GO!

Neuter question

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Howie

This is Howie- Do-it

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '07 1:16pm PST 
I got snipped when I was 8 months old. The vet said they normally like to do it around 6 months old, but ....well....one of mine hadn't dropped yet. So she said we should wait a couple of months to see if it dropped on its own so that they wouldn't have to....go in after it. But it didn't ever drop, so at 8 months they neutered me. She said she'd rather go in after it than wait too long. Because if you wait too long the testosterone will start to kick in and you will start to act a little too masculine....i.e. mounting and marking territory and maybe even acting aggressive. At 8 months old my testosterone was already starting to kick in, but once I got neutered I was quite the little gentleman--you know, as much as a boxer can be.
[notify]
Beta

What...What?

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '08 1:44pm PST 
I am too lazy to start another thread on this but question on the testerone production with the Boxer...

When does it start kicking in? Beethoven isn't marking or humping but we are hoping that we will get the snip done before it happens.

What signs should we be looking for? He is showing a willingness to be the dog leader and we have been specifically training the dogs rank structure with Beethoven at the head, so because of that and the fact that he has only been with us for just under 2 months now, it is hard to tell if he is getting into that "manly man" dog phase.

We have been burning up the SPCA's phone answering machine trying to get the appointment set, but no one has called back, and we have a Basset who is in the final stage of his life and on expensive meds right now, so we really can't afford to just run Beethoven into our vet to get the surgery done. We did have her clear him healthwise for the surgery because he had been emaciated when he came to live with us.

So what should we be looking for with him? He is a really laid back boy, he is mildly assertive but not aggressive at all, does this change markedly when the testerone starts flowing?

Also, if he goes into that stage before he is neutered will that dominance/manly man thing stick around with him? Or will he mellow back to his current laid back self?

He is as active as any pup his age would be. He can run literally for over an hour when off his leash at the dog park, and walk until our legs are falling off. He loves all other dogs even the unneutered males that he plays with at the dog park.
[notify]
Gwydion

Boxer Gentleman

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '08 5:53am PST 
your page says you are a year. Usually anytime between a year, and a year and a half is when it starts, and it starts fast. Thank dog it only lasted for like 2 or 3 months where I had dom issues. Now I can play with most dogs, but others take offense to me being in tact so I sometimes have trouble with other dogs going for me when I am just standing there.

Once you reach this point, neutering will help a little, but you are not going to start reverting back to puppy mellow. I would get it done soon, since you are planning on getting it done. Have you checked online at all your local places for a low income spay & neuter coupon? In this area, you can get them from several sources. Humane society is one. Good luck B! wave
[notify]

Beta

What...What?

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '08 5:12am PST 
They finally got his appt set for Jan. 29. We don't have a humane society out here, our version is the SPCA but at least we know he is getting it done in a matter of weeks now.

way to go Other dogs really have a problem with him being intact too. Its what happens when you have a Boxer I guess, the other dogs can't help but be jealous of such a stud!
[notify]
Brewski

You going to eat- that????

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '08 11:34am PST 
I was neutered at 6 months the vet told us this was the best time to have this done, I had a little touble because one of my testies did not dropped so the vet had to go in and find it, but he did and all was well and I feel great!!
[notify]
Rocksteady

Barked: Wed Jun 29, '11 5:04pm PST 
thank you, i cut my leg and am going in for sergury, i though that i heard of this before, so my Daddy signed my up to this site to make sure.
No Ace for the Rocksteady!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2