GO!

Really Great Low Energy Dogs

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Anastacia

Proud to be- Naked

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 3:43pm PST 
For all of you who do not a high energy dog, and would prefer a couch potato, here are some excellent breeds:

Clumber Spaniel
Afghan Hound
Basset Hound
Black and Tan Coonhound
Greyhound
Irish Wolfhound
Otterhound
Saluki
Scottish Deerhound
Anatolian Shepherd
Bernese Mountain Dog
Bullmastiff
Great Dane
Great Pyrenees
Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
Mastiff
Newfoundland
Saint Bernard
Sealyham Terrier
Skye Terrier
English Toy Spaniel
Pekingese
Bulldog
Chow Chow
[notify]
Bruno

Brunoski

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 3:47pm PST 
Great list. I would like to add Shih Tzu. Mine was the easiest baby I ever knew.
[notify]
Missie

Teeth kisses for- everyone!

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 3:52pm PST 
I second the Shih Tzu and add their close cousins (shedding style), the Tibetan Spaniel and the Japanese Chin.
[notify]

SW ON pug rescue

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 4:09pm PST 
What about pugs? my pug sleeps 14 hours a day lol no joke.
[notify]
Chipper

That's MR.- Momma's Boy to- you!

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 5:48pm PST 
Very good list! way to go This looks like the list we had when we first looked into adopting a dog! laugh out loud

I just wanted to add that while these are great low energy dogs, they all require some sort of regular exercise. Most of the breeds on the list can get portly very easily. They can also develop behavior problems if left unstimulated or underexercised. Always remember that low energy does not mean no energy.

All are great breeds! way to go

Edited by author Tue May 6, '08 5:49pm PST

[notify]
Douglas Kekoa

dig, dig, dig,- bark, bark,- bark, dig,

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 5:52pm PST 
Great advice Chipper. way to go
[notify]
The Urban- Hounds- (Formerly- the

Every dog must- have his day.

Barked: Wed May 7, '08 9:29am PST 
I love the lsit too I dream of an Irish Wolfhound. As others have said though every dog needs some form of exercise or mental stimulation. Even if you have a pekingnese that spends its day on the couch its important to at least take it out to pet smart and the park to get it socialized. IMO if people went for the lower energy breeds there would be lest dogs in shelters. Too many people run out and get a jack russel or husky cause they like the look and dont think about the work of owning a high energy breed.
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Wed May 7, '08 1:12pm PST 
Sorry, but I would have to disagree with you about the Bernese Mountain Dog. Mature, well trained Bernese may be mellow in the house, but this is a working dog and they should not be expected to be couch potatoes. Mine have plenty of energy and they need lots of exercise and a job to do, or they can be difficult to live with and they can be destructive. As puppies, these dogs have endless amounts of energy. This is also a breed that has tendancies to get overweight easily and extra weight combined with little activity = lots of orthopedic problems. If you are looking for a low energy dog, do not get a Bernese.
[notify]
Neville @ The Rainbow Bridge

Forever Loved

Barked: Wed May 7, '08 1:54pm PST 
Adopt a senior dog!!!!!! They don't have high exercise needs and they will come already trained, fully grown and with a fully developed personality!
[notify]
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Wed May 7, '08 3:14pm PST 
Somebody needs to tell my Bullmastiff she's supposed to be low energy.

Needing 5+ miles a day of walking/jogging (and then extra activities) I'd call her anything but low energy. "Exhausing" may just be a better word.

I kindly have to disagree with this statement. The female Bullmastiffs are renound for being high energy little suckers.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3