GO!

Giant Breed Dogs: To drool or not to drool

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Addie

Let's play!

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 2:06pm PST 
My husband and I currently have two dogs (a standard dachshund that is 14 years and a border collie/great Pyrenees puppy). We would like to eventually get a larger breed dog like a Bernese Mountain Dog or a Newfoundland. My husband has concerns about the amount of drooling that these large breed dogs do. We are looking for some drooling advice. Please let us know what type of giant breed dog you have and how much drooling it actually does. For example, little drooling occasionally or massive amounts continually. Thank you for your help!!
Staci
[notify]
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 4:01pm PST 
I do know Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs (a very extra large short haired version of the Berner) are considered a dry mouth breed. I'm not sure about Berners though. I know myself at some point in my life would love to own a GSMD!

Newfies are NOT a dry mouth breed by any stretch of the imagination! Drool, drool, drool! A lot of it, all the time.

None of your Mastiffs (English Mastiffs, Dogue de Bordeaux, Bullmastiff, Neo Mastiffs, ect.) are dry mouth breeds either! Again, a lot all the time. We hand out drool rags at the door, consider getting slimed before getting out of the door normal, and put time aside at least once a week to wipe the walls and ceiling of drool! big laugh

Good luck, my friend!

Edited by author Tue Jul 8, '08 4:07pm PST

[notify]
Madison Marjorie

Serenity Now

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 4:06pm PST 
We've had several Danes and Mastiffs and all drool. Some more then others but it's still there. With dogs that size some drool is going to happen.
[notify]

Schatzie

laser- dot!...laser- dot!...laser- dot!...

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 4:11pm PST 
forgive my ignorance, but why do so many of the large breeds drool so much?thinking
[notify]
Champ

Woof.

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 4:13pm PST 
As the above poster said, if you want an anti-drool dog, stay far from the sweet mastiffs. I grew up with 2 and you flood with the amount of drool. My friend has a newfie and it drools also. Not as bad as the mastiff but still pretty bad. My German Shepard doesn't drool that often, only after a (really) long drink.
[notify]
Champ

Woof.

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 4:16pm PST 
As the above poster said, if you want an anti-drool dog, stay far from the sweet mastiffs. I grew up with 2 and you flood with the amount of drool. My friend has a newfie and it drools also. Not as bad as the mastiff but still pretty bad. My German Shepard doesn't drool that often, only after a (really) long drink.
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 8:07pm PST 
Bernese Mountain Dogs are a dry mouthed breed - they do not drool (except when you have a tasty treat in your hand)laugh out loud. Newfs drool a lot, and you will need to keep a drool cloth near by at all times.
[notify]
Buddy- Doughnut- *CGC*ESA*

I\'m Jelly- Filled! *Gone- But Not Forgote

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 8:50pm PST 
Buddy is a Bernese Mountain Dog border Collie mix and his mouth is normally moist. When I have food it floods. Alot. I mean gaint nasty strings of glue like strings. laugh out loud
[notify]
Pippin CGC

King- Dingleberry!

Barked: Tue Jul 8, '08 10:14pm PST 
I have 4 great Pyrenees & they are a dry mouthed breed IF they have a proper mouth with a tight lower lip...In saying that, let them smell something tasty & even my Ch. show girl will drool to the floor!laugh out loud
What kind of temperament & personality does your Pyr mix have?
[notify]
Zeppelin J.- Dogg, ESQ

My Genetic Color- Code is e/e,- b/b.

Barked: Wed Jul 9, '08 8:06am PST 
you can get a puppy from Rock Hill Dog Ranch, all of their giant breed (mixes) are Non-Drooling.

big laugh

ps-i'm Totally Kidding. i'm Merely making Fun of another Thread started by Pippin, which is a Hysterical Read (Titled Something along the Lines of Hi-bred) if you Care to Laugh a Little.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3