GO!

What breed for a house full of cats?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 6 of 6: Viewing entries 51 to 59)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Sun Dec 3, '06 11:53pm PST 
Lily- Our boss (the vet) has been trying to convince her to get a Springer puppy. He shows and does obedience trials with Springers and has for a great deal of his life. His efforts have been futile so far in convincing her. Her past three dogs have been: The English Cocker Spaniel, A Llhasa/Tzu mix, and a Chi (mix I think). She wants a little floofie dog I think, and that's why she's chosen a Shih Tzu. We have advised her to wait a little while to get a puppy since her husband is still going through chemo and going to the doctor a lot which takes up a lot of her time, and she is also a full time volunteer/minister at her church, so her schedule is full!
[notify]
Lily CGC- 2001-2014

Enjoying- Retirement

Barked: Tue Dec 5, '06 5:50pm PST 
HEHE a springer might be just what she needs. Not a wild one but a calm one. Yes we do exist.

Shih tzus are not the world most intelligent breed. I've know many and am not very impressed with their intelligence.

After having had many other dogs Lily is the smartest of them all and most eager to please. The dogs that would be the next intelligent that I've had were spaniel mixes. Look what Lily has accomplished. She is a service dog that knows a good many tasks and is reliable on doing them.

If your friend wants a dog to put in a purse and carry around then maybe the other breed will be a better idea but if she wants a breed that will be easy to train and participate in doggy sports then a springer is the way to go. Also springers tend to have the habit of following you around and are very affectionate. Actually if you don't give them attention and they want it they will nudge you and insist on being pet. Which is great if you've had a hard day. They also a very eager to please. Their coat is alot less work to. I just brush mine once a week or whenever she has stuff stuck in her hair. She gets groomed every few months to keep her back short. Really she doesn't need to be trimmed and would be fluffy if I let it grow but she looks alot neater with the springer cut and less hair to comb. Maybe you should send her my way and I'll tell her why my breed is so great.
[notify]
Lily CGC- 2001-2014

Enjoying- Retirement

Barked: Tue Dec 5, '06 5:52pm PST 
Oh and also because of her schedual she would be better off adopting a calm adult instead of a pup. All pups need lots or work and attention. Puppies of busy people usually don't get the attention or discipline they need.
[notify]

Rosa

wanted toy thief

Barked: Sat Dec 9, '06 2:14pm PST 
Hi~
Papillons are a small breed that are generally friendly and are known to like cats. Rosa gets along very well with our cat Jasmine and seems to prefer her company more than another dog.
[notify]
Bentley,- King of the- World

I ate- Miracle-Gro.

Barked: Mon Dec 11, '06 7:01am PST 
I would have recommended a Great Dane, because we are so gentle, and low-energy, and we easily get along with kitties (and any other little creatures we meet!). Plus, easy to train, and easy to housebreak!

But alas, it sounds like we will be out of the question for these small, fluffy-dog lovers. They are elderly people, and in poor health... if they had a dane, they would never have to bend down and pick their dog up to put it on their laps; we would just sit right down on them!
[notify]
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Mon Dec 11, '06 7:43pm PST 
I told you all she would switch breeds in no time!

She now is considering an Australian Shepherd. A lady that used to work at the same clinic we work at (and who now runs the local Aussie Rescue and is one of the best groomers around and brings all of her resuces and her dogs to us) may be "hooking her up".

I myself think it is a poor idea as she is spending a lot of time tending to her husband, volunteering in several different ministry positions, tending to her 7 cats, and on top of that, working. I personally think an Aussie will need a lot more attention, time, and energy than what she has.

She may be re-routed back to the Shih Tzu however, as her husband doesn't want a "big" dog, and considers Aussies (even the minis) a LARGE breed.
[notify]
Eve

Eve: aka Evil- Sidewinder

Barked: Tue Dec 12, '06 7:40am PST 
definitely not me..... but there was a time in mom's life when she had two springers & 2 cats & they all got along beautifully. the cats came first, the dogs came later, but all co-habitated excellently & many a morn mom woke up with all four in bed with her! not once in their lifetime did dog or cat ever turn on each other, even when they were stealing each others food & eating out of the dish at the same time. except for the time Charlie & Buster {the canines} got into it, & that was a quick fix with a neutering job on poor Buster. but alas .....me i hate kitties, maybe cause i never saw one until i ended up here. they sure don't like me! they are not the same ones i was talking about earlier either, i don't think these crazy cats ever saw a dog before either! especially a hyper Boxer like myself. oh well gotta go eat......keep up my strength for chasing kitties....Eve
[notify]
Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister

Barked: Tue Dec 12, '06 12:42pm PST 
I agree Grace! With all that she has going on right now.. I think an Aussie would be one of the worst breeds she could get right now!

Not to mention.. in my experience having had 2 fosters - one a purebred border collie and another one blue heeler/border collie mix... they were NOT good with cats!
[notify]
SPADE

SPADEY DGAF*!*

Barked: Tue Dec 12, '06 6:43pm PST 
we have two full time inside cats along with our Toy Fox terrier... when we first brought the puppy the cats DID NOT like him.... now they all love eachother... especially my male cat, he loves our doggie!
[notify]
  (Page 6 of 6: Viewing entries 51 to 59)  
1  2  3  4  5  6