound to be keener and extremely willing. The regalness and hugeness of the IW does take from them a certain hup-to-it-ness by some views. Both breeds are extremely gentle, but the IW is the more stable dog....indeed beyond the point of comparison, for that stability defines him....whereas the Scottish Deerhound a little more tentative. The chase reflex is probably stronger in the Scottish Deerhound. You will find he is more inherently inclined not to listen when he has better things to do as well, and a little more prone to find trouble to get into in unexpected ways. The irish Wolfhound can find trouble himself, but more within the realm of your expectation. Both the IW and the Scottish Deerhound do have some tendency towards shyness if improperly socialized, but with the Scottish Deerhound there is more of a natural caution, and due to the lesser stability (in comparison....do note this is a low key dog) they can be more easily affected. A very well reared Scottish Deerhound, however, can be outgoing and has the potential to be far less aloof than you might expect of a sighthound typically. They can, indeed, be bright and engaging. A lesser raised Scottish Deerhound may be flighty and nervous....the breed does not deal well with harsh words or abrupt change....so it really comes down to how well you raise them and how attentive you are to their feelings. The best raised Scottish Deerhounds can be effervescent and charming, but always, ALWAYS gentle and considerate.

As for training, well, Mia, you will have to be brave because I am going to use the "S" word you dread so. Yes....stubborn laugh out loud Or at least some people would say that. Not really, though - you just have to be sighthound fluid wink The Scottish Deerhound is actually a very willing partner and even eager to please you, but he is not going to hang on your every word and if there is nothing in it for him, you might lose his focus. Sighthounds aren't really with that OB thing wink Training needs to be refreshing, not laborious, and pleasantly enthusiastic. If they perceive a benefit to involving themselves they will, and if they do not, they won't. That's about the long and the short of it. IWs are more stereotypically easy to train, but they are not going to thrust themselves into the enterprise with reckless abandon. If you are a smart, interesting trainer who keeps things light and upbeat, a Scottish Deerhound can be a keen pupil. Utterly useless if a bunny runs across the field, though.....when that happens, he's gone in a flash!
[notify]
Stinky

*insert fart- noise*

Barked: Sun Apr 19, '09 5:50pm PST 
applause I've always wanted to hear them compared. That was beautiful cry (happy tears)
[notify]

Mia & Dot

the Sisterhood

Barked: Mon Apr 20, '09 12:40am PST 
Thank you Tiller! cheer As always.
I've never met either one in person (although I did meet a suspicious IW looking mix the other day) so it would be hard to decide on your analysis & my reading alone. laugh out loud
In reality... I don't think either one has the 'oomph' I tend to be attracted to. Between the two, they really do make up my "perfect dos."
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Apr 20, '09 10:06am PST 
I am big with the "umph" factor myself....there are many nice breeds out there I really wouldn't own because it just wouldn't be a connection. Perhaps not a giant breed, but I still think you'd love an ESS wink Social, ridiculously affectionate, highly trainable, and umphy. But not so big. What's with this big stuff, anyway???? Great Danes are umphy but they are spazmos and have about as much work ethic as Gumby, who they oft remind me of.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Mon Apr 20, '09 4:12pm PST 
Tiller, your comparison was lovely and enlightening! big grin

But Mom loves Gumby! wink

What breed of horse would Pokey be?????? thinking
[notify]
Mia & Dot

the Sisterhood

Barked: Mon Apr 20, '09 8:04pm PST 
Don't think that I don't check out the ESS rescue every now & then laugh out loud
[notify]
Gir

All that lives- is holy.

Barked: Sun Jul 11, '10 8:50pm PST 
Bumping this up! Here's the Tiller comparison mentioned in the IW thread.
[notify]