GO!

help, I need a good small hiking dog

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 7 of 7: Viewing entries 61 to 69)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 10:07pm PST 
zombie post.
[notify]
Bogie

Have cats -- Will Chase!

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 11:04pm PST 
Whatever you decide, go for a short-haired breed. Or you will be combing small twigs, leaves, and burrs out of that coat for HOURS!!

We went camping 2 weeks ago & took my sons dog (Aussie-ACD mix very short coat) and my toy poodle. NOT FUN spending a couple hours after the hike picking burrs out of Remi's coat.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 6:07am PST 
I saw you were interested in corgis, and here are my two cents. I have Cardigans, not pembrokes, so I'll just weigh in on what I know:

I think Cardigans are too big for you. MOST Cardigans now are well over 30 lbs. That wouldn't have been the case even 10 years ago, but most of them are heavy like bassets now. Plus, Cardigans shed alot, they tend to have stronger herding instincts then Pembrokes, and they can be pretty barkey. Also, they're more independent then Pemmies.

Pemmies are probably around the size you're looking for, but they shed even MORE then Cardigans due to their spitz ancestry, they're a tad more needy and high strung, and they're also pretty barkey.

As with any dwarfed dog, you'll need to wait until their growth plates close before you do any kind of strenuous activity with them. I wouldn't start hiking or agility until probably about a hear and a half, but it will probably take you that long to get them 100% reliable off lead if you are diligent.

As for my epxeriences hiking, my cardigan female is just the best partner I could ever ask for. I've taken her on five and six mile hikes in really rough terrain and she LOVES IT. We hike twice a week. She never lags behind, always has a blast, 100% reliable recall, 100% dependable off lead, ignores other dogs and people, she's just really a joy to hike with. I honestly can't imagine a dog that's better suited for me then she is.

Of course, I end up carrying all of our water and food (eh, I don't care, no biggie for me) but she doesn't eat much and I have a fold up bowl for her.

Whatever you decide to do, just make sure you do alot of research and don't get a dog based only on one quality. You want a dog that you can live with, too.
[notify]

Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 12:41pm PST 
I'm another vote for either a Cairn Terrier or a mutt from a rescue puppy

I work with a lot of Cairn Terriers as my boss breeds them and I have to say, they are amazing! Small, tough, obedient and can go for miles!

But if not, nip to a shelter and have a look... The perfect pooch might find you there puppy

Good Luck!!!
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 12:43pm PST 
Considering this thread is five years old, I don't think the OP is still checking it wink
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 1:08pm PST 
Oh yeah... thinking

Who decided to bring it back from the dead?

Weird lol big laugh
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 2:21pm PST 
I started reading this, and was getting interested until I saw the dates...glad I didn't make it past the second page. -.-
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 1:40pm PST 
Some people are really surprised when they see Milton on hiking trails. While this is old, I would say a small mutt with longer legs would be the way to go. Milton has issues ascending mountains. Sometimes I pick him up and carry him up. I think it's because he has short legs. On the way down he runs and has no problems.

Some small breed dogs I can think of that I have seen hiking moderate Rocky Mountain trails, making it look easy: Shiba Inu, Basenji, rat terrier, jack russell, mini pin, mini schnauzer, toy poodle, American Eskimo, beagle, and a lot of small mutts like Milton.

These breeds have different temperaments and grooming requirements. Some would fare better in cooler climates while others are more suited for hotter climates. Where I live small dogs are overlooked because many people live active lifestyles and want big dogs. Many small dogs are full of energy and even do better than the big ones on hikes. I would get a mutt from a shelter.
[notify]
Howard

Tail Waggin'- Mutt

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 9:39pm PST 
Patterdale Terriers make wonderful hiking dogs. They need plenty of exercise as they are working dogs. They are hunting dogs (hunting small and big game such as wild boars, foxes, rabbits and raccoons). They are very tough dogs, fearless and brave. They shouldn't ever be trusted or left unsupervised with small animals. This dog needs a very experienced owner as this dog is not for everyone.
[notify]
  (Page 7 of 7: Viewing entries 61 to 69)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7