GO!

My little Angel has started her season.

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Angel- Spencer

Barked: Tue Apr 14, '09 5:16am PST 
My dog has started her season and I have been thinking about allowing her to have pups. I would be most grateful if any one can give me some advise. I want to keep at least one pup but As Angel is so loving I would like to breed her with a dog that has nice treats. Can Any one help.
[notify]
Zeus

The ledgend- lives on.

Barked: Sun Apr 19, '09 11:52am PST 
Hi, Angel's owner! Nice to meet you! wave

First and foremost, do you have any prior experience with breeding? Have you ever raised a litter of puppies?

Next, does Angel have any health certifications? (OFA, PennHip, Cerf'd, ect?) If she has passed all of these with acceptable scores that help (but do not guarantee) to ensure the health of her puppies - make sure her potential sire has done the same. However, I see she is only one year old - so it is impossible for her to have many of these health tests done. (Minimum age of testing for many is age two - because a dog less than the age of two is considered too young to breed.) It is also quite important that they both have a brucellosis test done ahead of time. (Read the link for reasoning.)

I would suggest reading many of the links provided here in the Woodhaven Labrador Breeding Section.

Many problems can arise by sweet Angel not being spayed - including both mammary cancer and pyometra - both of which are potentially deadly and mighty costly to attempt to treat.

Also, keep in consideration that many Bullmastiffs must deliver their pups via c-section which is also very costly and risky procedure. Besides the c-section - consider the total cost of a litter and the responsiblity that will be put on your shoulders and conscience to put upwards of possibly fifteen puppies in good forever homes.

Overall, it will be easier on both you and her in the long run and far safer for her to go in for a simple spay operation. I personally prefer to leave the breeding to the professionals - and not contribute to the overpopulation of our breed in shelters and rescue - which is littered with and has a tough time dealing with all of the homeless Bullmastiffs out there already.
[notify]