GO!

lower energy large breeds

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Norbert

A mutt is the- stuff of dogness

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 2:50pm PST 
I always like to learn as much about dogs as possible. I kind of keep a list of lower energy, dog friendly, calm large breed dogs. Now Norbert is the perfect large dog for me since he is a large breed 103 lbs, relatively low energy, very mellow and sweet, and great with other dgos. He is a mix and I dont know what he is made up off. I always want to have at least one big dog so I try to think of breeds that would be calm, relatively low energy, and most important good with other dogs and cats.

Ive basically had greyhounds, basset hounds (which I kind of consider medium sized), mastiffs, and newfoundlands on my list. Im not so sure about the energy of the newfoundlands. I also prefer a rescue dog and Im not so sure about finding a newfie or a mastiff in rescue. The mastiff also might not be right for the multi dog home. Right now the greyhound is definitely winning for my future large breed though the prey drive makes me a tiny bit nervous, but I know the rescues cat and small dog test them. Id love to add some other breeds to my list though, and if anyone has any idea what Norbert is!
[notify]
S

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 4:27pm PST 
A surprising number of mastiffs end up in rescue -- and quite a few come in as normal dogs without issues...their owners just didn't expect them to get so big (I know, it doesn't sound possible, but it's true).

I may be biased, but they're great dogs. Mellow, good with kids (although rescue most likely won't place a mastiff in a home with kids under 12, simply because they could accidentally knock a kid over just by wagging their tails), very relaxed, generally gentle, generally low energy (once they get past puppyhood). A 200lb puppy is a *whole* lot to deal with, so if you decide on a mastiff, you might do better with an adult dog.

One note, as I'm sure you're aware, there are different breeds of mastiff. The one often referred to as English Mastiff, is what's generally referred to by just the name mastiff. Other mastiff breeds have very different (although equally wonderful) temperaments, Neapolitan mastiffs, Dogues de Bordeaux, etc. can have very different temperaments (some more inclined to protect property, some higher energy, some breeds have higher same-sex dog or stranger aggression etc, obviously, these are generalizations, the individual dog's personality is what makes the difference), and may require a different kind of family. I love Neos, and our sweet Neo girl was with us far too briefly, but she was challenging in different ways from our English.

I think your other concern was being good with other dogs. As a rule, they're generally best with other large-ish breed dogs (although they're not a high prey drive breed, it's more a getting stepped on kind of worry), rescues will evaluate dogs individually, to decide whether they can be placed with same or opposite sex dogs.

If you're interested in a Mastiff, I can help you find the rescue in your area.

Some other low energy, large breed, generally low-prey drive, breeds are Great Danes, Saint Bernards, Bernese Mountain Dog.
[notify]
Bo

Mr. Cuddly- wuddly bear..

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 4:53pm PST 
I love, love the giants cloud 9 We have a Mastiff, Bull mastiff and a Great Dane. Annie our Bull mastiff is the exception to the rule. She is calm, submissive and an all around suck up. She is my best student and very sweet. She is not stubborn or hardheaded. Most Bull mastiff owners I know think this is rare. But oh what a sweety pie she is, loves everyone and everything. Little dogs, big dogs and our cat.
Bo our mastiff is calmer. Puppy hood with a mastiff is something else, he was a little terror growing up. Now with Charley in the picture he has mellowed out so much. Bo is a perfect Mastiff in every way.
Charley, oh my Charley. She is a Great Dane and puppy hood is delightful laugh out loud She is energetic, curious, stubborn. lovable and a little stinker. She is going to be a great lady one day.
There are so many Mastiffs and Great Danes at local rescues. Ranging from 6 months to seniors. When the time is right I will look for a senior Mastiff. I personally can't say enough great things about these breeds and what a joy they are. If you ever have any questions what it's like to share your home with them feel free to ask me.
[notify]

Madison Marjorie

Serenity Now

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 5:08pm PST 
I too must admit I love, love, love the Mastiff, and so does Maddy (the make her feel like she's normal sized). I also of course love the Dane. I also can't say it enough that there are so many in rescue. Sooney is so right. It sounds funny but true. People get them wanting a big dog, and then they realize a Dane or a Mastiff is so much more then just a big dog.
[notify]
The Urban- Hounds- (Formerly- the

Every dog must- have his day.

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 5:35pm PST 
I was talking about the english mastiff. I like bull mastiffs and dogue de bordauxs but they are not right for me becuase of the potential same sex dog aggresion issue. I am not looking for a dog now, and hopefully wont be for many years since I wont get another large dog until Norbert passes on.

I do always just do a look on petfinder, just for fun, and I rarely see mastiffs. I think a resuce might be hesitant to place one wiht me since I have small dogs and always will. I love the giant breeds but I love the small dogs too and I cant have, ina small house with a small yard, five giant dogs, but I can have 3 small dogs, a medium dog, and a big dog (which is what I have). I dont know how resuces feel about mastiffs with tiny dogs. I am not concerned if the dog has a good temperament and they are raised together, Norbert is great with my small dogs and I always exercise caution. I worry when he passes on I wont be able to find or rescue another large breed that is good with small dogs and I LOVE big dogs.

