GO!

Brussels Griffons

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Sun Dec 10, '06 8:13pm PST 
I've never been much of a small dog person and have always swore the only small dog I would ever consider getting is a Frenchie, however, lately I find myslef mystified with the Brussels Griffons.

Does anybody know much on these pooches? I hear they're hyper to boot. Trainability? Advice? Anything?
[notify]
Kennitt

'It's all about- Me!'

Barked: Sun Dec 10, '06 8:22pm PST 
Mom doesn't know much about them (except they are awfully cute). She did get a chance to see the first (either UDX or OTCH che can't remember now) finishing his Obedience title. Was such a nice working little "Brussel Sprout", and the tinest little jumps, dumbels and scent articles you ever did see. Was a rescue Brussel also.

Woof!!
[notify]
Peanut

Mexican Jumping- Peanut

Barked: Mon Dec 11, '06 8:20am PST 
My brother and his fiance just got a Brussels about a year ago. Her mom has 2 Brussels(both rough coat....my brother's is smooth). They are the cutest things I have ever seen and they have so much personality. MacGregor(my brother's dog) is Peanut's best buddy. He especially looks funny because he is smooth. People ask all the time what he is, because his face kind of looks Pug-ish, but his body is all skinny and lanky, and he has this cute little deer-tail. Oh and the way he runs...so adorable. MacGregor is kinda hyper, but then again, so is Peanut, so it's not really anything different to me, he just likes to play a lot. He's learned how to sit and lie down and think high five, and is working on other things, so from what I've seen he's pretty trainable.

The only thing is...he spent a week at my parents' house, and he just does not know the meaning of "no!" I don't know if its just a stubborn thing or if he's been spoiled too much or what, but my family was getting kind of frusterated. But anyway. They are really sweet sweet dogs and so cute. My brother and his fiance get stopped all the time and are asked what kind of dog they have because no one has ever seen a dog like him.

Anyway, hope that helped a little bit.
[notify]

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Dec 11, '06 11:38am PST 
I used to know one. He was a little punk. But he was absoultly brilliant about it. His main goal in life was to be pet. I was once sitting outside, leaning against a sort of shoulder-height bench. This Weim puppy went running across it, slipped and fell in a confused mess stright into my lap. I started laughing and playing with him because... Aw, confused Weim pup. Well the Brussels must've saw it because just then he came leaping over my shoulder, sat on the little Weim, looked at me and quite clearly said, "I'm cute too. Pet me."

He was constantly filthy. He loved being shampooed, though (full body massage!) and some of us suspected he may have been doing it on purpose.

I dunno. I loved that dog. But he is the only Brussels I've ever met.
[notify]
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Mon Dec 11, '06 7:37pm PST 
The more I hear about them the more appealing they sound. I hear they're too smart for their own good, which is EXACTLY what Grace is. A good friend of mine (who also owns 2 Bullmastiffs---one male one female) is highly reccomending them to me. She says however, the males, even if neutered like to mark a lot and that they're very bossy and demanding. Sounds like my kind of dog. Ha! Thank you all for your stories! They all make me smile thinking of these little doggies! And you are so right, Peanut. The smooth coats look so weird. Like a little hairy alien dog.
[notify]
Lily

support your- local shelter!

Barked: Tue Dec 12, '06 6:23am PST 
http://www.brusselsgriffonrescue.org/rescuestories.html

Here is a link to the national brussels rescue! Lots of cute pups in need and three of them are available in KS where you are!

Edited by author Tue Dec 12, '06 6:26am PST

[notify]
♥Lenn- on♥

How could you- not LOVE this- face???

Barked: Tue Dec 12, '06 1:30pm PST 
My boss has a brussels. He's in the clinic a lot and does tend to mark a lot (even though he's neutered) he's a rough coat and he's got to be one of my favorite dogs. He's such a sweet heart, he's got a great personality and is just an all around cutie..
[notify]
Bo

Love me best!

Barked: Tue Dec 12, '06 1:37pm PST 
I didn't even know they existed, but people keep saying, "Hey, you look like that dog in 'As Good as It Gets'". I guess I look like one, but seriously we aren't related at all!
Mommy would love to know about them too. They sound like they have an attitude - just like me.
[notify]
Madeline

Snuggle Bunny

Barked: Tue Dec 12, '06 2:48pm PST 
I've wanted a Brussels Griffon since I saw Verdel. I've had a really hard time finding them though. There aren't any breeders near me. I think they have the sweetest little faces.

One of my students has one... A woman who works at her mom's bank was trying to give the dog away, (If I only knew! Grrr.) but no one would take her.. My student's mom felt bad, so she took the dog.
[notify]
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Wed Dec 13, '06 9:57am PST 
Awe, Madeline! At least the pooch got a good home.

Luckilly, the breeder my Mom got her Shih Tzu, Tuesday, from also breeds Brussels and she's only 30 minutes away, so we may in the future be looking for one. Since telling my boss (vet) that I may be looking at Brussels now, he has now told me ALL of the negatives to having a French Bulldog (healthwise) and how wonderful of a Brussels would be for me. We'll see.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2