GO!

New pup

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Charlie- Bravo

Barked: Tue Oct 19, '10 12:27pm PST 
We just got our new bullmastiff puppy yesterday. I have experience with the breed but as adults, not so much puppies. So far we think he is great. He is 8 weeks and about 20lbs. He is pretty shy though but I assume that is because his new environment. I was wondering if any of your bullmastiff veterans have any tips or advice for us.

Right now we are tackling potty training and walking with a leash. I have had his colar and leash on him all day around the house (he won't leave my side) and it seems to be helping him get used to it. I can get him to walk with me on the leash outside for a cuople steps until something spooks him and he tries to pull away and back up. When he does that, I bend down and encourage him to come forward and not let him move backwards. Is that the right approach? Potty training, I assume, is similar to any other puppy. Take outside often especially after naps and eating and praise for going potty.

We are very excited to have our Charlie. I am happy to have found this forum for future advice and stories. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be giving out the advice. haha...

Thank you in advance,
Amber
[notify]
Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 1:27pm PST 
Hi Amber, welcome and congrats on your new little one! He's gorgeous!

Puppies can be timid to new surroundings as they lack confidence. However this is especially true of the Bullmastiff breed. There's no need to be walking him so soon, let him settle in a bit more. Dragging his lead is a great idea though to get him used to just having it around. Bullmastiff pups spook easily, so pushing him into doing something he's not ready for can set him back in his future training. Your pup needs to trust you and building such a bond will take time. Let him go at his own pace.

Kahuna was a scaredy pup for up to 1yr at least (with walks). A crack in the sidewalk, the curb on the sidewalk, trashcans, a leaf or stick in his path, a plane going by (he'd lower his head thinking it was going to land on his head) all unnerved him. He'd freeze in fear. When he was your pups age and somewhat older he'd sit down outside (or in) and NOT BUDGE. Yes at first we'd pick him up, but eventually he became too heavy. So I would give a short gentle *tug* then release on the lead and say "Come". If he didn't move I repeated it the same way. If he moved one foot I would repeat again. This would usually get him moving. Repeat as many times as it takes to get him moving forward. Be patient and praise in a high happy voice once he's moving along. And yes he may sit his chubby butt down again! Repeat ,repeat, repeat ha!

I'll tell my fried Brit to send you an invite to Bodacious Bullmastiffs here on Dogster and to the one on facebook! Dana
[notify]
Charlie- Bravo

Barked: Wed Oct 20, '10 3:41pm PST 
Charlie does the same thing outside. He sits down and has this look on his face like ...not moving! I started taking him for walks with his leash dragging and thats been going really great. How long did it take you to potty train Kahuna? I ask b/c I have really big rugs on my hard wood floors that I put away until he is trained. Wondering how long I should plan on keeping them up.

Looking forward to the facebook and group invite. Here is my fb url.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=638213086
[notify]

Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Thu Oct 21, '10 12:17pm PST 
Honestly sorry to say he wasn't fully potty trained until around 1yr I think? He loved to walk and pee. Never seen anything like it, just mosy along while peeing on the tile floors. Once I ran after him trying to stop him. Naturally this made him run (and pee). I ended up slipping and falling right on my ass then back with a thud, letting out a big "Whooooop"! My hubby came and picked me up as I was laying right in the pee trail..........ready to cry....

We had 6 other dogs at the time, including a tiny Chi pup and tiny Griff pup. BOTH trained long before him! Anyhoo one day he just stopped the walking and peeing inside.

Our female Bullmastiff was potty trained by her 2nd week with us (at 12wks). And this was with a bladder infection! I really don't know why........... Hang in there ALL puppies are different. We've raised at least 12 all from pups so I really know. Hope that helps! Dana
[notify]
Bella and- Abby

Barked: Wed Nov 10, '10 7:54pm PST 
Congrats on the new pup! We have our first Bullmastiff 'Judge' in obedience classes and it has REALLY helped. He was never bad, but we wanted to make sure we could handle him when he was grown. It also helped tremendously with socialization. He always gets along great with small dogs (we have three of those as well), but he would sometimes take exception with big dogs getting in his face. Taking classes has helped tremendously just because he has learned that most of the doggies out there just want to be his friend. Like Kahuna, Judge likes to walk around the house and pee as he goes. Thank God for tile floors. He always goes when we take him outside, but will often just walk around the house letting it fly... I am hoping that maturity and neuturing will help. Other than that little issue, he is a great dog. He is the star of the show at PetSmart and loves everyone. I think you have chosen a great breed and look forward to hearing about his progress.
[notify]