GO!

Bullmastiff 101

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 6 of 6: Viewing entries 51 to 55)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  

Barked: Fri Jun 21, '13 11:58am PST 
I have been studying Mastiff breeds for many years and would like to clarify a few things: The only true Spanish Mastiff is the Mastin Espanol. It is believed to be descended from Greek Dogs brought to Spain via Greek and Phoenician maritime traders starting around 1,000 B.C. Presa Canarios are a breed of Mastiff that actually originated on Spain's Canary Islands. The Boerboel was created when the DeBeers company imported Bullmastiffs to guard their South African diamond mines, and those dogs bred with native African Mollosser-type dogs. The Dogo Argentino is from Argentina and is technically not a Mastiff. The breed was created by Antonio Nores Martinez using the now-extinct Cordoba Fighting Dog as a base for the breed. It was bred primarily to hunt wild boar and puma. Neapolitan Mastiffs are Italian, not French. As a rule, they have very strong alpha tendencies.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 1:18pm PST 
Bump for Molson

Edited by author Sat Jul 13, '13 1:20pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 13, '13 6:01pm PST 
I simply adore my BullMastiff. My only regret is that I didn't get one earlier in my life. He is a great dog. My English Mastiff is the territorial one. smile Love them both. I do agree though - unless there is a very very good reason not to spay or neuter please do so. There are too many animals out there needing homes.
[notify]

Barked: Sun May 25, '14 2:49pm PST 
I would just like to say that I am a proud owner of a bullmastiff female and she is the best dog I've ever owned. She may not listen as well as I'd like, but she loves me and she's never attacked me or any other animals. Even after moving her from one home to the next where there were multiple different dogs she did very well. Just wanted to throw somethin positive in this post.
[notify]

Barked: Thu May 29, '14 5:44pm PST 
An age old thread. No idea why the person who started it (the OP) took the time to write such a long post, criticizing a particular breed.
The Bullmastiff is a wonderful breed when bred, trained and socialized properly. Much of what she wrote can be attributed to any large breed. Change the name to Rottweiler, Akita, or German Shepherd and... voila. Of course, bad breeding, with no attention to temperament and health can lead to unpleasant results with any breed.
Bullmastiffs rule!

Edited by author Thu May 29, '14 5:44pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 6 of 6: Viewing entries 51 to 55)  
1  2  3  4  5  6