GO!

Short Coat Havanese?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Copper (we- miss you)

Barked: Mon May 26, '08 3:54pm PST 
Hi all,
I'm Copper and my Mom's been thinking of adding another dog to the family.
She's been researching breeds for awhile and has fallen in love with Havanese.
Short haired Havanese aren't common, they are a genetic throwback and are actually an undesirable trait to a breeder but since they have a lower maintance coat Mom thinks that they'll fit in perfectly with our family.
Mom found a breeder in our area (10 minutes away actually) that has put us on a waiting list for a short coat Hav if one is born...it could be a few years but Mom thinks that it'll be worth the wait.
We have three human kids in the family and two cat brother's.
I am super mellow and love other dogs.
I play well with small and large breeds and I promise not to use the new puppy as a chew toy..BOL laugh out loud
I was wondering if any Havanese are around the site and if so I'd love to hear about your personalities, puppy training advice, ect....
Thanks much,
Copper
[notify]
Odin

Pups just wanna- have fun!

Barked: Tue May 27, '08 11:02am PST 
Odin is half Havanese half Maltese but from what I have read he displays lots of havanese traits. He is a sweet lil dog. He sticks to me like velcro and has to be with us ALL the time. If I am outside so is he if I am in the bathroom so if he.
Havanese also LOVE paper.. I mean love. If given the choice between food and a piece of paper towel they will choose the paper towel every time. They love to ripe paper into little pieces it end up everywhere. Odin ripes up paper and styrofoam. He will even go through the garbage to find paper to shred.
I keep Odin in a short puppy cut to cut down the grooming. I have ever cut his tail or his ears though.
He actually learns pretty fast most of the time. Potty training is still an issue though, but that is common with small dogs.
[notify]
River

Always hug your- puppy...

Barked: Tue May 27, '08 2:46pm PST 
thinkingthinkingthinking Can't say I have ever heard of a short coated havanese...

laugh out loudlaugh out loud I am a wonderful pup!! Just ask my Mum and Dadlaugh out loudlaugh out loud I am mischievious...and love everyone...especially childen. My fur is wonderfully thick and soft. She keeps me groomed nicely in a "puppy cut"....which is very easily maintained.

I am not a "yappy" pup at all....I really only bark when something has spooked mebig grinbig grin

I love to play...and snuggle too...

xoxo River
[notify]

Copper (we- miss you)

Barked: Tue May 27, '08 10:08pm PST 
Thanks for the responses.
Short coat havanese don't look anything like a havanese... it's hard to explain..here's a link to some pictures
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/havanesephotos7.htm
(you'll have to copy and paste the link...sorry)
I think that they are pretty cute though. way to go
I can't wait to bring our little one home. The breeder said that it may be a couple of years before they have a short coat puppy but then again it may only be a few months. I'm trying my best to be patient. snoopy
Paper shredding? lol ...my cats already do that.
The more the merrier I guess. wink
[notify]
Rudy

Rudy sin- barreras

Barked: Tue May 27, '08 10:39pm PST 
Couldnt you just get a normal one and keep it in a puppy cut?

My friend just got a havanese puppy. She says she's a handful, tons of energy, very naughty, the usual puppy stuff but x10 laugh out loud She's smart with potty training but definitely more difficult to raise than the labs she has. I'd suggest posting this in the Havanese specific forum as well.
[notify]
Odin

Barked: Wed May 28, '08 9:58am PST 
Odin is smart also. I showed him how to get on our bed using a pillow and the night stand because I don't have any stairs and I was tired of him waking me up at 3am wanting to get back up. I showed him once and now he has applied that concept to getting on the dinning table to steal food. Caught him eating butter yesterday.shrug

I would like another Havanese eventually, they are expensive though. A pet puppy runs 1800.00 minimum more for a show dog.
[notify]
Tucker

Tucker Wucker

Barked: Wed May 28, '08 12:38pm PST 
Havanese are really good dogs, are Neighbor had one and it was really protectent and really loving..
They are really smart dogs and it don't take them long to learn a comand.
But I never heard of a short Haired Havanesethinking..

Like another dog mentioned up there couldn't you just keep one puppy cut to?thinking

Havanese look cute when they are puppy cute. I got a picture of one that has been puppy cut and they left part of the tail long its a cutie..
[notify]
Odin

Barked: Thu May 29, '08 10:19am PST 
Here are a few pictures of the short coat Havanese

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/havanesephotos7.htm

They tend to not look like Havanese, and they shed unlike the normal Havanese. Odin's fur come out when I brush him but he doesn't leave fur anywhere.

Personally I would get a normal puppy and keep it in a puppy cut. I got clippers for Odin and I keep him at about an inch in length. I think I use a #4 on him. If you keep them short you should only need to brush them a few times a week instead of everyday. It only takes like 10min to brush Odin.
I only say a normal puppy because I think you should get the best puppy for your family and the short haired puppy may not have the right personality.
[notify]
Copper (we- miss you)

Barked: Thu May 29, '08 1:32pm PST 
Copper's Mom here...
I was originally planning on getting a getting a normal coat puppy but once I saw the short coat I fell in love with the look of them.
For me it's the best of both worlds...low maintance coat and all of the Hav fun.
I'm not saying that I won't be choosy about the puppy that we bring home. I plan on making sure that it's the right choice before making a comitment to a specific pup.
I've contacted the local Havanese club and they've put the word out that I would like a short coat and so hopefully I can have a few more options when choosing a puppy.
The wait may be longer this way but I'm confident that I've made the right choice. happy dance
[notify]
Cookie[♥]Dough

Cookie dough- yummy yummy

Barked: Thu May 29, '08 2:31pm PST 
Well like all of them said.. Couldn't you get one and keep it puppy cut..?shrug
But the short haird are really cute!!wink
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2