GO!

Is it better ...

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Tucker- Archibald- Lee

Love me PLEASE

Barked: Sat Dec 9, '06 9:37pm PST 
to adopt from a shelter or a rescue group? I have heard sme people say to adopt from shelters befre rescue groups but i am not sure......
[notify]
Tippy

You can get- anything if you- sit pretty!

Barked: Sun Dec 10, '06 5:58am PST 
I don't see a real difference in adopting from a shelter or rescue.
In a shelter you are saving a dogs life, but with a rescue group you are saving a dog too, while it's true the rescue dog will not get put down if not adopted, it does make more room in rescue for a dog that may be sitting a shelter.
Why are people saying not to adopt from a rescue group?
[notify]
Tucker- Archibald- Lee

Love me PLEASE

Barked: Sun Dec 10, '06 12:42pm PST 
Thay have said that you should try to rescue form a shelter first because those dogs are in danger of being put down. But my arguement is that if you adopt from a rescue they will then save one from the shelter so either way you are saving a pup!
[notify]

J P

A DOG is for- LIFE.

Barked: Sun Dec 10, '06 5:34pm PST 
Thank you so much for asking this question. I don't know if it is because I live North, but I don't know what a rescue is. We have the city pounds. If owners don't pick up, the pets go straight to the SPCA (shelter?). The SPCA works with about 50 foster groups, but keeps the pets who can't be fit to foster groups. I always checked the SPCA first, because, even though they claim space is not an issue, I hate the idea of dogs being in a pen for a long time. The foster dogs most often have homes to sleep in, at least on a rotating basis, and face no threat of euthanasia.

Edited by author Sun Dec 10, '06 5:44pm PST

[notify]
Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Sun Dec 10, '06 6:07pm PST 
Well, I think it is geat of you adopt no matter what. I volunteer, and foster, for a breed specific rescue.

So, how our rescue works is simple- we have a certain number of dogs we can have in our "system" because of our limited number of foster families. When one of the dogs in the system is adopted, we go within the next few days to local kill shelters and adopt a husky out of a shelter. We pretty much know which shelters have huskies because we ask them to alert us, also, animal control also knows to alert us if they get a Sibe.

We only adopt out of kill shelters. We do not accept dogs from private owners, or from no kill shelters. So, the Siberians we adopt out will be destroyed if we do not get them. Many are, if we have no open slots for them. So, the Siberians we rescue are no different from the other dogs in the shelters - they will be destroyed if time runs out.

Trust me, I have struggled with the moral implications of only rescuing a specific breed. I guess for me I justify it with the fact that there are ALWAYS Sibes needing homes in FL- sometimes our rescue has a waiting list that is months long since we have so few foster families, and limited resources.
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Dec 11, '06 12:25pm PST 
Given that you're saving a life either way, as others have covered, I think that what it comes down to is how well you need to know the dog in question.

A shelter is not going to know their dogs very well. They were essentially dumped on them, usually by people who don't care. Or who care just enough to think lying about why they gave up the dog will help. After the dog is in the shelter, for the most part they live in a cell until they're adopted or their time is up. Some are lucky enough to get foster care.

In general, all a shelter can give you in terms of info is general breed characteristics, and how the dog has interacted with them. Nothing about how they are with other dogs, cats, children... people wearing hats, their work drive, their specific exercise needs, if they'll gaurd you, if they'll gaurd from you, and so on. There is not enough time, money or manpower to find out.

A good rescue will spend enough time with their dogs to answer these types of questions. Maybe not every one exactly, but they should have some idea. The biggest issue there is that dogs live differently with everyone, and sometimes a dog who did not exhibit any problems in one home will have them in another (or vice versa... I can't tell you how many Huskys have been given up for "being bad with kids" since a Husky cross a bit a child in Mass. None of them that I have met have had a single problem with a child).

Unfortunately, just as some shelters have fantastic programs going on, some rescues are not-so good. No matter where you go in rescuing a dog, there are always going to be people trying to place as many dogs as possible by any means possible. I have seen rescues and shelters alike sugar-coating to outright lying about everything from breed to temperment. No matter where you go, remember that there is a reason every dog has been given up. The trick is finding a reason that works with your lifestyle.

Edited by author Mon Dec 11, '06 12:26pm PST

[notify]