GO!

housebreaking

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Logan

I can do no- wrong:)

Barked: Wed Jun 3, '09 10:28am PST 
How long did it take your Boxer to learn to use the outdoors for the restroom? Logan is only 8 weeks old but lots of people are telling me he should have been trained in a week and I've had him for two. I'm just curious how long it took you and what special tips you may have?!blue dog
[notify]
♥- Apollo- ♥

Mine! Mine!- Mine!

Barked: Wed Jun 3, '09 11:04am PST 
Logan - no worries. Some dogs take longer than others. You should be noticing improvements after a week but it all depends on how consistant you are.
Consistancy is the key to housebreaking any dog and Boxers are no different.
There are 100's of free articles on this subject.
Mainly every time the dog wakes up from a nap take him outside. If he eats take him outside. Use the same place and same word, praise when they do it. Don't take them back inside until they have done the deed.
Crate the puppy at night in a crate that allows him to turn and get comfortable but not one big enough he could potty and get away from it.
If the puppy wakes up and cries during the night you need to get up. Letting a puppy sleep loose or not getting up to let it go in the middle of the night leads to poor potty training and just extends the time it takes to train them. They get confused.
Where is the puppy while you are away during the day?
[notify]
Logan

I can do no- wrong:)

Barked: Wed Jun 3, '09 2:24pm PST 
Well, I'm actually not away during the day as I'm a stay at home mom. It just all seems much easier said than done! I've read quite a few articles and they all pretty much say those same things, but Logan uses the restroom at random times and usually without warning. I have him on a set feeding schedule and do use a crate at night (what a lifesaver!). I suppose everything will work out in time. It's just exhausting!
[notify]

Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Thu Jun 4, '09 12:18am PST 
Remember, usually about 30 minutes after meal times in a good time for a potty break. Stay outside until he goes, then you praise and come back in. You can also tether (use a leash looped onto your belt or whatever) Logan to you. That way you're always aware of him and hopefully will see his signs before he goes.

Don't stress yet. Max took a while. I think it was about 3-4 weeks before we didn't have any accidents.. And then Sam had the "EPS," aka Excited Pee Syndrome big laugh . Basically whenever he got really excited he'd just squirt... I don't even think he realized he was going.

If it persists, you can ask your vet to make sure there's no infections. A UTI could explain unexpected urination, but I think it's just practice makes perfect at this point.

Good luck!
[notify]
♥- Apollo- ♥

Mine! Mine!- Mine!

Barked: Thu Jun 4, '09 5:29am PST 
I have to tell you the hard potty training is just setting you up for life with a boxer......
Next will come insatiable chewing until they are about 2 maybe 2 1/2. Hang in there and around 2 1/2 to 3 you will have an awesome energetic dog.!!
[notify]