|Barked: Sun May 20, '07 6:47am PST |
|I think Carolina Dogs have some ability to make their owners want to talk about them nonstop... we adore ours and tell stories about him constantly!
We lucked into getting JD... we had a sheltie already and I really wanted a second dog. My husband liked Shepherds, I liked Goldens, and I found a mix of the two out on petfinder.com. He was 4 months old, very shy, and just stared at Tory (our submissive sheltie... other puppies we'd looked at had bared teeth and growled, so staring was a good sign!) JD came home with us that day and nothing's ever been the same since
It's funny to read the traits the other dogs have, and think "he's exactly like that!" He's certainly got these traits...
- smells like a baby, even when wet (none of the "dog" smell, just very good "JD" smell)
- very soft fur, even though it's so short
- very clean (well, HE is... he brings in a lot of sticks to eat inside)
- incredibly sure-footed and sturdy - he whacks his head on any number of things and keeps going - he has an incredibly high pain tolerance compared to Tory, who screams and jumps if you get 2" near his tail
- quiet - except that Tory taught him how to bark. But he's much more intune to what he's barking at!
- excellent hiker - he knows where he's going, what he's smelling, where to go (when we haven't been on the trail before!)
- LOYAL - he knows we're his family. He's skittish of new people, seems to like women more than men, and very timid of children, but he's never growled, bared his teeth, or anything... he just runs as far away as he can get
- uses his paws like hands. His first month home he tried to open the door with his paws first, then his mouth. We must have said something, because he hasn't tried that again (surprising, because he's grown and could easily get the door open now), but he's learned that he can wave at us with his paws. He also knocks on the doors with his "fingers", and tries to pet us... sometimes this doesn't work so well because of his toenails.
- SMART... we have a brainiac son. You can tell he watches, looks, learns, and *thinks*! We're also pretty sure sometimes the noises he makes are attempts at words (like Mooommmmm, and Please).
Yep, I could go on and on...!
to Carolina Dogs!!
|my posts | my page | msg me | my family's posts | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|