GO!

need advice about getting fixed

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

tyson

Barked: Sun Oct 19, '08 1:25pm PST 
im getting fixed on wednesday is this a good choice? i herd it will calm me down. i wanted to breed but tyson is hyper. he loves going for our feet and hands. any advice would help. i need to update my pics.
[notify]
Fonzie

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 1:35pm PST 
How old is he. I was told my boxer will calm down around 2 years old, the only reason I would do it is if it is a health problem.
[notify]
Gwydion

Boxer Gentleman

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 8:11pm PST 
Uhm...... Your Boxer is not likely to calm down much energy wise from being fixed. We are called the peter pan of the dog world for a reason. It WILL help on some health issues that come from being in tact, and it WILL help a bit on those hormonal issues that will crop up at sexual maturity (with some dogs)

We applaud your choice not to breed though. Its a huge undertaking to do it right, and not something to do if you aren't 110% ready for the challenge.
[notify]

Rocco

Don't let things- bother you!

Barked: Tue Oct 21, '08 8:52pm PST 
Well, it helped me with my macho man-ness and I always wanted to fulfill but was not allowed so I was going crazy. I'm much more better behaved after I was fixed- I have doggy friends now and not competition. I'm a family man now. It helped with prostate issues too.

About the energy, we are boxers. At 12 there are times I still act like a goof. The only change mom saw in me was at 4. But we're an active bunch.

As far as breeding, there is a lot more too it than you would think.
Great link on studding a boxer
Studding a boxer
[notify]