GO!

UKC vs. AKC

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '07 9:14pm PST 
I've been looking a lot at breeders and such and I am totally confused about UKC vs. AKC. How are they different? Why would someone show in one and not the other? Does a reputable breeder show in only UKC, only AKC or in both?
[notify]
Chase CGC

It's Mine I Tell- Ya! Mine! Mine!- Mine!

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '07 9:40pm PST 
Well, for rat terriers I know the UKC doesn't think of them as a breed so you can only show in the UKC, I think that goes with Pitties too.

I think that both clubs are good... Chase was register with both & ASCA. I am not sure what the difference is besides UKC recognizes some breeds AKC doesn't.

OH! Also while showing in UKC you are not allowed to use bait... I know that turns some people off when showing there.

ETA: I think a good breeder will show in either or both.

Edited by author Tue Dec 4, '07 9:41pm PST

[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '07 6:33pm PST 
There isn't a huge difference b/t the two. The AKC I belive has been around longer, but they don't have as many breeds that are able to register with them. The UKC has many more "rare" breeds that are able to show and register with them. Both have similar show styles but I prefer the UKC myself b/c they have a more relaxed feel to them..........plus the women don't have to wear pantyhose! wink and can dress much more comfortably.

They are both well known and are highly regarded, although the AKC has fallen from grace as of late with some issues.
[notify]

Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '07 6:34pm PST 
Cool, thanks for the information! Anyone out there on dogster show in both or have other insights?

ETA: Keiko, we were posting at the same time! Funny about the pantyhose!

Edited by author Wed Dec 5, '07 6:36pm PST

[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '07 6:58pm PST 
AKC was founded in 1884 for conformation showing. The UKC was founded in 1898 for working dogs. American Pit Bull Terriers were the first dogs registered (UKC).

For APBTs, the AKC didn't like the name, so they changed it (to Am Staff) when they opened the breed for registration. The dogs they accepted were all UKC registered. They then closed open registration and didn't open it again until the early 70's (again, only UKC dogs were accepted).

I've shown under both as well as the NKC (in the 70's) and the ADBA. The UKC isn't as fussy about how handlers are dressed. That is something I like, as I like to be comfortable and it is a pain in the butt to move a dog out in a skirt. (I've only shown larger dogs.) I've always worked with my dogs so that baiting them wasn't necessary. It isn't allowed at the ADBA shows (which is the last shows I've entered).

The thing to remember that if the dog is only UKC registered, you can't get AKC registration; however, if it is AKC registered, you can get UKC cross registered. (*Only applies if both registries accept the breed*)
[notify]
Ferris

Butterfly Ears

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '07 8:04am PST 
It will depend on your breed, but for many AKC breeds the UKC competition isn't all that tough because they are less people who compete. Again, it will depend on the breed. So that is one drawback.
[notify]
Marlowe, CGC

BAH-ROO-ROO-ROOO- OO!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '07 8:40am PST 
UKC does traditionally offer more working opportunities (ie, not just "dog show" conformation shows, but working trials that test the skills and abilities of working dogs).
[notify]
Lizzie

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '07 10:13am PST 
UKC also has some weirdness about what they'll accept to cross-register- but this is really only a concern in a few breeds.

(Hi Marlowe!)
[notify]
Gracie - In Loving- Memory

Service with a- Smile! : )

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '07 10:40am PST 
The UKC tends to look into the working qualities of a breed and rewards those who do more than just show for conformation. (you can get a special title if your dog wins in two different types of events at a single show) The conformation classes for the UKC are set up more to looking at the dog as a working animal and not just as a more extreme example of their breed. You can get UKC registration for your AKC dog. They do NOT suport puppy mills and question those who produce lots of puppies.

Sassy's daddy is AKC / UKC registered and won the UKC weight pull class for his size and pulled over 600 pounds! Not bad for an 18 lb dog! He is also a UKC champion!

The AKC will register any puppy that has parents that are AKC registered. There are incentives for registering more dogs. They are the biggest registery in the US. The main focus with the AKC is breeding for conformation classes, however they do offer many other types of competition and in most areas are the easiest type of dog show to find.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '07 11:35am PST 
Another difference is that in the AKC, the national breed clubs write their own standards, while the UKC is privately owned and controls the standards for the breeds it registers--and can change those stanards without the consent of the breeders. Both approaches can have their advantages and disadvantages.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2