GO!

lonesome/twosome?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3  
Mikhail (at- Rainbow- Bridge)

Have puddle,- will splash

Barked: Sun Nov 26, '06 3:02am PST 
well, hershey, we live in an apartment which has highly polished floors. being a big dog, mikhail's legs kept slipping. his joints were affected from that. he doesn't have hip displaysia, so the breeder was kind enough to offer to keep mikhail on the farm, to strengthen his legs. the farm's kennel has unpolished clay tile flooring and large stretches of land for them to roam around.

unfortunately, mikhail's legs never formed properly and he walks with slightly splayed feet.

about returning a pup. i would also never do that. that's why i'm so worried about getting the right pup.

may be i am making too much out of it - searchng for a problem where there is none.

maybe i should just go ahead with a shelter pup and just keep my fingers crossd that it develops no health or behavioural problems.

lots of people have mimutts an shelter pups and they seem to be doing ok.
[notify]
Wishbone

Wishbone aka- wiggle butt

Barked: Sun Nov 26, '06 4:35am PST 
I would suggest adopting a little bit older pup - say 8 months to a year. That way you would be more likely to know the temperment and activity level of the dog. A lot of shelters also let you bring your dog to meet the new dog you are thinking about adopting. So, go out on a weekend or when you have a couple of hours and really let the dogs interact to see how they are going to get along. This also takes care of the problem of introducing them on neutral territory. If you aren't sure after this introduction go back for a second or third visit - the older dogs are rarely adopted immediately.

I've always had mixed shelter dogs and can usually tell the dog's main breed. That should help you when looking at inherited health problems and what characteristics to expect.

While it is true that shelter pups and dogs are returned, from my experience, it is because the owners didn't put enough thought and research into what type of dog to get and then didn't do any training with the dog after getting it. Many dogs are returned for barking, chewing, not housebroken, jumping, etc - these are very normal dog behaviors and if trained most of these behaviors can be redirected or resolved.

You sound like you really want to adopt a shelter dog so I would say go for it - no matter what everyone else thinks. The most important thing is that you would be saving a doggie's life and that you would love it.
[notify]
Mikhail (at- Rainbow- Bridge)

Have puddle,- will splash

Barked: Sun Nov 26, '06 10:05am PST 
actually, wishbone, i was hoping for a small pup, so Mikhail doesn't feel threatened.
but what you're saying makes sense
[notify]

Jazzy

Barked: Fri Dec 15, '06 12:02pm PST 
mikhail's mom

I would'nt care what family members or neighbors thought. I come from a family that were NOT animal lovers but because of me and my love for animals, they are more caring towards animals and greet my fur kids with open arms when I visit.

so in saying that, it all starts with you. you can change the way they look at "mutts"

*I cant stand people that would look down on an animal or a child for that matter*
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3