I definitely would prefer to rescue a large breed, as opposed to going the breeder route, since I know particularly in an urban area, I live in jersey city, small dogs are so in demand that htey get adopted but large dogs languish at shelters. There is a large greyhound rescue near hear. Ive also seen some newfs in rescue but I wonder if its fair to keep them if you dont have a place for them to swim.

Edited by author Fri Nov 14, '08 5:38pm PST

[notify]
Madison Marjorie

Serenity Now

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 5:54pm PST 
Mastiff rescues will work on an individual basis. The one I help with doesn't have a size restriction on other dogs. It's a dog by dog basis. We have three small dogs and have had no issue with fostering giants. We also had Delilah our Dachshund when we rescued Maddy. Not everyone will write you off for having small dogs.
[notify]
The Urban- Hounds- (Formerly- the

Every dog must- have his day.

Barked: Sat Nov 15, '08 7:09am PST 
Thats very encouraging! Im hoping to have moved to a home in the country by them but if it doesnt work out we will be where we live now and we have a small yard and a row house. Our dogs go on daily hour long walks though and went on longer walks when they were younger. I actually think Norbert may be part great dane. If I couldnt get a large breed through rescue I wouldnt rule out a puppy from a reputable breeder but Id rather go the rescue route. Still this is years off so I have lots of time to think about what large breeds would be best.
[notify]
Madison Marjorie

Serenity Now

Barked: Sat Nov 15, '08 10:18am PST 
I'm with you I like to think ahead as well.big grin
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sat Nov 15, '08 11:00am PST 
Hey, Norbert....I will give you one. You guys have got to think outside your big dog box, you know. I mean, soooo cliche....Mastiffs, Danes, Newfs, Saints. Yadda, yadda - like who hasn't said THAT before laugh out loud big laugh

Norbert...I am going to tell you about this breed, and the only catch is that he needs a lot of exercise. He's a country dog, but in the house, he is just mellow AS. He has a laid back attitude and is actually rather famed for it. I will tell you that he is one of the SWEETEST dogs on the planet....just a total and utter love, and yet so few seem to know this. So grand is his legend, that no one thinks beyond it. He has served us SO well, that we in our minds never think of him as just a doggy. Well, I am setting that record straight right now.

He is a most heart warming animal and enchanting essence. He is a gentleman of sweetness and of well intentioned heart. He has a gentle spirit and kindly manner. There is no aggression in him - he is not a "bad actor" in any way. He is emotive...socially inclined, he loves greeting people and making a fuss, he's a bit clumsy, but he has tons of charm.

This is the breed EVERYONE knows in terms of his legend and his look, and yet so few know who he IS. You would be surprised to meet him. He's like a stately goofball. I cannot say it enough....he is pure sugar - just so kindly and well meaning. And yet, this is one of the most talented dog breeds on the planet. He is physically awesome, his talent is extreme, and he has so much HEART. He requires patience to train, but you ought never offer him anything but enthusiatic understanding....always be kind with him, for he is not being knowingly contrary or challenging you - he just knows what his job is and sometimes that distracts him. It rests at odds with a dog who when not on a mission wants nothing more than to hang out with you and be by your side.

And I LOVE THAT about this breed. Amidst canine workers, few are more impressive, and yet with his work clothes off, he is just a basic guy. He is mellow, laid back, VERY stable, absolutely trustworthy, and....may I say it again.....sweet AS cloud 9 I cannot tell you how many I have introduced this breed to who have just been beside themselves when confronted by his charming sociability, kindness, simplicity and good nature. He is level headed and affable. Yah, he drools, he's no ballerina, he's not for the house proud. But he is one of a kind and so very dear to my heart. I love impressive dogs, I love the monster workers, and to me he is singular in this regard, because he is one of the most awesome, and yet in the home he's just a good ol' basic doggy. Impressive on the end of a leash, and yet such an enchanting, well meaning and uncomplicated fellow.

Rescue? Sure. In fact, many times those slated for careers come up with dysplasia....even moderate amounts of it will preclude a professional capacity for this guy. Some get them carelessly, too. Not the most common of breeds in rescue, but they always are available and have the most forgiving hearts.

Who is this breed? AH HA...I am feeling spunky laugh out loud I want you big dog freaks to tell ME. A Dogster brain teaser wink

Edited by author Sat Nov 15, '08 11:07am PST

[notify]
Norbert

A mutt is the- stuff of dogness

Barked: Sat Nov 15, '08 11:28am PST 
Oh my I do not know!

But of course the classic mutt is often the best of dogs as Norbert proves

Edited by author Sat Nov 15, '08 11:28am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6