GO!

House breaking a Border Collie

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '12 9:57am PST 
I have a 10 week old border collie. No doubt she is one smart dog. I got her 4 weeks ago and already she learned about 10 commands.

But I am finding house breaking difficult. I am showing displeasure when she does it in the middle of the room and when she realises that I am not happy she scoots to the spot were she's supposed to pee.

If only she scoots before the business! smile

Is there something I could try or am I expecting too much out of my dog at 10 weeks of age?
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '12 6:35pm PST 
What do you mean by "the spot were she's supposed to pee"?
If you are attempting to pee-pad train, that could be the start of your issues there.
A 10 week old puppy does not have sufficient mental capacity at that age to properly differentiate between the "pee-pad" and the carpet.
Sure, she scoots to where you are wanting her to go, but that doesn't mean that she is understanding that is where to urinate.

If you live in an apartment and that's your reasoning behind using these, try putting it out on the balcony. At the very least she will be able to tell some difference between the inside and out.

10 weeks old is much too young to expect to be even close to perfect, supervision and confinement at this age is key.
At this age you should be keeping a close eye on her at all times. Watch for telltale signs that she's needing to go (sniffing, circling, posturing etc.). The first sign you see of this, you take her outside or where you want her to go.
When she relieves herself in the correct spot, use lots of praise, let her know she is doing the right thing.

When you are not able to properly supervise, she should be in her crate.
[notify]