GO!

lonesome/twosome?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Mikhail (at- Rainbow- Bridge)

Have puddle,- will splash

Barked: Fri Nov 24, '06 9:54am PST 
my purebred male labrador is almost 3 years old - he's 2 years and 9 months old, to be exact.

i have been thinking that he needs a companion. another furball to just to share his doggy secrets with.
i can't bear the thought of getting a female and then having to sell or give away the puppies. i'd never be able to live with the thought of them maybe not going to proper homes.
we also thought that we could mate him with someone else's female and keep one of his sons. but we just can't seem to find a mate, since he's never won any show rank.

i would love to adopt a stray, but my husband says that there will be alot of discrimination by guests and other family members, which the stray would feel, no matter how much love WE would give it.

being a labrador, mikhail's puppy-stage ends around the age of 3. i'd like for him to have a brother/sister before then.

i'd be grateful for any advice.
[notify]
Pirate CGC

Bunny-Butts are- the only way.

Barked: Fri Nov 24, '06 10:17am PST 
Your female doesn't have to be able to breed; You could have the female spayed before she ever enters the picture, and therefor your pup wouldn't have any ambitions of making babies with her. You can get a puppy who is only 8 weeks old and they can STILL be spayed before they reach your house.

Two males don't always take to living together as quickly or in as much harmony as a male and a female would.
[notify]
Cinnamon Grrrl

The Little Bad- Wolf

Barked: Fri Nov 24, '06 10:30am PST 
I don't understand the "discrimination by guests and other family members" part at all....
[notify]

Nina Angel

Smaller Than I- Think

Barked: Fri Nov 24, '06 10:32am PST 
Yeah, I was wondering about that too.

Not too many people care what type of dog you have unless they're hardcore dog show people or something....People tend to think any kind of dog is cute, really.

I know my friend has a mutt, and I adore it. She doesn't have problems with guests thinking it's not cute or they don't think much of it or something like that. They adore it no matter what. A dog is a thing that attracts praise and affection, naturally.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Nov 24, '06 10:42am PST 
where i live, most people view dogs as possessions. keeping a mutt is like a big no-no. that's why im so concerned.
i just need to know that if i get a stray pup, will it pick up on the obvious discrimination that will happen?
if not, i'll probably go to a shelter to adopt one.
i've been trying to convince my husband for the last two years.
i know that mutts are the most resilient, health-wise, but my vet and a few dog books at a friend's house say that being a mix, you can't really be sure of their temperament. Mikhail is a very docile dog.
we live in an apartment and my husband has a transferable job. so we live in apartments, wherever we go. i need to have a dog that won't make to much noise or be too agressive.
[notify]
Nina Angel

Smaller Than I- Think

Barked: Fri Nov 24, '06 10:47am PST 
I doubt the mutt will be aware that people don't like him if they don't. The only opinion it really cares about is the one who spends the most time with it (at least that's what I think).

And also, the best way to figure out whether or not a mutt is tempermental or calm, is to see if it has a backstory. And if not, then maybe choose to foster it for a bit to see how it acts with your existing dog. And if it doesn't work out, then take it back.

Assuming your shelter permits that kind of thing.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Nov 24, '06 11:19am PST 
nina, i think that's a terrific idea - the one about foster home.
thanks!
[notify]
Nina Angel

Smaller Than I- Think

Barked: Fri Nov 24, '06 11:21am PST 
You're welcome! I remembered seeing something on Animal Planet about shelters that have fostering programs.
[notify]
Harry

Mad Mutt

Barked: Fri Nov 24, '06 11:32am PST 
Shelters have purebreds too you know. No one need ever know. Anyway rescueing a dog is something to be proud of. Tell your neighbours what a wonderfull pet the shelter dog has become and how you didn't have to deal with all the mess and poo puppies create. If your so set on a pup, why not a purebred shelter pup? To be honest though I don't see why you need a pedigree to be a great pet. Dogs aren't ornaments just so you can keep up with the neighbours
[notify]
Maggie

Moo Moo Magoo!

Barked: Fri Nov 24, '06 11:37am PST 
I can't believe that anyone would think that a 'mutt' is less than a PB ...if you want to adopt I say go for it, who cares what other people think. In the end you will be the wonderful person who saved a life - unlike those ppl in your area....
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3