GO!

Bringing a new Dachshund puppy home

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

Queenie- 1996-2007

I'm watching- over you,my- family

Barked: Mon Dec 4, '06 5:59pm PST 
Hey guys!... so, I bought a mini dachshund from a breeder and I will pick him up tomorrow... ANY advice on how should I prepare for this would be greatly appreciated.Thanks !

Andrea

p.s: I have never owned a Dachsie before.
p.s 2: Hey,Queenie here. Iam very jealous and I need help with dealing with a new pup.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Dec 4, '06 10:23pm PST 
I think the most important thing may be to make sure everyone has his or her own space, and knows it. It is rough having a new puppy, period, especially for older dogs. If the puppy then takes over every aspect of life - the treats, the toys, the beds, the people... It's earth shattering and will create contempt. I would create a no puppy zone somewhere, be it in a crate or back bedroom, or whatever. Then make sure you go out of your way to spend one-on-one time with the dogs you all ready had - Which can be tougher than it sounds, with all the newness and excitement and work of a puppy.
[notify]
Rondo

Puppy Prodigy

Barked: Tue Dec 5, '06 6:22am PST 
Congrats on your new addition! There was a dachshund thread a ways back if you want to get a bit of an idea. Dachsies are terrific dogs and you're in for a treat!

I'd recommend talking to Francis. His mom knows a ton about weenies and gives really good advice; his diary is like the mother lode of dachshund knowledge BOL!

Poncho

Weapon of Mass- Distraction

Barked: Tue Dec 5, '06 8:48am PST 
I agree about Francis, BOL! He's my doxie library for all great information. Personaly I would just say to start early with training. Us doxies are known to be little buggers when it comes to obedience. I was given up because of my "untrainability". We are tougher than some breeds, but we're good dogs with proper training and socialization
[notify]
♥ Ch- Francis....- THD CG

Barked: Tue Dec 5, '06 8:54am PST 
See my page and diary. Lots of info and notes to what I've found to be the Best Books on living with Dacshunds that I've read so far.

Crate train crate train.... and get ready to smile a lot.
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Sun Dec 17, '06 1:44am PST 
No matter what happens at 1st give the dogs as long as it takes and they Will become best friends!!! I have Bama a dachshund and when he was one yr old I got a female scottie and i cried my eyes out b/c Bama seemed so jealous and miserable. She was hyper and would take all his toys and treats away from him. But, everyone kept telling me that it would work out , and one day out of the blue they started playing together and have done great ever since.
[notify]